Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Spearfishing? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 06-18-2019, 01:26 PM
Keeper

Default Spearfishing?

A buddy of mine started spearfishing this spring. He's a casual fisherman but a hardcore bow hunter, so spearfishing seemed like a good fit to him. He's having a blast and a lot of success. He's not targeting big walleye; he's trying to find eaters but has harvested some big fish in the last month. I personally don't have an issue with him doing it and I think it's pretty cool that he's having success so soon. He's also putting a sizable dent in the carp population which is great. He's keeping it quiet and not putting any pictures on social media but word of mouth is getting around and some folks are starting to get grouchy about it. He's following the fishing regs. and within his rights as a licensed fisherman. I'm just curious what peoples opinions are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2019, 01:50 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highplains Fisher View Post
A buddy of mine started spearfishing this spring. He's a casual fisherman but a hardcore bow hunter, so spearfishing seemed like a good fit to him. He's having a blast and a lot of success. He's not targeting big walleye; he's trying to find eaters but has harvested some big fish in the last month. I personally don't have an issue with him doing it and I think it's pretty cool that he's having success so soon. He's also putting a sizable dent in the carp population which is great. He's keeping it quiet and not putting any pictures on social media but word of mouth is getting around and some folks are starting to get grouchy about it. He's following the fishing regs. and within his rights as a licensed fisherman. I'm just curious what peoples opinions are.
People are haters, and jealous. He isn't breaking any rules so there should be no issues. If it is too easy, and more people did it they would change the laws.

I love spearfishing also, I can't spear gamefish (walleye, bass, musky, etc) here, and some counties I can't do it at all. I have gotten a few nice meals of perch and gills.

My opinion is that is great that he found something he really likes to do, more people need to find their thing and not worry about what other people are doing as long as it's legal.

Curious is he using SCUBA gear or just snorkeling?
Old 06-18-2019, 02:25 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwl View Post

Curious is he using SCUBA gear or just snorkeling?
He's snorkeling and uses the 3' free-diving fins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2019, 12:19 AM
Charter Member

If he is doing this in Wyoming, it is certainly legal as long as he is fishing in a lake and not a stream or river:

From the 2019 - Wy fishing regulations:

Underwater Spear Gun Fishing
Fish may be taken by underwater spear gun fishing only in lakes.
No person shall use an underwater spear gun to take game fish
under water without obtaining a fishing license.
The use of artificial light to take game fish with a spear gun is
prohibited.
No game fish may be taken unless the underwater spear gun
fisherman is completely submerged.
All spears used on spear guns shall be attached to the spear gun
with a lanyard with a maximum length of twenty (20) feet.
Underwater spear gun fishing is not permitted within one hundred
(100) yards of any designated swimming or water ski areas, boat
dock, ramp or spillway.
A diver flag shall be displayed on the water when diving or
underwater spear gun fishing. It shall be a rectangular flag that
is either blue and white in color (alpha flag) or red in color with a
white diagonal stripe (diving flag), not less than twelve (12) inches
x twelve (12) inches and displayed no less than three (3) feet above
the surface of the water.
The limit on walleye taken by spear gun shall be two (2) per day or
in possession, except where designated as nongame fish or where
otherwise provided for Alcova Reservoir in Section 33. All other
general and water-specific creel and possession limits shall apply
Old 06-19-2019, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

REW,
The OP already established the regulations were being followed.

Quote:
A buddy of mine started spearfishing this spring. He's following the fishing regs. and within his rights as a licensed fisherman.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Here in Iowa, only rough fish can be taken in this manner. It is another way to enhance the outdoors, as long as it is legal. I used to enjoy bow and arrow fishing for carp and buffalo (mostly carp), It takes a certain amount of stealth and quiet to sneak close enough to get a shot. I believe in Saskatchewan it used to be legal to arrow shoot/spear game fish, but this may have changed by now.

Bill
Old 06-20-2019, 11:33 AM
Keeper

I'm surprised no one has anything negative to say about it. The WY spearfishing limit on walleye was reduced to two a few years ago due to complaints by walleye fisherman. The limits on all other game fish is the same as rod and reel.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm surprised no one has anything negative to say about it. The WY spearfishing limit on walleye was reduced to two a few years ago due to complaints by walleye fisherman. The limits on all other game fish is the same as rod and reel.
Speaking for myself, I have no problem with other areas having different rules and regulations than I may be accustomed to. Many years ago I went spearfishing while on vacation in Missouri. I don't recall the exact regulations but it seemed like everything was fair game except Bass. Could not spear any Bass. Much different regs. than what we have here in Iowa.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:22 PM
Keeper

Default Hpf

I respect fisherman. I don't care how one fishes: stream, river, pond, lake, great lake, ocean, ice fishing etc I get pissed at slobs,
polluters an anyone trying to restrict my rights to get out fishing -PETA idiots etc Spear fishing to me is just another method.

You mentioned your bud follows the rules - best luck fishing.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:38 PM
Wallhanger

A spear gun is just as lethal as a fillet knife. Doesn't bother me any.

"If you're wise enough to wear a seatbelt in your truck.....you're wise enough to wear a life jacket in your boat....." (B-man)

Grady White 208 Hard-top 200 Yami
Lund Pro V 1660 60 HP Merc
Pro-Line 24 wa 250 Verado (sold)
Lund 186 Tyee 175 Verado (sold)
Ram 2500 Cummins