Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
6.0 2016 Chevy vs. Anything else - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-08-2019, 08:38 PM
usmarine1 usmarine1 is offline
Slot Fish
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Garretson, SD
Posts: 103
Default 6.0 2016 Chevy vs. Anything else

So I'm looking at trading my 6.0 diesel Ford '04 and my 2014 Chevy 1500 with the 5.3 for one 3/4 ton gasser. I don't use the diesel enough to justify it. I pull an 8ft popup truck camper and a 19' glass boat. Anyone love there 3/4 ton gasser to justify it? I pull this setup maybe a dozen times a year other than that it will mostly just sit. Occasionally a short drive vehicle as I have a company truck as my daily driver. Looking at '16 loaded ltz with 48k for miles for 42k. I have heard they are underpowered, but work great for towing and are long lasting. I am not opposed to the Ford 6.2 but I haven't heard much on reliability. Any input would be great! I can't say I'm much of a dodge fan, but if I found one for a great price who knows. Also does anyone have an 8ft truck camper they put in a 6.5 ft bed? How well does it work for backing up a boat? As far as how hard can you crank it? I have a swing away tongue but I'm not sure if it's long enough to compensate for tight turns without hitting the camper.

Last edited by usmarine1; 08-08-2019 at 08:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 08-09-2019, 11:32 AM
Homegrown1's Avatar
Homegrown1 Homegrown1 is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 20
Default

I've had a 2015 F-250 with the 6.2 gasser since I ordered it in 2014. Just passed 100,000 miles and the only maintenance has been oil and filter changes, air filter changes, and new plugs at 97,500 miles. ZERO problems with this truck. It's my daily driver and pulls my boat most weekends and 1-2 trips a year. Check out this website for reports from thousands of owners.......https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f154/ Flatbed Ed pushed his 6.2 to over 400,000 miles before a cam broke!


As for your slide in and receiver problem, here's a link to an extension bar https://www.draw-tite.com/products/h...RkmmwA%7CEZYPL I had one of these about 48" long for a 2 1/2" class V hitch on my old F-350.
__________________
2018 LUND 1875 PRO-V, Merc 150 4 stroke, Minn Kota Terrova, Humminbird Helix 9, Trailmaster "C" channel trailer, Dexter E-Z Lube axle

Last edited by Homegrown1; 08-09-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-09-2019, 02:18 PM
Shellback's Avatar
Shellback Shellback is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Wagontown, PA, USA.
Posts: 7,559
Default

I have a 2016 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3. and I also have a Four Wheel camper Grandby. The truck bed is 6.5 and the Grandby is an 8 foot camper. My boat is an Alaskan 1600 with a swing tongue and I also have a disc brake surge coupler. No problems with the 8 foot camper and I haul it with the tailgate on it. the Grandby is a 79 model that I stripped to the aluminum skeleton and rebuilt. It came in at 1100 honest on the scale pounds. I only haul my camper about 4 times a year, so I couldn't justify the 2500 truck. Pretty satisfied with the power of the 5.3, and without pulling a lot of hills, I can get 14 MPG with the camper and boat. I'm in a rural area, so not much city driving, but around home I can get 20 MPG which is mostly 50 MPH plus 2 lanes.
__________________
2013 Lund Alaskan 1600 Honda 50HP tiller
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 08-09-2019, 07:35 PM
Snowking Snowking is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Germantown, WI, USA.
Posts: 1,136
Default

I have a 18 Ford F-350 with the 6.2 gas. 4.3 axle. I paid about 43000 new. It is an xl with manual windows and locks. Extended cap with 8 foot box. I did some research on truck campers before I bought. Decided not to get the camper. Unless you want to stay with a pop up truck bed camper for a long time. The hard side campers you would want a 350 if you are going to tow your boat.. The truck campers with slides you need a 350 duelly. That’s if you want to stay legal. Since you have a work truck maybe the fuel mileage would not worry you as much. I end up parking farther away at stores with the superduty. It pretty large to fit into a single parking spot with cars on both sides. I would not get any of the newer diesel with emissions. Since you would not be driveing it as much. You can have issues when your def fluid gets old. Plus fixing diesel emissions is expensive.

Last edited by Snowking; 08-09-2019 at 07:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-07-2019, 04:42 PM
riverduck11 riverduck11 is offline
Slot Fish
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 135
Default

I have been doing a lot of research on 3/4 tons for about 6 months and finally decided on the 6.2 gasser from Ford. It has proven to be a very reliable motor. Pulls as much or more than the others in it's class and the Ford has a higher payload thanks to the Aluminum body. Lots of great options out there, enjoy your search.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-09-2019, 09:11 AM
ChuckD ChuckD is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: West Central, MN.
Posts: 1,445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmarine1 View Post
Also does anyone have an 8ft truck camper they put in a 6.5 ft bed? How well does it work for backing up a boat? As far as how hard can you crank it? I have a swing away tongue but I'm not sure if it's long enough to compensate for tight turns without hitting the camper.

I have a 7.3 F250 crew and I haul a 8' full size pickup camper in the 6.5' bed. I bought an extended hitch receiver to compensate the tailgate being down. They are rated to 5,000 pounds I believe. No issues hauling my camper and boats and turning.



I would recommend the 6.2 Ford and 6.2 Chevy over the 6.0 Chevy motor myself. I know the 6.2 Chevy engine is a beast, and has good fuel mileage.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-10-2019, 04:28 PM
MikeV's Avatar
MikeV MikeV is online now
Keeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Elwood, Il.
Posts: 428
Default

Or do like this guy. Iím working in his neighborhood.

You hear a lot about what will and will not pull on this forum. This has to be the most powerful tow vehicle for our toys Iíve seen so far. Yes thatís a hot tub ahead of the trailer behind the sleeper. Nice retired guy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	338CF0AA-46D5-48E3-8182-339465B8985C.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	312820   Click image for larger version

Name:	65E86DB6-8E53-4F60-B384-31BB60D20E57.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	312822  
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-10-2019, 08:56 PM
brentfrank's Avatar
brentfrank brentfrank is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
I would recommend the 6.2 Ford and 6.2 Chevy over the 6.0 Chevy motor myself. I know the 6.2 Chevy engine is a beast, and has good fuel mileage.
The 6.2 is a beast but there is a very good reason you canít get it in a 3/4 ton. GM knows that it wonít hold up to the work load of many 3/4 tons. I wish it would as I just love that engine in my wifeís Yukon.
__________________
Walleyes and Waterfowl, what else is there?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-10-2019, 10:01 PM
Boondock Boondock is online now
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Pueblo west, co
Posts: 720
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmarine1 View Post
So I'm looking at trading my 6.0 diesel Ford '04 and my 2014 Chevy 1500 with the 5.3 for one 3/4 ton gasser. I don't use the diesel enough to justify it. I pull an 8ft popup truck camper and a 19' glass boat. Anyone love there 3/4 ton gasser to justify it? I pull this setup maybe a dozen times a year other than that it will mostly just sit. Occasionally a short drive vehicle as I have a company truck as my daily driver. Looking at '16 loaded ltz with 48k for miles for 42k. I have heard they are underpowered, but work great for towing and are long lasting. I am not opposed to the Ford 6.2 but I haven't heard much on reliability. Any input would be great! I can't say I'm much of a dodge fan, but if I found one for a great price who knows. Also does anyone have an 8ft truck camper they put in a 6.5 ft bed? How well does it work for backing up a boat? As far as how hard can you crank it? I have a swing away tongue but I'm not sure if it's long enough to compensate for tight turns without hitting the camper.
What did you end up getting?
Seems the 6.0 is a bit weak compared to other motors in the 6+ liter range.
42k seems over priced for a 3 year old 3/4 ton gas motor. 3/4 and smaller gas motors donít sell well in Colorado though.
__________________
13 Lund impact 1775
1.7l 115 merc 4 stroke
2 helix si 10's
BT terrova link
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-26-2019, 07:56 AM
pjcodner pjcodner is offline
Slot Fish
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
What did you end up getting?
Seems the 6.0 is a bit weak compared to other motors in the 6+ liter range.
42k seems over priced for a 3 year old 3/4 ton gas motor. 3/4 and smaller gas motors donít sell well in Colorado though.
Take a look at the Ram trucks. You can get into a new 2500 with a 6.4l Hemi for 42k with incentives and fairly nicely trimmed out. They are making room for the 2020's and giving pretty good deals on 2019's.

I own a 2015 2500 with the 6.4l Hemi. It is a pretty stout motor and I have been able to haul everything I need to so far. It is overkill for my Ranger 1880 Angler but I bought the truck in case I wanted to get a 5th wheel.
__________________
2015 Ranger 1880 Angler
2015 Mercury 150 4 Stroke
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.