Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ontario Non-Resident Fishing License Anyone? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 01-08-2021, 03:05 PM
Keeper

Default Ontario Non-Resident Fishing License Anyone?

Just for grins I went onto the website to purchase an Ontario Non-Resident Fishing license. Sure looks like you can buy one for 2021 but it does say you may want to check to see if the borders are closed.

Still makes no sense to me why boaters and fishermen canít go across the border either way as long as we donít touch land. Donít think anyone is going to spread Cooties a mile off shore. Heck in the Detroit and St Clair rivers youíre not far from Canadian land when youíre on the American side of the border, much closer than being in the middle of the lake.

For years we have had different rules when crossing into Ontario waters. If you are going to touch land you have to call Canadian Customs but if you were just traveling in Canadian water you didnít have to do anything. Itís not like weíre on the border with Russia or North Korea.

You would think they could figure something out since this might add a bit of normalcy to these crazy times.

Donscs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2021, 03:54 PM
Keeper

bought one last year and never got to use it, still closed so not buying one till border opens
Old 01-08-2021, 04:15 PM
Keeper

Until we can cross it makes no sense. Didnít get to use mine last year but I did get a refund.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2021, 05:16 PM
Wallhanger

I will wait to buy my license when I'm assured I can get across the border. I bought a 2020 license, but did get to use for 3 trips for ice fishing before they closed the border. I would like a one year extension on my Outdoor Card.
Old 01-08-2021, 06:11 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donscs View Post
Until we can cross it makes no sense. Didnít get to use mine last year but I did get a refund.
Who did you get ahold of to get a refund? i called and was told no refunds
Old 01-08-2021, 06:13 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Who did you talk to for refund ? i call and was told no refunds
Old 01-09-2021, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

BIL got a refund, don't know the person he talked with.

Bill
Old 01-09-2021, 01:29 PM
Slot Fish

I emailed the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry and copied photos of my license and Outdoor Card and due to the closure of the border, requested a refund. I got a refund but it took three months for it to be processed.

Here is the response I got back from my email asking for a refund.

Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, our current refund policy is as follows:

For purchases made between*December 3, 2019*(first available date for 2020 licence products) and*March 17, 2020*(date state of emergency was declared for Ontario), we will consider*refunds*for the following*non-expired products, and waive the $10.50 administrative fee:

1-day and 8-day licences for all residencies if contacted before the effective date of the licences;1-year and 3-year fishing licences purchased by Canadian and*non-Canadian*residents (excludes Ontario*residents);Hunting licences and tags purchased by*non-ResidentsOutdoors Cards purchased with one of the above items

We are not able to extend validity dates on licence products.

We will submit for a refund of your 8-day license as you emailed us the day before expiry. Your refund (if approved by the refunds department), will arrive in approximately 6 to 8 weeks via cheque in the mail. *

We are currently in our peak season. Call volumes are typically higher early in the week, particularly after the weekend. The best time to reach us is Monday-Friday at 8:30am EST. Callers may receive busy signals and disconnects because of the call volume.

Regards,

NRISC Web Reader Ė AKC

Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry

Natural Resources Information and Support Centre

300 Water Street, 5th Floor N

Peterborough, ON K9J 3C7

1-800-667-1940/1-800-387-7011

TTY: 1-866-686-6072

[email protected]

Messages sent by email are not secure.* If you choose to provide your personal information, it will not be encrypted, nor will our response be encrypted.* Alternatively you can phone 1-800-667-1940 or 1-800-387-7011 between 8:30AM and 5:00PM, Monday through Friday. As part of providing accessible customer service, please let us know if you have any accommodation needs or require communication supports or alternate formats.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2021, 04:57 PM
Keeper

My group used the same email method as the previous post. All 4 of us got our refund back in 4-6 weeks of our 8 day Conservation licenses.
Old 01-10-2021, 05:59 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Just for grins I went onto the website to purchase an Ontario Non-Resident Fishing license. Sure looks like you can buy one for 2021 but it does say you may want to check to see if the borders are closed.

Still makes no sense to me why boaters and fishermen canít go across the border either way as long as we donít touch land. Donít think anyone is going to spread Cooties a mile off shore. Heck in the Detroit and St Clair rivers youíre not far from Canadian land when youíre on the American side of the border, much closer than being in the middle of the lake.

For years we have had different rules when crossing into Ontario waters. If you are going to touch land you have to call Canadian Customs but if you were just traveling in Canadian water you didnít have to do anything. Itís not like weíre on the border with Russia or North Korea.

You would think they could figure something out since this might add a bit of normalcy to these crazy times.

Donscs
I do agree it makes no sense what so ever.

Fisherman 1792