Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lund 1775 Pro-V Battery compartment- off gassing? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 04-30-2020, 10:19 AM
Wallhanger

Default Lund 1775 Pro-V Battery compartment- off gassing?

I have a '14 Lund Pro-V 1775 with a center battery compartment located just below my rod locker. I currently have a 24V system with (2) Group 27 Fleet Farm/ Deka East Penn AGM batteries (175 RC) in that battery compartment that I installed in 2014. That battery compartment is pretty tight and has very little ventilation. When I originally installed those batteries, I went with AGM's to minimize the potential risk due to off-gassing.

For the record, I have had amazing luck with those AGM batteries. I have abused them a ton, and they have finally died. I can't believe they lasted this long given how much I have abused them.

Unfortunately, my work hours have been cut, and I don't have enough cash to replace them. I am considering buying a set of flooded call batteries just to keep my cost down.

I tend to fish 10-12 hour days and run the batteries down. I have a 15a Dual Pro Charger to recharge/ maintain them.

Any thoughts as to whether there is much of a risk secondary to off-gassing considering that the batteries are located in a compartment below another compartment?

Or, am I being overly cautious?
Mercury Marine Enertia 14-5/8 x 16 Pitch SS 3 blade prop (5700 RPM's WOT/ 46.2 MPH)
OMC Tech Series Gauges
Stupid people die first then they come back again as beer cans....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2020, 11:09 AM
Wallhanger

You might want to look at yellow knifes post. He is having allot of gassing using 15 amp charger. Not sure it is from the charger. I suppose you do not want to move all your fishing rods. Otherwise you could just leave your compartments open while charging.
Old 04-30-2020, 02:25 PM
Wallhanger

Thank you for the response. I did see his post. It was what motivated me to make my post.

I generally have my rod locker full. AND, if my boat is sitting at a resort and I am recharging my batteries daily, it's simply not practical for me to empty the rod locker out and open everything up to charge.

Lund Pro-V's with that battery compartment are common. I was just curious if everyone was oblivious to the off gassing issue, or are they buying AGM batteries? Or is this a non-issue?
Mercury Marine Enertia 14-5/8 x 16 Pitch SS 3 blade prop (5700 RPM's WOT/ 46.2 MPH)
OMC Tech Series Gauges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2020, 08:12 PM
Wallhanger

I have a Lund Pro Guide, with a similar if not the same trolling motor battery compartment located below the rod storage area. I run two Wal Mart Everstarts 29 Deep Cycles lead acid. MK 315 charger. I have never loosened or taken the battery compartment off, when charging. I have never had an issue, with that set up. These particular batteries don't seem to off gas much, as I hardly ever have to add water to them. I typically fish 4-5 hours, with the 80# MK usually set on 4.5-5.0. The gauge on the TM base only shows a discharge of about 25%. I have not ever tested the amount of discharge with a more precise meter.

Now, the starting battery goes in a separate compartment, also in the floor. I noticed over the winter it was not holding a charge very long. So upon replacing it earlier this month I noticed I had an issue with some paint bubbling in the compartment, caused from acid from the battery. What really happened I don't know. I replaced that battery with a Duracell AGM, basically on HRG's recommendation. Came to about $198 with tax, and after 10% discount, and $10 rebate: https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...ls/sli27magmdc

Sams Club has the same battery cheaper, but I don't have the $45 membership. I looked quite a bit, only two places that I found that carry that Duracall AGM is Sam's & Batteries Plus.

Hope this might help, Gregory

Last edited by GOS; 04-30-2020 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:00 AM
Wallhanger

Z, sorry for your financial situation. I have owned a Pro-V for 18 years. Since the first set of batteries I have used AGM. The TM batteries,for me were next to impossible for me to check the fluid levels. Maybe lazy but it was near an hours job to unload the rod locker,pull the separator out,crawl into the hole and check fluids using a flashlight to see inside. And then put it all back. I did it once and that was it. There was corrosion galore when I put new ones in after 2 years. AGM from then on. Do what you have to do but it is not a good solution. Bob
Old 05-02-2020, 04:15 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
Z, sorry for your financial situation. I have owned a Pro-V for 18 years. Since the first set of batteries I have used AGM. The TM batteries,for me were next to impossible for me to check the fluid levels. Maybe lazy but it was near an hours job to unload the rod locker,pull the separator out,crawl into the hole and check fluids using a flashlight to see inside. And then put it all back. I did it once and that was it. There was corrosion galore when I put new ones in after 2 years. AGM from then on. Do what you have to do but it is not a good solution. Bob
This is EXACTLY how I feel about it. The hassle of just getting to the batteries and then trying to top off the water levels is ridiculous. Today is Wisconsin's walleye opener and I only got about 3 hours of run time on my old batteries which is roughly 25% of what I used to get. I have to replace the batteries. My old AGM's had a 175 Reserve Capacity.

I don't have a Sam's Club membership, so I'll start shopping online to see if I can find a decent deal from Blain's Farm & Fleet, or Mill's Fleet farm. I would think that there should be some AGM's on sale on the lead up to the Minnesota fishing opener next weekend.
OMC Tech Series Gauges

Tags
agm , battery , off gassing