Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Charging port issues with Terrova remote. - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 05-09-2021, 09:18 AM
Keeper

Default Charging port issues with Terrova remote.

I’m curious if anyone else has had problems with the charging cord (terminal end) making contact with the remote. This is the worst fit of any chargeable device I own and has been since I got it. Some folks may only charge at home and lay the remote down on a table or counter in which there may not be an issue. I can’t do that when out on multiple day remote camping trips so I charge in the boat from a 12v port. I have a Minn Kota cradle designed for this remote on a Ram mount and it is steady and secure. However the cord doesn’t have a snug fit and just the weight of it can cause a loss of contact. I’ve resorted to supporting the cord near the remote but I’m still having problems with losing contact. Now I’m using a $&@?! rubber band to pull the terminal end down into the remote as the slightest movement causes loss of contact. I ended up using the foot pedal this last trip because it wasn’t charging when I thought it was(the red charge light was on).

Anyone else have this issue? Solutions?
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2021, 09:45 AM
MikeF unlogged

Beautiful engineering design.

Someone had previously posted a slick idea to help with the great engineering design by Minn Kota.

The tapered end of a small wire tye inserted in the groove of the plug and then inserted into the remote makes for a snug fit.

Do a search to see if you can find the post.
Old 05-09-2021, 10:19 AM
Keeper

I did a search first but didn’t come up with much. Search words are critical though, thanks for the response. I had thought about brushing on some epoxy to get a tighter fit.
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2021, 08:26 PM
Keeper

It is funny that I am reading this post because I just ran into this issue yesterday. Like you, the red light did NOT mean that the remote was charging. Secondly, I had to keep adjusting the charging cable to get just the right connection so that it was charging. How did I know it was charging? I kept it turned on while plugged in so I could see the charging symbol on the battery icon.

If you discover a remedy for this or a more reliable means to ensure charging, please post. I will do the same.
Old 05-12-2021, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator

When that happens to mine, I just get a new charging cable. They only seem to last one season. Yeah, I know, "I shouldn't have to buy a new cable"....but, it is what it is.

I like to have the peace of mind of knowing it's charging when I plug it in, so 30.00 a season is a small price to pay for that peace of mind.

I keep a spare in the boat.

But, hey, that's just me. Until they come up with a better design, I have to do what I have to do.

https://minnkotamotors.johnsonoutdoo...charging-cable
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 05-12-2021, 07:48 AM
Keeper

Good point Juls-
Three years of use isn’t so bad for $30.
I’m still going to brush some epoxy on it to get a better fit but I think it will become my backup.
Thanks-
Old 05-13-2021, 03:04 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF unlogged View Post
Beautiful engineering design.

Someone had previously posted a slick idea to help with the great engineering design by Minn Kota.

The tapered end of a small wire tye inserted in the groove of the plug and then inserted into the remote makes for a snug fit.

Do a search to see if you can find the post.
Is this it?

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201006_095041.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	494.8 KB
ID:	326422  
Old 05-13-2021, 04:32 PM
MikeF unlogged

[[Is this it?]]

Yep

I actual attached the tye to the cord so I always have it handy for charging.

I have 1 cord with 12 adapter in the boat and a second cord at home plugged into the wall always ready.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:02 PM
Keeper

With the exception of Apple, 99% of cables used on almost all devices are micro SD. So why is not surprising the engineers at Minn Kota had to design a specialized cable that still connects on one end to standard USB.

first thing I did was purchase a 2nd cable just to make sure I had one on hand. Just have to remember where I stored it...

Don't you just love engineers..