Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Helix 9 and NMEA 2000 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 02-05-2016, 09:21 PM
Minnow

Default Helix 9 and NMEA 2000

I am planning on buying a Helix 9 si/gps for my boat real soon. I understand that I can also monitor my engine performance via the NMEA feature, but am absolutely clueless about what I may need to buy to make it work. The motor is a 2014 Evinrude 60hp Etec.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2016, 09:50 PM
Slot Fish

I can't help you with the NMEA, but thought I would share a bit of info on the 9SI. The Helix 9 SI comes standard with the compact SI transducer. The Helix 10 SI comes with the HD SI transducer, which gives a bit better detail. You can upgrade the transducer after you purchase you 9 SI using Humminbird's transducer exchange program. The upgrade cost around $85. It might not be a big deal to most, but I thought I should share the info. I'm doing the exchange so I have the HD transducer on my bow motor and transom.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:59 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyliek View Post
I am planning on buying a Helix 9 si/gps for my boat real soon. I understand that I can also monitor my engine performance via the NMEA feature, but am absolutely clueless about what I may need to buy to make it work. The motor is a 2014 Evinrude 60hp Etec.
The link below opens a PDF file that gives a visual of how the NMEA network should be setup. Only the 5 port switch and the NMEA Black box are actually Humminbird parts. You can purchase the Lowrance NMEA 2000 network starter kit to establish the NMEA 2000 network. The starter kit runs around $70. (Lowrance part # 124-69)

The Humminbird black box is part number 408390-1.

Your Lowrance / Evinrude engine interface cable that connects from your outboard (provided you have the ECM) to the NMEA 2000 backbone is part number 120-62.

The Humminbird 5 port switch pictured in the diagram is part # 408450-1.

http://www.humminbird.com/WorkArea/D...t.aspx?id=3082

Hope this helps...... Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2016, 06:36 AM
Minnow

So, your saying another couple of hundred bucks?
Old 02-06-2016, 06:45 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
So, your saying another couple of hundred bucks?
-NMEA Starter Kit
-Low/Evinrude engine interface cable
-Humminbird Black Box

About $350.00 give or take without the 5 port switch.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:56 AM
Wallhanger

To learn about connecting a modern outboard engine like the Evinrude E-TEC to NMEA-2000, read my article on that topic at

NMEA-2000 Networks and Modern Outboard Engines
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/ref.../NMEA2000.html
Old 02-07-2016, 08:18 AM
Minnow

Brian, and James

First, thank you for your insight it is appreciated.

Second, based on what I see this a costly option, and not a simple "plug and play" item as one would expect in todays day and age.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:03 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
...based on what I see this a costly option, and not a simple "plug and play" item as one would expect in today[']s day and age.
The cost of implementing a NMEA-2000 network backbone with facilities for two devices is well under $200 (including the engine interface cable), which does not seem like it would qualify for the description of "costly" these days, at least not in the context of what I read in this forum with fellows having two, three, or four multi-function displays with SONAR, chart plotters, and other functions on one boat that each cost thousands of dollars. Perhaps the most "costly" component is the specialized drop cable usually needed to make connection to the engine NMEA-2000 interface. The most modern engines, such as the Evinrude E-TEC G2, now use the standard NMEA-2000 DeviceNET Micro connector, so the need for a specialized drop cable is eliminated, and a standard (and usually less expensive) network extension cable can be used.

Once properly wired, a NMEA-2000 network is completely self-configuring, or "plug-and-play" if you prefer. Almost all of the problems encountered with NMEA-2000 networking seem to be from boaters who have a preternatural instinct to ignore all advice and seem to be able to invent an endless series of very innovative ways to wire things incorrectly. But, if you follow the directions, NMEA-2000 is extremely simple, not very expensive, and requires no user-configuration.

Last edited by jhebert; 02-08-2016 at 05:11 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:09 PM
Keeper

OK trying to do this for a Mercury 50 hp that I now have a Smart Tach & a Humminbird 898c HD w ipilot link & external GPS. Don't want to hijack the thread but seems to have run its course so can anyone guide me on how to get all this tied together keeping my current stuff & adding a Helix 10 to the mix. Info in this thread got me started & ive got a NMEA starter kit & a Humminbird AS ETH NMEA2K. Some literature says I need a Humminbird Gateway or a Merc Monitor with NMEA capability to complete the network. I'm basically Mechanical in nature so any direction will be helpful. Would like to keep the Smart Tach too bad it does have NMEA output ( so I read)
Thanks,
Wallybagger