Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Trailer Replacement - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 04-14-2022, 12:56 PM
Minnow

Default Trailer Replacement

Hi guys. I have a 2000 Javelin 21 MSX. The boat is still in really good shape but the trailer is in rough shape. I am looking to replace the trailer and can use some advice. How should I go about this purchase? Should I be calling boat sales or trailer companies directly? A used trailer in good shape would be great but not sure how feasible that is. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2022, 01:57 PM
Wallhanger

If you are going to spend the money, it is well worth it to order one custom made to your boat. I got a custom made Heritage for my boat 2 summers ago. Excellent trailer. Trailmasters are excellent also.

Even though I'm in MN where boat ownership is common, I had a heck of a time finding a dealer that sells custom boat trailers. I probably called 20 dealers before I found one in Wisconsin that would order one for me. Long story short, figure out what brand you want and then call the manufacturer directly and ask where the nearest dealer is to you.
Old 04-14-2022, 02:07 PM
Minnow

Thanks Brad for the quick reply. How much did you end up paying for the custom trailer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2022, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

I will 2nd the Heritage trailer. You will have to find a Heritage dealer, as Heritage doesn't sell their trailers direct to the public. Quality product with many available options.
Old 04-18-2022, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Does your rig and trailer look something like the one in the following picture:

https://www.crappie.com/crappie/atta...img_0356b-jpg?

If so, you are looking at a tidy sum to replace the trailer.

---------------------
You indicate that the trailer is in rough shape.

What would have to be redone on your current trailer to give it a like new appearance?

You may find that it is much more economical to rebuild your current trailer, rather than purchasing a new trailer.

Of course, if you want it done now: then by all means, find the trailer for your dreams and buy it.

-------------------------------
Here is the contact information for "Heritage Trailers"

https://heritagetrailers.com/contact-us/

Note:
If you purchase a galvanized trailer, you don't have to worry about rock chips or rusting to any large degree.
Old 04-18-2022, 12:39 PM
Minnow

Thanks Rew,,
Yes that is my exact boat. After talking with a few trailer manufacturers and boat dealers, I am going to see if I can fix my current trailer. A new custom trailer was more than $8500. That is a lot of money to spend on a 20+ year old boat. I actually reached out to an old friend for some recommendations and he offered to take a look at it (fleet mechanic). He said he would work on it for time and material. So for now that is the direction I am heading. Another issue was lead time. The boat dealerships were saying they were expecting 10 to 14 month delivery. Can’t sit on it for that long. Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-19-2022, 08:29 AM
Keeper

If you have a large marina near you; sometimes they have abandoned boat trailers there. My friend did that and they showed him 6 boat trailers that were abandoned. Told him to help himself. He took two, one for his boat and one to convert over to a utility trailer.

I'm not sure how he registered them though but he was able to somehow.
Yamaha 9.9 HP
Lowrance Elite FS
Old 05-05-2022, 06:11 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minoguem View Post
A new custom trailer was more than $8500.
I don't think so. I was given quotes from LoadMaster & it was aroudn $4300 to replace mine. Covid hit in 2020 & I shelved a new trailer.

https://www.loadmasterboattrailer.com/ They're in Ohio, have good reviews but Ohio from NJ is a haul for me.

Ask for Gary Straw if you call them.

Happy fishing!!

2019 Lund 2075 Pro-V
9.9 Pro main motor, 300 Pro XS kicker
101 lb Ultrex, iPilot, Mega 360 & 2 cascaded OneBoat Networks
Triple Helix MSI (2x10", 1x9") all w/ MSI
2 10' Talons
2 Scotty 1116 DepthPower downriggers
TraxsTech tracks all over the place
Old 05-06-2022, 07:05 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minoguem View Post
Thanks Rew,,
Yes that is my exact boat. After talking with a few trailer manufacturers and boat dealers, I am going to see if I can fix my current trailer. A new custom trailer was more than $8500. That is a lot of money to spend on a 20+ year old boat. I actually reached out to an old friend for some recommendations and he offered to take a look at it (fleet mechanic). He said he would work on it for time and material. So for now that is the direction I am heading. Another issue was lead time. The boat dealerships were saying they were expecting 10 to 14 month delivery. Can’t sit on it for that long. Thanks for the reply.
Wow. I paid $2600 after tax for my Heritage, and that's with some of their upgrades. I have a smaller boat and only needed a single axle, but over 3 times the cost for yours is crazy.