Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New regulations for camp boat rental users? - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 12-14-2020, 08:51 PM
Keeper

Yes it's a money grab, yes it probably won't save any lives on a remote Canada lake w/14ft boats. BUT my question is - when will/do they vote on this (type) of legislation?

*Looks like I can get one here online for AZ for $35 but it doesn't say if it ever expires?*

Is my Arizona Boater Education Certificate accepted elsewhere?
For visiting boaters, all states, territories, and provinces will recognize boating education cards that meet NASBLA requirements and Canadian Pleasure Craft Operator Cards that meet Transport Canada’s requirements. (This is known as “reciprocity.”)
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2020, 09:18 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by elway12 View Post
Yes it's a money grab, yes it probably won't save any lives on a remote Canada lake w/14ft boats. BUT my question is - when will/do they vote on this (type) of legislation?

*Looks like I can get one here online for AZ for $35 but it doesn't say if it ever expires?*

Is my Arizona Boater Education Certificate accepted elsewhere?
For visiting boaters, all states, territories, and provinces will recognize boating education cards that meet NASBLA requirements and Canadian Pleasure Craft Operator Cards that meet Transport Canada’s requirements. (This is known as “reciprocity.”)
Comment period ends January 15th. It could pass in an early session of parliament which would mean its in place for next season. There is a lot of opposition to the proposal however. I am optimistic that it won’t pass but still need to plan accordingly.

-FT
Old 12-14-2020, 10:51 PM
Wallhanger

It looks like the thread has gotten off a bit? looks like the rules only apply to renters? not people who bring their own boat? So does the fact you rent make you more dangerous? If we bring our own boats there is no need for checklist and studies confirm this?

sounds like a PITA or everyone except the Canadian govt. more regulation yeah! I didnt know there was a problem from when I've been there
Old 12-15-2020, 08:28 AM
safety first

i think this is a great idea. but it should be expanded as long as they are doing it. at all busy boat launches have the boat operator check for a boaters license before he is allowed to launch. also have everyone aboard the boat wear a life jacket at all times. plus require everyone in the boat to pass a swimming test. outlaw all alcohol in the country.
Old 12-15-2020, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by safety first View Post
i think this is a great idea. but it should be expanded as long as they are doing it.
This part of your response bears repeating, Thanks.

Last edited by Huntindave; 12-15-2020 at 09:04 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-15-2020, 09:08 AM
Keeper

Some of you guys walk around in bubble wrap
Old 12-15-2020, 09:13 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambi View Post
Some of you guys walk around in bubble wrap
Ha! wrapped in tissue paper in pelican cases...Im still clinging to the hope that some of these comments are tongue in cheek...
Old 12-15-2020, 10:30 AM
Wallhanger

I dislike regulations that are poorly designed, cause more hassle than benefit, and don't actually solve problems.

I recently took the Pennsylvania boater safety course and got my little blue card. The test is a joke. It's all on the computer. It's easy, the answers are right in front of you, there is no personal instruction or on-water training. The test does not provide any lasting instruction, knowledge, or training. The test does absolutely nothing to reduce boating accidents. The test does nothing to increase on-water safety.

If someone in the Canadian government thinks that little blue card indicates the holder is a knowledgeable, trained, and safe boater ..... they're an idiot.

Classic example of regulation for the sake of regulating.
Old 12-15-2020, 10:34 AM
Keeper

Back in 1988 I took a couple of courses put on by the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary; it was part of their Boating Skills and Seamanship Courses. I completed the Piloting and Marine Engine Courses. I wonder if this would satisfy the requirements for Canada if they pass this legislation.

Doubt the Marine Engine course would mean much since I can hardly figure out how to take the cowling off my Verado, but I would think the Piloting course would count for something. I’ve held on to the certificate stating I passed the courses because it gets me a discount on my boat insurance.
Old 12-15-2020, 10:46 AM
Wallhanger

One more thought. If you are going to compare boater safety cards to driver's licenses, then you need to look at the requirements of getting a driver's license. You have to pass a multi-week on-road instructional class, log hundreds of in-car hours with a seasoned driver, pass a written test, and then pass an on-road test with a government employee.

You see, THAT'S an example of regulation designed to instill knowledge in the driver and reduce accidents.

If you TRULY want safer waterways, you'd push for that level of certification. Truth is though, the Canadian waterways are already pretty darn safe. Additional regulation is not supported by any data.