Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Conchas Lake NM - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 10-16-2000, 06:52 PM
Mt eye

Default Conchas Lake NM

Does anyone on this site fish this lake? Here is my report. Fished the lake over the weekend caught 8 walleye that ranged in size from 26 to 18 inches. I lost several others at the boat. This is prime time and be quick with the net!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2000, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Default RE: Conchas Lake NM

I have read for years about that lake, but I don't know anyone who has personally fished it. I have seen it mentioned several times in the Walleye In-Sider as a sleeper location. Pretty long haul from Denver, but maybe worth it.
Old 10-17-2000, 06:10 PM
Mt eye

Neal
I think it would be about a 6-7hr drive from Denver. Just a hop skip and a jump out west. I would agree that it is a sleeper! A lot of bass boys running around down here. If you are interested in fishing this lake sometime soon, shoot me an e-mail and I can fill you in on details. Keep the Pueblo lake trout net at home! Ha Ha. At first you think it is a snag and then feel the head shakes you know you got a nice one on! Good fishing to you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2000, 11:06 AM
KAZco

I've fished it several times during the winter months. Did fairly well going deep 40-60 ft. in the Canadian arm. You are looking at a good 7 1/2 hrs. from Denver. Usually you have the whole lake to yourself.
KAZ
Old 10-18-2000, 02:11 PM
dden

How big is this lake and what town is it near? Natural lake or reservoir?
Old 10-18-2000, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Take I-25 south all the way to Las Vegas NM. Then go east about 80 miles to the Resevoir. As I remember it is about 20,000 acres when full. I have driven by it but never fished there.
Old 10-18-2000, 08:10 PM
KAZco

Tucumcari is the closest and its 20 miles or so away. The facilities at the lake are pretty good. Nice marina and boat ramp protected from the wind. The reservoir has two arms to it. The Conchas river and the Canadian river come together to form the Reservoir. The Canadian arm is long, winding and fairly narrow. The Conchas side is alot wider and a straight shot up river. Pretty nice camping facilities as well. Its run by the Army corps of Engineers so you have to get an annual pass. Also be sure to get your license in Las Vegas on the way because you won't be able to get one this time of year very easily by the lake. Tucumcari is south and east of the lake so its not on the way. You have to go past the lake to get there.
Old 10-18-2000, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Fished it several times, over several years when I lived in Bloomfield NM. Have relatives in Albq. & Tucumcari that fish Conchas. Windy area. Not a choice if you only have 2 days to fish due to the potential high winds. Underfished lake due to the small population of people in NM, the distance from Albq., and the volume of water. Nice campground-- Well kept place. Fishing is either hot or cold. My experiences - Usually limits of fish or 2 fish in 8 hours of fishing (jig/minnow along dam, bottom bouncers in canada arm). If slow in daytime, try at night. Good crappie fishing once you find them. Good bass fishing. Lots of water, and like most western reservoirs, all the bottom contour structure looks alike. Gotta put in your time to learn the lake.
Smaller lake closeby with walleye- Ute.
Also walleye in elephant butte, caballo, and abique. Can fish in winter, as most big NM lakes don't freeze up. Heard there are walleye in the Rio Grande river, up at the box, but never tried it.
Distance from Denver gotta be about the same as Albq. - 440 miles. This time of year, you are likely to see only 1 or 2 other boats during the week. Not a whole bunch more on weekends. Night fishing - you'll be the only one on the water.

Good fishing to ya- enjoy some huevos rancheros for breakfast or carne adovada for lunch in Tuc or Santa Rosa depending on which end of I-40 you're coming from.
Old 10-18-2000, 09:36 PM
Wall/Tex

Conchas is an outstanding walleye lake impounded as a WPA project. Tucumcari is the closest town.It has two arms the Canadian and the Conchas. Each arm is distinctive and totally different from the other.It is lightly fished. Nearby, Ute Lake NM(60 miles)and Lake Meredith(150 miles) in Texas Panhandle also are good walleye fisheries
Old 02-01-2021, 10:35 AM
Minnow

I have fished Conchas a few times when I lived in Albuquerque. I have forgotten when the walleye run occurs, I remember its triggered by temperature of the water. Any one give me more information please.