Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
What’s That Boat Worth? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 01-24-2014, 11:20 AM
Minnow

Default What’s That Boat Worth?

You guys have probably had this topic on here before, but a buddy of mine and I were discussing whether he was going to buy a new boat this year. He said no way, and made the comment that they are really expensive now and when were the boat manufacturers (and everyone else for that matter) going to charge what their boat is “worth”. He went on to explain what that meant to him – what it cost to build, plus some reasonable profit; say 20%.

I explained that isn’t how it works. But before I go there, wanted to see what others think. It has always amazed me how much more expensive fishing boats are than a ski/leisure boat. People have argued that fishing boats have live wells…So what? Apparently it costs $10, $20, or $30k to put in a livewell? Obvious to me what the reason is…fishermen are not very smart! (Just kidding.)

Answer: tons more demand for fishing boats than leisure boats…

How many boats do the manufacturers want to build, versus demand (# of people with the priority and $ to pay the price) == selling price.

Truth is though, that if people did not pay the “demand” price, but were only willing to pay the “reasonable profit” price, boats would be more “reasonably” priced! So, thanks to all of you rich guys, I will never own a new boat…! (just kidding! - priorities...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2014, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

It has nothing to do with profits. It has everything to do with who is buying and what they want. The same hammer you buy at Menards for $9.00 costs the government $98.00.

When you have willing buyers, you will also have willing sellers.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:23 PM
Keeper

A ski boat, Mastercraft, Malibu, etc can top 100k easy. I don't see many inshore fishing boats being able to compete at that price range.
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2014, 04:53 PM
Keeper

Everything is expensive but you only get one chance at how you live your life. Make the most of it and have fun...You can't take that money with you!
Old 01-24-2014, 04:55 PM
Wallhanger

This is my post asking the same question about a year ago. Still looking for the answer.

I stumbled upon this ad that showed the $24985 price of the following 19 foot fish and ski with an 135HP I/O and includes trailer. http://www.chaparralboats.com/2013/c...d=60&page=home

Granted, that boat is underpowered with that engine, but stepping up to the 4.3L adds on about another $1k. Still cheap.

Now I compare this to the quote I got for a Lund 1875 Crossover.
boat: 21469
150 4 stroke: 11475
trailer: 3165.00
Total: 36K

What gives? It used to be that outboards were considered cheaper than I/O. Is that old news now with the advancements in outboards? Are the motors the main reason why today's boats are so darn expensive?

When you look at the above boat and compare it to a fishing boat, there are not that many things the fishing boat has that would increase the cost that the above fish-ski does not. The fishing boat may have an extra livewell, but other than that, they both have storage, both have seats.

I am just at a complete loss as to why today's fishing boats are so expensive when you compare them to pleasure boats. And this isn't just because of the Lund premium -- you can't find an 18 foot windshield fishing boat for under 30K of any brand, especially not fiberglass!
Old 01-24-2014, 05:38 PM
Keeper

Government regulations...Product liability...American labor costs...EPA regulations....Insurance...Workmen's comp....Utilities....100+ business licenses....Research and development...Cost of materials...National advertising campaigns...Plant improvements....Just food for thought!
Old 01-24-2014, 05:49 PM
Wallhanger

At a boat show a number of years ago, I saw a Lund 20' Pro V priced higher than a 24' StarCraft cabin cruiser, which even had a shower in it.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenswake View Post
you can't find an 18 foot windshield fishing boat for under 30K of any brand, especially not fiberglass!
here you go http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...0-DC-101848809

sorry that it's a 2013, but dealers can't publish 2014 pricing,,, but heck, at least it has a trolling motor.

HRG
Old 01-24-2014, 06:02 PM
Keeper

That's a good price...the low cost boats are usually the old "bait and switch" routine...been going on since the beginning of time because it works!
Old 01-24-2014, 07:57 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
here you go http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...0-DC-101848809

sorry that it's a 2013, but dealers can't publish 2014 pricing,,, but heck, at least it has a trolling motor.

HRG
Hmmmm... That does seem like a price that's too good to be true, even on a carryover that they are trying to get rid of. Is underpowered with the 115 though. Still, good find. I give you credit for this one.