Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Future Of Tournament Angling - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 11-16-2012, 04:06 AM
Wallhanger

Default Future Of Tournament Angling

Let me first say this........................I feel tournaments are important to the sport of angling for many reasons I won't take the time to list. I will miss the FLW and all that goes with it including the magazine and the stories with the anglers.

But...................speaking with a respected media, long time professional angler. I asked this question...................

What do you see the future of tournament angling to be? Answer tougher and tougher to make living doing it and becoming more of a recreational activity!!!
ii
Have we seen tournaments settling into their niche? I feel tournaments got out of hand and have come back into reality and are now poised for long slow sustained growth which in the long run is far better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 10:15 PM
Worn out

It will continue to be nothing important.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Korsgaden View Post
Let me first say this........................I feel tournaments are important to the sport of angling for many reasons I won't take the time to list. I will miss the FLW and all that goes with it including the magazine and the stories with the anglers.

But...................speaking with a respected media, long time professional angler. I asked this question...................

What do you see the future of tournament angling to be? Answer tougher and tougher to make living doing it and becoming more of a recreational activity!!!
ii
Have we seen tournaments settling into their niche? I feel tournaments got out of hand and have come back into reality and are now poised for long slow sustained growth which in the long run is far better.
For a very, very select few they will continue to make a living from fishing. As the companies consolidate there becomes less need to have as many "pro's" pimping the product. What you will find in my opinion is the few left will need to do more and be better off the water. More seminars, more public appearances, more media. On the water? It really doesn't matter. The events will fill according to the cost of entry fee vs the reward. If the entry is low the locals and weekend warriors will fill it up. While having big names around helps with the publicity it doesn't do anything for the event if they can fill it up. Now I'm talking local events, the national tours are different animals altogether.

Personally, and I've said this before is I think they are taking a hobby and trying to make a "paying sport" out of it. For me as a consumer these trails make almost zero difference. I don't buy the need for tournaments to discover techniques and baits. They always can be sold through advertising of the fishing shows and magazine / Internet sites.

So to sum it up, I don't really care if they continue or not. For myself it won't matter.

It's like the 2 line issue Gary. A few guys care, the rest will go with the flow.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 07:20 PM
Slot Fish

Pro are out there to compete in a sport they love why does everyone have to bash walleye tournaments? A lot goes into the preparation to compete at that level. For those of you who don't believe in the toTournament aspect that's fine keep it to your self. To be able to compete takes alot I'm willing to bet anyone who replies negatively doesn't have the guts to go up against the big boys. I'm going to give it a try will see what happens.Don't bash something you know nothing about !!!
Old 11-17-2012, 08:04 PM
Worn out

I'm willing to bet anyone who replies negatively just doesn't think the activity makes a lick of difference to anything. Doesn't have the guts...try doesn't have the personal wealth to compete with the rich people.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:11 PM
Slot Fish

What's wealth to be able to compete???????
Old 11-17-2012, 08:43 PM
Worn out

You are kidding right? You need extra cash...and lots of it to compete. Like it or not tournaments have run their course, the only reason yet another circuit popped up after the fall of two is it is the only crowd that can afford to buy these boats...the commoner can't. Without the sales to tournament fishermen there would be a few manufactures that would start sinking.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:48 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchboy View Post

Personally, and I've said this before is I think they are taking a hobby and trying to make a "paying sport" out of it.
Dutch, I agree.

In order to have a "paying sport" you have to have people who are willing to pay to actually witness the participants compete, enough interest in the general population that is willing to set aside time to watch the competition via some media, and companies (sponsors) who recognize that there is enough interest to pay for the media time and production.

I don't see that happening for any type of fishing.

Nimstug
Old 11-18-2012, 04:17 AM
Slot Fish

I'm not going to sit here and argu over who has the ability to compete. Bottom line is if your good enough and market yourself right you will have sponsor that will want to partner up with you. I'm not going to say that while starting up your bank account not going to take a hit. If you believe in your self, stay focused and can put your knowledge together consistently you will be as successful. For many it's a pasion and a dream to be able to do what the pros do!
Old 11-18-2012, 06:57 AM
Wallhanger

Todd,
I agree with you that it takes alot of passion for the sport of fishing and yes, it also takes a dream to achieve the goal of becoming a tournament angler. I for one admire anglers that have accomplished their dreams of becoming successful tournament anglers. Most of them started out as most of us have but something inside of them drove them. Many times, I wish that I was more driven myself. It's easy to make excuses why we can't become tournament anglers whether it's a job, our family, money, whatever it may be but in reality, most tournament anglers deal with the same issues, at least early in their careers and they manage to work around them. I believe we all can if we have the passion to do it. It's like any other goal in life. If we want it bad enough, we can all do it.
Why anyone would bash tournament angling and fishing tournaments is beyond my comprehension. They're just doing what they love. If you don't like it, fine.
I don't think guts has anything to do with it. It's confidence in yourself, a competitive spirit, and the willingness to commit to a goal.
Think it costs alot to enter a professional tournament? Yes it does but anyone can save a little at a time until they have an entry fee saved and enter a tournament.