Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
HST rebate news ???? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 08-07-2017, 05:17 PM
triggers

Default Rebate

I sent mine in June 12 and got the check on August 4. Of course your bank charges you to deposit international check and then discounts it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2017, 01:29 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
It was great while it lasted! I'm not surprised it is being done away with. Is there anything even remotely similar to this in the US?

Probably not, but.....I'm not aware of any state that has a 13% sales tax.

For example, Florida (a snow-bird destination for many americans and canadians) the state sales tax is 6% plus most counites tack on 1% for a total of 7%. Arizona, another snow-bird state, is around the same percentage with the local add-ons.

That said, the price is the price and the tax is the tax, you gotta pay to play. Whether you go to ontario or florida.

Ending the program might not have an effect now on bookings, but there is presently a favourable exchange rate for US visitors. If the exchange rate goes back to "even money", or the US has another recession like 2008-2010, well thats another story.

One person paying for himself the tax is a small issue. Book a trip for a family of 4 at $4-6 K and the tax is a little painful.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:38 PM
Wallhanger

The Chief Financial Officer for our group has been applying for and getting the refund for our group for years, no problems.

Last edited by NARDA 1; 08-24-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2017, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
It was great while it lasted! I'm not surprised it is being done away with. Is there anything even remotely similar to this in the US?
Refunds, no way, but plenty of cities sure know how to tax you. They love to throw on a few percent hotel tax, plus sporting events, concerts etc.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:37 AM
JustGo

Default Eeeesh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsz View Post
Probably not, but.....I'm not aware of any state that has a 13% sales tax.

For example, Florida (a snow-bird destination for many americans and canadians) the state sales tax is 6% plus most counites tack on 1% for a total of 7%. Arizona, another snow-bird state, is around the same percentage with the local add-ons.

That said, the price is the price and the tax is the tax, you gotta pay to play. Whether you go to ontario or florida.

Ending the program might not have an effect now on bookings, but there is presently a favourable exchange rate for US visitors. If the exchange rate goes back to "even money", or the US has another recession like 2008-2010, well thats another story.

One person paying for himself the tax is a small issue. Book a trip for a family of 4 at $4-6 K and the tax is a little painful.
Actually, the province charges an 8% PST Provincial Sales Tax. Then there is a 5% Federal Sales Tax GST which goes to Ottawa.

Ontario overall has an HST Harmonized Sales tax to combine the 2 taxes. 5+8=13% So it's on really an 13% provincial sales tax

All that aside, as a Canadian lodge operator, I thick it sucks that the Feds are taking away the rebate. I guess us Canadian need to find a way to pay for Prime minister Truedeu 2 Nannys somehow, and pay for all then refugees pouring into the country. Meanwhile our Medical system is in a shambles. Look! No you got me started. Ok Ok! Chill time with the sweet nectar of a splash of crown Royal!
Old 08-25-2017, 01:39 AM
JustGo

oops! To much Crown Royal!

It's not a 13% Sales tax. only 8% goes to the province / state few yous 'Merican.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:28 AM
Minnow

Default Rebate Form and Rebate Type

I applied for my rebate from a fly-in fishing trip in June, I got a response saying I had used the wrong rebate type. Could someone please tell me the correct rebate type and correct form to use for a fly-in fishing trip rebate? Thanks!
Old 09-10-2017, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Here's the form. http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/gf/gst115/gst115-15e.pdf You will need the original receipt to send along with it. You can claim 1/2 of the HST charged on whatever package plan you had. You tick the box for "Businesses, organizations or individuals"........not "Tour Operators".
Old 09-11-2017, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

Red face Hst ck $$$$$$$$$$

Received mine about 10 days ago. Will have to wait till next years trip to get full amount.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:54 AM
Wallhanger

Default Ending?

Filled out my paperwork yesterday and I'm off to the Post Office this morning. Is it a done deal that this program is going to end?