Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Things you just have to learn the hard way, once - Page 5 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 06-19-2021, 12:01 PM
Wallhanger

Default Power Bubbles Craps Out

My 12V livewell aerator suddenly stops working. The Youtube Video for a Power Bubbles Not Working shows that most often it is a clogging problem in the motor that requires tearing apart the motor to replace a cellophane-like piece. Looks like too much risky work so I order and receive a new Power Bubbles for $30 and the kit comes with a new check valve for the air outlet line to the the livewell. For the heck of it I put the new check valve on my old unit and now my old unit works like new. Lesson Learned: If your aerator stops working and it's not debris in the outlet stone; then FIRST just try replacing the check valve for a total cost of $2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2021, 02:44 PM
Keeper

I've gone through the kill switch tether issue, forgotten drain plug brain fart, and back tie down strap fiasco. My worst was an older boat and trailer that needed to have a tire replaced at camp in Canada. Got the trailer raised, tire taken off, and the new tire with nuts on but not tightened. Someone asked for assistance putting a cover on their boat, and guess who forgot to come back to his rig and tighten the lug nuts. Halfway down 502 to International Falls, the rig is making a lot of thumping noise and I know exactly what I didn't do. Pulled over and the holes in the rim were elongated to a nice oval and the studs were stripped where they rubbed on the rim. I had to put the old tire on and thread the nuts on backwards to be able to tighten enough to limp home. Had to replace the studs and wheel but made it home. Another time I saw a mishap on a landing in Pepin. A brand new boat owner without his permanent boat numbers on yet was backing his trailer on the ramp. Fortunately he had a roller trailer for ease of launching; unfortunately he removed all of his straps and safety cable and as he hit the slope of the ramp, the boat started coming off the trailer. The back end hit with a mighty bang, the skeg of the motor was bent, and the lower rear of the transom did not look very good after scraping down the ramp. I am sure his day was not what he anticipated and try to explain that one to your insurance guy.
Old 06-19-2021, 06:40 PM
Wallhanger

happily pulling away with the safety brake cable attached to the truck ..POP!
Old 06-20-2021, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
Don't forget to raise the kicker motor before taking off. I suppose it could go to the rear trolling motors too..
As a reminder, the kicker shows on my boat rear view mirror and has a large red dot painted on the mirror, to remind me to lift kicker.

Bill
Old 06-20-2021, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

Even though inserting drain plug from inside can be a pita, in the event of the bilge pump failing, the plug can be removed while I am in the boat and the water drained while moving forward, flashback for need several years ago, took about 5 minutes to drain.

If motor won't start, make sure the kill switch tab isn't pulled out, I helped a fellow out on the lake a few years ago when he mistakenly thought he ran out of gas.

Bill
Old 06-20-2021, 01:06 PM
Wallhanger

#1 drain plug installed before you do anything else

#2 unclip winch strap to bow just before going into water

#3 before driving away from ramp, make sure all straps are tight, and drain plug for livewell and bilge are removed

#4 make sure trailer light plug is installed and do a "light check"

#5 once a month top up air pressure in trailer tires and spare, and check water levels in all batteries
Old 06-20-2021, 07:01 PM
Wallhanger

Small guys are good fighters
Old 06-21-2021, 11:35 AM
Wallhanger

Drain plug! I actually launched twice without it. On my old Lowe, the main drain was the same size hole as the livewell drain. Putting it in the wrong hole on accident is always a no no. My Alumacraft has a smaller hole on the livewell drain, so that solves that. The 2nd time I just plain forgot it. Now, I twist tie the drain plug to the steering wheel or to the ignition key. Apparently, leaving the plug on the dash below the Helix wasn't obvious enough for me.
Old 06-22-2021, 08:30 AM
Wallhanger

Default Laying 4 stroke kicker motor on its back- Hydrolock

I took the Yamaha F4 T8 off my old boat before I sold it. I was by myself so it was kinda hard to maneuver when I lifted it off the transom and I must have laid it down on the back of the motor. I did later store it vertically on a horse but it must have been laying horizontally prop facing down for a while. What happens when it is in this position- crankcase oil seeps past rings into cylinder causing a hydraulic lock. The starter would engage, you could hear it go clunk, but it wouldn't turn over.

I knew it had power as I could hear the pinion engage. It wasn't the "in gear interlock" as I wouldn't have the bendix engaging pinion if that was the issue. I saw some oil down at the bottom of the motor. I pulled the plugs and observed oil on the spark plugs. I cleaned the oil off the plugs. The motor would turn over now with the plugs out so I turned it over for a while to push out as much of the excess oil as possible. Later, I put the plugs back in and started the motor with the muffs on. It took a while to start but once it started it ran smoky for a while but then ran normally.

So the moral of story is- if you have to lay your 4 stroke down horizontally, put it tiller side down. When possible, store it vertically.
Old 06-22-2021, 04:41 PM
Slot Fish

My first boat with power trim...always remember to raise it up after your loaded on the trailer and before you pull it up the ramp...if not you grind a good bit of your skeg off.
Also if you a new to you used boat go ahead and repack the bearings in the trailer, its no fun sanding on a spindle by hand on the side of the road for 3 hours.