Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lowrance live mapping question - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 06-13-2019, 09:04 PM
Wade63

Default Lowrance live mapping question

I am currently using a gen2 touch on the Dash of my boat. I just picked up a hds carbon to instal next to the gen2 graph.

I was just going to run a power cable to the carbon up and run an Ethernet to the gen2 touch. Does the carbon need a sonar source plugged into the unit itlsef to run the live mapping feature?

I know the carbon will need a blank SD card that is no karger tban 32GB. Anything else I would need for the carbon to use live mapping. Was going to run GPS and Down image (fish reveal) on tbe carbon and side scan and/or 2d on the gen2touch

Right now the boat has a lss ducer and the 2d ducer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2019, 10:48 PM
Wallhanger

If your Carbon has the latest update it will not network smoothly with the Gen2 units.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 06-13-2019, 11:08 PM
Wallhanger

Also plug your sonar into the Carbon so you can use chirp. In your current setup i would first try to see if someone has an old software version so you can roll your Carbon back so you can network the 2 units. If that's not possible then I'd run the gen 2 touch for mapping and run all sonar and sidescan off the Carbon. That way you'd be utilizing the Carbons dual core processor and chirp capabilities. You can still hook both to a N2k network if you'd want to add something like a point one or engine monitoring on both units.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2019, 08:03 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade63 View Post
I am currently using a gen2 touch on the Dash of my boat. I just picked up a hds carbon to instal next to the gen2 graph.

I was just going to run a power cable to the carbon up and run an Ethernet to the gen2 touch. Does the carbon need a sonar source plugged into the unit itlsef to run the live mapping feature?

I know the carbon will need a blank SD card that is no karger tban 32GB. Anything else I would need for the carbon to use live mapping. Was going to run GPS and Down image (fish reveal) on tbe carbon and side scan and/or 2d on the gen2touch

Right now the boat has a lss ducer and the 2d ducer.
Unfortunately, no matter what software version you're running on your Carbon, it will NOT share the live mapping data with your Gen 2 Touch. In fact, to the best of my knowledge, the live mapping software on the Carbon will be disabled if there's a Gen 2 unit on the ethernet network. There's just no easy way to take advantage of all of the features of the Carbon while having it networked to your Gen 2 unit. It'll be a choice between taking advantage of all the features of the Carbon (CHIRP, Live Mapping, Fish Reveal, Dual Channel sonar, etc...) and the ability to share basic mapping and sonar data with your Gen 2. In order to take full advantage of the Carbon's features, all head units on the network must be Gen 3 or newer.

I'd suggest using the Carbon for mapping (Genesis Live) and 2D (CHIRP and the ability to connect two transducers), and using your Gen 2 for SI and DI (you won't have Fish Reveal, but the LSS SI And DI quite good). Run them separately, and only connect them via a NMEA2000 network so you can share waypoints and trails.

If you can upgrade the Gen 2 to a Gen 3 or newer unit in the future, it'll open up a whole new level of network capability for you and you'll be able to take full advantage of your Carbon unit.

Waxy
Old 06-14-2019, 09:25 AM
Wallhanger

I hope i didn't give the impression that an older software version would enable sharing of live mapping between a Carbon and a Gen2, that was not my intention. Hooking up a Carbon to Gen2 enables legacy mode, negating all the Advantages of a Carbon as Waxy pointed out.
My intention was to let you know that an updated Carbon will not network correctly with a Gen2 through ethernet. Lowrance put an end to that with the last few updates. An old version should let you network but you would be in Legacy mode but least the would work.
The best way would be to do as Waxy suggests and keep them seperate and just network via n2k as Waxy and myself have suggested.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 06-14-2019, 09:26 AM
Wallhanger

I hope i didn't give the impression that an older software version would enable sharing of live mapping between a Carbon and a Gen2, that was not my intention. Hooking up a Carbon to Gen2 enables legacy mode, negating all the Advantages of a Carbon as Waxy pointed out.
My intention was to let you know that an updated Carbon will not network correctly with a Gen2 through ethernet. Lowrance put an end to that with the last few updates. An old version should let you network but you would be in Legacy mode but least the would work.
The best way would be to do as Waxy suggests and keep them seperate and just network via n2k as Waxy and myself have suggested.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 06-15-2019, 10:36 PM
Wade63

thanks for all that info that really helped me out!

Say I use 12-gen2 on bow only hook power n transducer off minnkota to that unit.

Than say I have 2-carbon 9 on Dash hooked with power and all Ethernet and nema cables. If I added an touch Ti2 to rear and only used my power cable and nema cable what would all the info could I get thru the carbon if that is possible? On that (touch Ti2) unit I would manly only like/need GPS (map) and downimage.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:50 PM
Wallhanger

With nmea network you're only sharing waypoints,external gps/compass and engine info if you have engine hooked up. Map sharing and sonar sharing is all done through ethernet so no ti2 connectivity. Why dont you run an extra set of connection cables and take a Carbon off the dash if you go to the back of the boat if you don't want to pick up a third Carbon.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 06-17-2019, 07:22 PM
Wade63

Thanks for all the answer's. I will probably slowly "upgrade" and try to get rid of the gen2 touch n non touch unit. My want is to have a 12 and 9 at wheel, 9 on bow and a 9 in rear.