Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Best 165 boat for the money - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 09-21-2009, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 008wagon View Post
Well i am looking at buying new boat and with the way things are a 16 foot should do me fine . i usaly fish with one or two other guys and like to do lots of trolling . I have been thinking about the alumacraft navigator with a 90 on it and a lowe fm 165 with a 60 on it i just want some advice on getting a new boat i would like to keep it under 20k if possible. let me know what you guys think thanks
take a look at Starcraft, I am sure they have a boat to fit your needs and budget.

Rebs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2009, 05:09 PM
Keeper

Location: On the "Back Fourty"; just 1/2 mile outside Poe-Dunk, Iowa; turn west at Coot's on Deer Lick Trace.

I have been fishing out of a Sea Nymph FM 165 for close to 18 years; mine is a little narrower than the updated current Lowe version.

It has been an EXCELLENT boat for its size. I run a 40hp Johnson 2 stroke with a 6 hp kicker. Minnkota 55 lb AP w/US on front.

I had used it to wilderness camp on Lake of the Woods & Rainy Lake; fish the Missouri river impoundments and a couple in Arkansas too.

It does well with 2 people in it but I would suggest you max the hp.

Its very easy to tow with a small pick-up (you don't even notice it behind you). And does very well on gas.

Its probably a bit small for most people on the waters I fish; you'll need to be comfortable in your boat handling abilities on the bigger waters.

Its fine for all the waters here in Iowa. I find it OK but there is not a lot of room to move about.

All that being said.............My fishing buddy has an 18 ft Navigator (they don't make the 18 anymore) with an f150 Yammie on it.

It is obviously a much bigger boat but it too pulls and fishes very well. You do need a 1\2 ton pick-up to pull it well. I like the extra room to move about and do feel a little "safer" (or perhaps I should say "braver" in it).

I think either is a good boat and for me the FM 165 has been a very good boat. If you want something a little bigger go with the Nav.

You'll need to decide your needs and make a decision based upon those needs. If you need a boat for more than 2 people I'd go with the Navigator; if only 2 and you want a nimble craft that's a breeze to tow get the 165 FM.

PS.............I've decided to trade up to a bigger water boat; all though I do like my FM 165 and my friends no-longer-made 18 ft Nav I'm about to order an Alumacraft 195 Tournament Sport. I want a min of 18 foot and can't get that in the Nav.

Hope this helps.

W.W. in Iowa
Old 09-21-2009, 09:08 PM
HONDAM3X

Default HewesCraft

Have you seen the HewesCraft 160 Sportsman? The thing is made for trolling and heavy duty.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:56 PM
Minnow

Bought a new Lund 1675 Explorer this spring.Overall I like the boat. I went thru the same thing,boat show after boat show,riveted vs welded etc...Think hard what you are going to fish for and where. I fish lake Erie alot NOW..wish I would of got the 18ft. Food for thought. PS: love the storage and Lunds Smart Track!!