Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Keyless car deaths - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 06-18-2019, 07:03 AM
Wallhanger

Default Keyless car deaths

Just reading about how 28 people have died since 2006 by accidentally leaving their keyless cars running in the garage and carbon monoxide killing them.

https://www.businessinsider.com/keyl...ths-nyt-2018-5

I have to admit, this has happened to me. Not in my garage, but outdoors once. Pulled into a lot, got out and left the car running. Pretty sure I hit the button to shut it off, but maybe not hard enough and it was running an hour and a half later when we got back to it.

They run so quiet, and with a little breeze or outside noise, it can be tough to tell. It would be easier to notice in a garage, but I can see how it could happen, especially to people who are new to keyless. Ours won't shut off automatically, and you can walk away with the key fob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2019, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump55 View Post
Ours won't shut off automatically, and you can walk away with the key fob.
My Dodge is the same. Not sure why after 5 minutes of the "key has left the vehicle" alert and beeping they don't automatically shut off. Maybe they will after the lawyers get involved.

HRG
Old 06-18-2019, 07:21 AM
Wallhanger

Corsa cat-back exhaust on the challenger makes this a non-issue for me... I have never tried to walk away with the key fob to see if it will shutoff on it's own though. I guess it justifies the old saying "loud pipes, save lives".

Alumacraft 175 Tourney Pro - 150 Merc, 8hp Tohatsu, Helix 9 SI/DI, 24v Terrova w/iPilot Link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2019, 07:30 AM
Wallhanger

With GM it can happen if you leave the key in close proximity to the car, but from what I've seen it shuts off automatically when you walk away. My brother parked Ma's LaCrosse in the back yard once while I rototilled the garden and when I was done the car was still running. Almost positive the key was inside.
Solix 12 G1
Old 06-18-2019, 07:44 AM
Wallhanger

Our Traverse will keep running with no key near by. I was a long ways away and it still kept running.

I think we can see how this will go...safety shut-offs will be made mandatory.

Then the lawsuits will start up from Barstool Billy who left his dog in the car on a 100 degree day with the AC on and just went in the bar to have "one". The car shuts off and the dog dies in the heat.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:59 AM
Wallhanger

Just put those switches in the seat just like your lawn mower so when you get out it shuts off, problem solved.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:20 AM
mk cant log in

Very easy to do.

Rented a car in Phoenix for a golf trip. First day got back to the car after playing 18 and it was sitting there running in the parking lot. Upside was it was real cool inside since the AC was on. This was an Infiniti Q50.

Used less than an 1/8 tank of gas, not bad for idling 5 hours.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:24 AM
Wallhanger

Making something foolproof just creates better fools!

Jerry
Old 06-18-2019, 09:45 AM
Keeper

My F-150 will beep twice if I get out with the fob in my pocket - annoying at the boat landing.....It also shuts off automatically if in park and idling for 15 minutes.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:03 AM
Wallhanger

We've never left ours running unattended, but there have been times when I would be driving my wife's car and end up stranded. She would get out to go shopping in one place and I would then drive the vehicle to another place. Since I don't carry a key to her vehicle, once I shut it off there is no way to restart it until she gets there with the key. Kind of a PITA, but that's technology for you. Luckily the distance between us has never been greater than maybe 1/4 mile.