Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Fox Sports, Cord Cutting, and Gambling..... - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2021, 12:23 PM
Wallhanger

Exclamation Fox Sports, Cord Cutting, and Gambling.....

For the cord cutters out there, what are you going to do now that all the streaming services have dropped the Fox Sports Regional networks?

I'm pretty bummed because I'm in a dual market for MLB, but I've lost FSN and I'm not going back to cable or sat. To top it off I can't get my favorite team on radio either. I know AT&T TV has FSN, but that service is a 2 year contract and is as expensive as cable.

I don't know if anyone's been following this story, but FSN has partnered with a gambling company (Bally's) and will be renaming the networks as "Bally's Sports Network xxxxx." The general idea is that Bally's will be supporting an on-line gambling platform and you will be encouraged to place real-time bets during the game. Here's an article on this: https://www.startribune.com/from-pla...hip/573452881/

I'm not a gambler so I'm not to thrilled that betting is going to become a major part of the broadcast. I'm slowly comming to the realization I'm not going to be following my team, and it's a little wierd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2021, 12:41 PM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

I recently moved up to the border with Canada. Up here I have Midco cable service so I still get FSN. I however can't get the Star Tribune so I'm missing all the articles there. I can get the Twins and Wild on the radio so thats all good. I really don't know what I would do if Midco dropped FSN.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:15 PM
Slot Fish

Default ...

You can't get the newspaper online and subscribe?

Hop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2021, 01:42 PM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

No.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopkinz View Post
You can't get the newspaper online and subscribe?

Hop
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
No.
You mean Midco blocks you from accessing the StarTribune website?

HRG
Old 01-21-2021, 02:00 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
No.
Do you have internet or smart phone service? The site and the app are available. All you need to do is pay for the subscription. I know I-Falls is at the end of road, but I get full internet and phone service at Kettle Falls and at the end of Seine Bay way out on Rainy.
Old 01-21-2021, 02:25 PM
Wallhanger

I can't use a smart phone or computer to light a fire.
I want my newspaper. But thanks for your concerns.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:22 PM
Wallhanger

My Dad subscribed to MLB.tv to get the baseball games since we live out of market. I don’t know what it cost but he could watch on his phone, stream online, or cast it to a smart tv. If the game was subject to blackout you could access it as an archived game about and hour or so after the game ended. He seemed pretty satisfied with it. Makes a good Father’s Day or Christmas present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2021, 05:56 PM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=That Minnesota guy;6519194]I can't use a smart phone or computer to light a fire.
I want my newspaper. But thanks for your concerns. [/QUOTE

You need to visit the grocery store more often and pick up the free books and papers by the front
]
Old 01-21-2021, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Fin,
You only go around life once. If you want to listen to or watch games and if you have cable in your area, bite the bullet, hook up the cable and enjoy your teams. The enjoyment of watching the teams will counter act the times that you write the checks for the service.

But, if you do on line payments, you will not even have to feel that pain. It will all happen automatically.

Be safe