Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Caribou hunt - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Big Game Hunting

Old 10-13-2018, 05:53 AM
Wallhanger

Default Caribou hunt

Been thinking of going on a caribou hunt for the last couple years, I was wondering if any of you guys have been on one and any advice you could give.
Looking at going to Labrador or Northern Quebec through an outfitter as the prices are cheaper than anywhere else.

Thanks.

Fisherman 1792
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2018, 09:49 AM
Wallhanger

I've never been on one, so I can't help you out there. But, if your looking for another hunter, I might be interested.
Old 07-20-2020, 04:03 AM
Minnow

Default Newfoundland

Check out Newfoundland. Did a moose hunt last September and saw numerous Caribou. They are woodland Caribou.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2020, 07:58 AM
Wallhanger

Quebec shut down caribou hunting a few seasons back. as far as i know it is still closed. your only options are Newfoundland for woodland caribou, BC for mountain caribou. or NWT or Alaska for barren ground.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:26 PM
Slot Fish

I would not go Caribou hunting anywhere unless I could shoot 2 caribou in one unit.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:56 AM
Wallhanger

Default Follow-Up

Greetings,

I noticed the original post is about two years old, so recent comments may not be relevant to the original poster. Nevertheless, I will offer an insight that may help others in the future.

I went on two caribou hunts - one in the NWTerritories and the other in northern Quebec. Both areas have migrating herds. I saw a whopping total of three caribou on the two trips: two cows and a calf. I spent a lot of money and never took the safety off.

I learned that if the caribou aren't where the hunter is, all else does not matter. I have always believed that a hunter can hunt harder or smarter to improve his/her odds of harvesting an animal when it comes to deer, antelope or elk. But when it comes to caribou, if they aren't where the hunter is, the hunter can hunt harder or smarter all he/she wants, but it won't improve the hunter's odds of success.

I spoke to some hunters at the airport when on my way home from my caribou hunt in northern Quebec. They all harvested animals but were very disappointed in their hunt. Their outfitter had 20+ camps, but only a handful of camps were showing animals at the time. Hunters were cycled in and out of the camps that had caribou, and then were "parked" in camps without animals, so that they could fish for lake trout or hunt ptarmigan.

One of the successful hunters told me that they were taken to a camp with caribou that had three times as many hunters in camp as the camp was designed to accommodate. They were sleeping two hunters to a bunk and some were sleeping on the floor. When they went out hunting, their guide told him to "shoot that bull" as you are leaving in the morning. The quality of their hunt was disappointing to them.

If I were to try another hunt, I would look into a hunt targeting woodland caribou as I'm told that these herds tend to stay in one place. Then I can hunt harder/smarter to improve my chances of harvesting an animal.

Kindest regards....