Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Can I extend a trail on a Humminbird? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 05-12-2020, 06:18 PM
Wallhanger

Default Can I extend a trail on a Humminbird?

I have a Helix 9 3G. Are plot trails preset in length or can I extend them? Lowrance people should never be allowed to buy a HB and HB people should never be allowed to get a Lowrance. I went from being a good user to a no nothing frustrated fool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2020, 05:56 PM
Wallhanger

2 miles max. You can start and stop them whenever you want. If you want to add onto an existing track you may have to buy something like Auto Chart Pro software. I have not tried to do that. Bob
Old 05-14-2020, 07:46 PM
Wallhanger

2 miles, that's crazy. At 1 second update on the trail it will only get 2 miles? That won't even go aback and forth on a small lake. You sure?
Old 05-15-2020, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

It's 20,000 track points. At 1 second intervals which is default that will roughly be 10-12 hours of trolling all day.

Default is also a min of 16 ft between points so it doesn't keep dropping them in the exact same spot if you're anchored.

If you wanted to increase you're track length you could increase the time or min distance.

You can also save up to 50 tracks.

Last edited by Plunker; 05-15-2020 at 06:39 AM.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:54 AM
Wallhanger

That makes more sense. Even moving the drop rate to two seconds should double that without any problems, right. I sometimes forget to save a trail and lose previous tracks. I have my HDS9 next to the bird for 2D and have been depending on that for trails. You can adjust the HDS to go what seems like forever. Still not nuts about the HB. Not because of any perforce issues but because of the learning curve. I switched for the mega + si and di and personally have not justified that decision yet.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Increasing to two seconds and even increasing min distance to 20 ft, or 25' along with two seconds should significantly increase your track length.
Old 05-15-2020, 04:23 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawg View Post
That makes more sense. Even moving the drop rate to two seconds should double that without any problems, right. I sometimes forget to save a trail and lose previous tracks. I have my HDS9 next to the bird for 2D and have been depending on that for trails. You can adjust the HDS to go what seems like forever. Still not nuts about the HB. Not because of any perforce issues but because of the learning curve. I switched for the mega + si and di and personally have not justified that decision yet.
Yea sorry about the bad info. That must be a number I did not update from the past! 1 point per second would be over 5 hours. I have not put long tracks to use. Bob
Old 05-15-2020, 04:53 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plunker View Post
Increasing to two seconds and even increasing min distance to 20 ft, or 25' along with two seconds should significantly increase your track length.
You can change both parameters? Which unit are you using? Solix is what I have now and it looks like a choice between time or distance. Either way you can have a pretty long track if you are not needing too much accuracy. I had not even checked out the option before. There is a slider that goes between 1 and 300' . That's over 1100 miles! Just a bit over the 2 miles I quoted! Bob
Old 05-18-2020, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

You can change both options at once on a Helix.