Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2015 Ranger 620 + Evinrude 250G2 prop - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 12-09-2020, 11:28 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalman View Post
I also have a 36V ulterra up front. Our setups are basically the same.

My 250HO is quite a bit higher than yours is mounted. As I said, I do have a 6" manual slidemaster jack plate that also gives me more set back and that makes the engine need to be set higher than it would be if bolted directly to the transom. But I'd say your motor is likely mounted too low. Next time you get in the water, have someone take a picture or video of where the anti-cavitation plates are. The lower one should be just visible when fully trimmed up at top speed. I'm guessing yours is buried in the water at speed?

Here's a picture showing my motor height at the transom.

That’s a lot higher than mine for sure. It performs amazing and handles really well just missing the top end. Being lower in the water wouldn’t affect the rpm I don’t think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2020, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, I honestly shouldn't be 700 rpm higher or 5mph faster than you.
I have a 15HO kicker and a vantage hanging off the back of mine as well.
I'm pretty sure the 620FS hull was the same from 2015 right up to late 2019. So there should be no difference there...
I'm in northern Alberta at a higher elevation (2132 feet) most of eastern Ontario is 250 feet (or so). I should have less power than you.
Anyone have a theory to explain the big difference in these boats RPM and speed? I must be missing something obvious!
Any chance that your motor is mounted really low? I do have a 6" (manual) slide master jack plate that gives me more set back, but I wouldn't think it would make quite that much difference.
Zalman, As stated my 2015/250HOG2 came factory equipped with the RX4-22, here in Minnesota and I only got 5400 RPM, and longer hole shot than the RX4 20" that I ended up with. Even though I am mounted high I have to believe your jack plate may be the difference as I have seen other discussions expressing satisfaction with the 22" prop with RPM's 500 - 600 more than what I see. Not that I am not happy with the 20 prop however I fish Lac Seul alot and seldom cruise higher than 3600RPM/34 mph/3.7mpg. I tried the 22 and it cruises nice, and my mpg goes up some, but with 3 guys it can be sluggish out of the hole. I am going to try opening the vents up and see if that changes. I know Ranger recommends the 22 for the 620 however maybe i am stuck on this notion that you should be running your motor RPM on the high side or at least at peak HP. The real only difference is your jack plate, maybe that will be next.
Old 12-10-2020, 05:31 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouki7 View Post
25p Bravo XS. 4 holes plugged, 4 holes open. Atlas jack plate (6”) setback.

Kouki7 That's a 621FS with a 350?
I’m on my 3rd fisherman 🙂. I had a 2015 620FS hero edition. That picture was from my G2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	76F45725-9DA4-42E4-9C7D-80E46C268485_1607646633199.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	322890  
Old 12-14-2020, 01:53 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouki7 View Post
I’m on my 3rd fisherman 🙂. I had a 2015 620FS hero edition. That picture was from my G2.

Nice work! 62.6mph is definitely one of the higher speeds I've seen on a 250HO equipped 620FS with a kicker.

I could hit that... going downstream on a river LOL!

I'm stuck right around 61mph but trying a 24P Bravo this summer as soon as things thaw! Gotta try to keep ahead of these 300hp 620's... and somewhat close to the 400hp 621's! and somewhere far, far behind the 450R
Old 04-30-2021, 06:13 AM
Keeper

Hi all. Looking to see if anyone has my exact setup that could help point me to the right prop. I’m not in a position to be able to buy a bunch and try.

The prop currently is a 3 blade stainless 15x21

Can’t get more than 5400 rpm, max around 51-52mph

No jack plate.

I don’t want to sacrifice performance for speed, handling and hole shot is important too. Seems like I should be able to see 58-60?

Thoughts?

Old 04-30-2021, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

I have reread this thread and I am sorry to see you still have an issue. Stainless props are expensive for sure. It really costs you nothing but your time to get a hoist and mount your motor higher. They claim that a good SS prop should have the tips coming out of the water when running full trim and throttle. It made me think of my setup, probably the reason my engine did not like the 21 pitch tempest is because my motor was factory set so high to begin with. Each 1 inch change in pitch should result in a 200 RPM change.
Old 04-30-2021, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

I have reread this thread and I am sorry to see you still have an issue. Stainless props are expensive for sure. It really costs you nothing but your time to get a hoist and mount your motor higher. They claim that a good SS prop should have the tips coming out of the water when running full trim and throttle. It made me think of my setup, probably the reason my engine did not like the 21 pitch tempest is because my motor was factory set so high to begin with. Each 1 inch change in pitch should result in a 200 RPM change. Also 1" in diameter will change the RPM about 100.
Old 04-30-2021, 12:01 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Anderson View Post
I have reread this thread and I am sorry to see you still have an issue. Stainless props are expensive for sure. It really costs you nothing but your time to get a hoist and mount your motor higher. They claim that a good SS prop should have the tips coming out of the water when running full trim and throttle. It made me think of my setup, probably the reason my engine did not like the 21 pitch tempest is because my motor was factory set so high to begin with. Each 1 inch change in pitch should result in a 200 RPM change.

Based on 1” change if I went to a 19p do you think that would resolve it.

I find it odd with how many 620’s came with g2 250ho’s that there isn’t an automatic answer to this. I realize there is jack plates that play into it and motor height but wouldn’t they be all set the same height from the factory? So without a jack plate all would be the same to start ?

My mechanic is 2 hrs away so I’d prefer to explore the prop option before motor height, if possible