Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Humminbird or Lowrance for remote Canada lakes? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 12-16-2020, 09:35 PM
Keeper

Default Humminbird or Lowrance for remote Canada lakes?

Looking to upgrade my Fish Finder/GPS unit for my Canada trips. I have them narrowed down to the Humminbird Helix 5 DI G2 or the Lowrance Hook Reveal 5 Split Shot. I know many people are loyal to their "brands" but what are your thoughts & knowledge about either of these models? How do they perform on Canadian shield lakes, GPS functionality, screen quality, usability, maintenance, etc. Looking for opinions from people who have actually use(d) or own similar models. To me it seems like the Humminbird might have a sharper/higher resolution screen and maybe the Lowrance has better fish identifying ability?? Thanks in advance for helpful advice.
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2020, 03:50 AM
Slot Fish

I use a Garmin striker 4. It works awesome. No problem with gps. Cheap little unit. I wish the screen was a tad bigger. Otherwise I would go with the lowrance.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elway12 View Post
Looking to upgrade my Fish Finder/GPS unit for my Canada trips. I have them narrowed down to the Humminbird Helix 5 DI G2 or the Lowrance Hook Reveal 5 Split Shot. I know many people are loyal to their "brands" but what are your thoughts & knowledge about either of these models? How do they perform on Canadian shield lakes, GPS functionality, screen quality, usability, maintenance, etc. Looking for opinions from people who have actually use(d) or own similar models. To me it seems like the Humminbird might have a sharper/higher resolution screen and maybe the Lowrance has better fish identifying ability?? Thanks in advance for helpful advice.
Elway, I have been also thinking of getting an upgraded fishfinder for fly-in trips I now use a hummingbird Pirahna which is fine, but would like a better unit with GPS

The main problem with getting a Helix Unit is that I fly into Canada and the Battery the Unit uses Cannot be taken on a plane. I have determined that I will stick with my current fishfinder and use a portable GPS

As you live in Arizona will you have the same problem, flying to Canada that I have if you get a Helix unit??

Larry S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2020, 07:38 AM
Wallhanger

I use a hook 7.Have it rigged for camp boats with a alumium bracket that is adjustable so i can read bottom as iam travelling.comes with the down scan transducer or can switch to regular veiw.I gave a ice transducer i bought fir ice fishing for that unit.It works great both ice and open water.Ive fit it in a smaller cabelas tackle bag and its been a many plane trips and across many miles of ice .Gps works great also and it came with the canada map chip.Got it on sale a couple of years ago for 400 cdn.Have zero complaints over that unit.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:47 AM
Wallhanger

I have a Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 3 and my buddy has a Humminbird Helix. Both are great units for Canada and both have GPS. We have screens larger than 5" though. Mine has a touch screen and his does not, so for that reason alone the scale tips to my Lowrance. Something to consider - rather than purchasing a new fish finder to use only in Canada, have you considered converting a unit you already have to portable? That's what we did.

I disconnected and removed the fish finder head unit from my boat. I purchased a spare transducer that has downscan capability, a gimbal bracket, a case, and a gel cell battery. We both have the Navionics chip for US and Canada that has our lakes mapped, so we have the lake contour as well. I think the total price to convert my Lowrance unit was around $200, most of which was the transducer. My buddy was able to use the transducer he had in his boat.

Here's a picture of the completed project. We have to fly up to Canada, so keeping everything as small as possible and packable is important to us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Portable Fishfinder Unit.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	515.7 KB
ID:	323028  
Old 12-17-2020, 07:52 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry S View Post
Elway, I have been also thinking of getting an upgraded fishfinder for fly-in trips I now use a hummingbird Pirahna which is fine, but would like a better unit with GPS

The main problem with getting a Helix Unit is that I fly into Canada and the Battery the Unit uses Cannot be taken on a plane. I have determined that I will stick with my current fishfinder and use a portable GPS

As you live in Arizona will you have the same problem, flying to Canada that I have if you get a Helix unit??

Larry S
We also fly to Canada and carry on the gel cell batteries that we use to power our fish finders. Tape the terminals and put the battery inside a zip lock bag. You're good to go. We have carried them on the plane with us and also checked them in our luggage. Both methods are acceptable.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:01 AM
Keeper

Hey,

I am not sure which battery comes with the Helix all in one. Frankly I would buy the carrying case / unit / battery separately and assemble the best of the best. I checked the measurements on the Dakota Lithium units and they will fit in the Hummingbird all in one bag up to like 80-100ahr.

Here are the lithium ion battery rules from the TSA. They are allowed on planes.
------------
Lithium batteries with 100 watt hours or less in a device

Carry On Bags: Yes
Checked Bags: Yes (Special Instructions)
Lithium batteries with 100 watt hours or less may be carried in a device in either carry-on or checked bags. Loose lithium batteries are prohibited in checked bags.
------------

Brett
Old 12-17-2020, 05:23 PM
Keeper

As others have said you can take on the 12v Lithium or SLA batteries on the commercial planes. I have done it everytime we have flown to MN & Canada. I make all of my fish finders "portable" I don't have a boat so it is only used for fishing on Canadian shield lakes. That's why I don't need a big screen and just want it for helping me hunt for walleyes and keep good GPS trials etc.
Old 12-17-2020, 05:53 PM
Keeper

Here is my portable set up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3070.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	323058   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3068.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	323060   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3069.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	323062  
Old 12-17-2020, 08:56 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by elway12 View Post
Here is my portable set up
Looks like you have one of the battery cases from fish finder mounts. I took the elite 7 ti from bow that I never use. Mounted it to a helix ice base with a handmade platform to mount ti bracket to base. And, I ordered the magnetic transducer mount for totalscan from fish finder mounts. Fun project to fight winter boredom.

I like Humminbird and Lowrance. I was trying to get sidescan to speed up breaking down an unmapped lake.

Biggest difference Iím aware of between the 2 is touch screen or buttons for menus. Not a big deal to me.

Good luck with your project.