Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Point of long rods - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2020, 12:32 PM
Wallhanger

Default Point of long rods

Seems like every subject has conflicting opinions.

What in your opinion is the advantage of using long rods for trolling? I'm not talking about if you are using planer boards. I understand in that application it helps to improve your spread. I'm asking about 2 or 3 guys in a boat trolling cranks.

Opinions?
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2020, 02:15 PM
Keeper

You must have read my mind, because I was just getting ready to post a question on this. The purpose of long rods is to increase spread between baits without having to use planer boards. So, if you are trolling four lines, two per side, you would have two short 5'-6'6" rods in back and two long 10'-14' rods in front. I grew up trolling offshore Florida for dolphin (mahi-mahi) and tuna. We used really long outriggers for this. We don't use outriggers for walleye, so the long rods come into play. My question is: I have heard that the long rod/ short rod setup is for leadcore. Is there any issue when using this setup for longline braid?
Old 01-26-2020, 07:21 AM
Wallhanger

Everyone has their own way of doing things, but when trolling with four rods out of my boat, we use 10 1/2 footers with lead core straight out on each side to spread the cranks as far as possible without using planer boards and then we run two rods with heavy snapweights almost straight out the back of the boat on each side.
On lakes where we troll following sharp contours instead of trolling in open water on flats, the combination allows us to troll four lines while only rarely tangling lines.
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2020, 10:57 AM
Wallhanger

Many of the area`s I troll are tight and lots of sharp turns in these situations I have rod holders at the back corners of my boat with two rod holders right in front of the motor. My 2 back corner rods will run 3 ways using 2-3 ounce weights on ten footers, the two center rods will run 4-6 ounce 3 ways on 5 foot shorties with this set up I can turn around very quickly with out having to pull in lines. When trolling many river situations I find this works well for me. More open water I run 10 footers out the side more forward and use 8`6`s in my center rear rod holders.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:01 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomP. View Post
Many of the area`s I troll are tight and lots of sharp turns in these situations I have rod holders at the back corners of my boat with two rod holders right in front of the motor. My 2 back corner rods will run 3 ways using 2-3 ounce weights on ten footers, the two center rods will run 4-6 ounce 3 ways on 5 foot shorties with this set up I can turn around very quickly with out having to pull in lines. When trolling many river situations I find this works well for me. More open water I run 10 footers out the side more forward and use 8`6`s in my center rear rod holders.
Do you have any pictures of your setup(s)? I am having a hard time visualizing.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:50 PM
Wallhanger

So getting the rods / crankbaits away from the boat when running multiple rods is 100% the reason people use them. Has nothing to do with not spooking fish closer to the boat?
Old 01-27-2020, 10:13 AM
Keeper

I think it's to keep the cranks separated so they don't tangle.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:35 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by defiant0ne View Post
No I do not, it really is not that difficult I have 2 rod bases in my rear deck in front of the motor about a foot off center on each side.. I then have two rod holders that I added 18 inch extensions to them or I can just use a regular rod holder with out extension. that goes into the two bases in the back deck in front of the motor. My corner bases on the gunwale are about a foot from the transom this keeps all my rod tips out past the back of the boat so when making turns the lines will not cross the big motor unless I do a radical turn, even then if I get on the kicker throttle I can make that turn with out crossing lines or getting them tangled.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:46 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by defiant0ne View Post
No I do not, it really is not that difficult I have 2 rod bases in my rear deck in front of the motor about a foot off center on each side.. I then have two rod holders that I added 18 inch extensions to them or I can just use a regular rod holder with out extension. that goes into the two bases in the back deck in front of the motor. My corner bases on the gunwale are about a foot from the transom this keeps all my rod tips out past the back of the boat so when making turns the lines will not cross the big motor unless I do a radical turn, even then if I get on the kicker throttle I can make that turn with out crossing lines or getting them tangled.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:22 AM
Slot Fish

I run 12' rods outside simply to spread baits, so we can use more rods. Sometimes planers outside of that, along with inside rods. If trolling in a straight line with different depth baits, it's possible. Otherwise, not many things in life more enjoyable than untangling tangled powerpro that's been spinning round and round between 2-3 lines for 15 minutes that you weren't aware of!