Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Trolling motor stabilizer - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2020, 07:30 AM
Wallhanger

I have a Ram mount as well, and I believe the mount is available in two different lengths.

I went to the mount vs just letting the shaft flex once I saw/heard the head crash into the gunnel when the shaft flexed....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2020, 07:34 AM
Keeper

Default Ram it

Minn kota maxxum, 12 yrs old mounted with a ram mount, no issues ever
Old 09-21-2020, 07:44 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskyman73 View Post
Minn kota maxxum, 12 yrs old mounted with a ram mount, no issues ever
Why would you need a stabilizer with a maxxum? Its got a beefy mechanism already. It shouldn't need an additional stabilizer
Minn Kota Terrova 112 Ipilot Link
Old 09-21-2020, 07:49 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernbite View Post
I use the claw with my ulterra because of the launching belt.

Paul
Not sure what you mean when you say because of the launching belt? Please explain Thanks 😊
Old 09-21-2020, 03:23 PM
Keeper

I use a Ram with the claw. Works great.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:45 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump55 View Post
I know a lot of guys use the RAM mounts and don't appear to have issues.

I just always kind of thought that while they certainly save the shaft from flexing, they lock the head to the boat tightly so whatever bumps you hit (waves or on the road) are now transferred full force to the head where all the sensitive electronics are.

Without the clamp, the shaft takes up most of the shock and the head may move, but it's not feeling hard impacts. I've never had a bowmount issue without a clamp either. Now if you have a longer shaft or different mounting angle where the head can actually impact the the gunnel on a big bump, then that's a different story...you obviously don't want that.

This is exactly my thought. You've got a nice composite shaft (designed by the OEM who needs to warrant their products) that dampens vibrations and reduces the g loads. If you clamp that motor head directly to the boat rail you are now passing almost 100% of every shock directly to it with no dampening whatsoever. Taking the suspension out of a vehicle increases vibration and shock, not the other way around.

Maybe it doesn't matter and the electronics are robust enough for the abuse, but I don't see how adding a stabilizer can do anything but increase the risk of damage.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:55 AM
Keeper

FWIW - this happened to a friend of mine and I was in the boat when it occurred..... after years of no support to his minnkota powerdrive while running and trailering, the bushing that the shaft goes through on the base developed some serious slop. As we motored across a large lake (Winnie), the trolling motor vibrated forward and deployed at 40 mph. That sucked. We have used ram mounts to stabilize them ever since. Havent had any issues with any of our trollers since.