Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
No Run Lights - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 08-01-2019, 08:23 PM
Slot Fish

Default No Run Lights

I seem to have developed an issue on my boat trailer. Last time out, my running lights stopped working mid-trip and upon getting home discovered the wires to the trailer light plug being quite hot and a blown fuse in my F150. Replaced the fuse and also the trailer light plug as it had sustained some damage apparently related to the heat. Plugged in the trailer again and the running lights worked for a few seconds and then quit and discovered the same blown fuse in the pickup and the hot wires/plug with the wire to the running lights showing some signs of heat damage. Brakes and blinkers seem to work fine. Just wondering if there are some ideas as to what would be wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2019, 08:30 PM
Wallhanger

Sounds like wiring shorted out somewhere between the plug and the lights, possibly inside the trailer frame tube. Do you have a swing tongue where the wires can get pinched?
Yamaha 50 tiller
Minn Kota Terrova 12V
Humminbird 898, Helix 9
Old 08-01-2019, 10:06 PM
Slot Fish

I do; I looked at that a bit today but will inspect more tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2019, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

Had similar problem, thought I found solution by re insulating several outside wires. found the real problem by pulling a few wires from inside the frame- some of the wires had many, many extra feet shoved inside, found a wire which had the insulation vibrated off, and was fired. I cut and spliced/insulated,the wire and fixed the problem.

Bill
Old 08-02-2019, 06:56 AM
Wallhanger

Trailers have some sharp edges where holes are drilled/punched. Odds are there is a wire that has a small nick and touches some times, and not others. Trailer harnesses are pretty inexpensive. If it was me, I would pull out the old and install a new one.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:40 AM
Slot Fish

From my limited knowledge of wiring that was kind of what I was thinking would be the problem. Do you guys know of any good videos/tutorials for pulling wire through a boat trailer? Any estimate on difficulty level for DIY or what it would cost to have a shop do it (I have a trailer shop less than 5 minutes from my house)?
Old 08-02-2019, 08:47 AM
Wallhanger

Every trailer is a bit different but it's pretty easy to do.

Use old wire as a fish line and pull new wire through as you pull out the old.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 08-02-2019, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Slough,
Do yourself a favor and rewire your boat.

If you can remove your boat off the trailer and drop it into the water while doing the rewiring, it will make the job very very easy.

Take your tools and wiring kit to the lake and drop the boat in the water. Tie up the boat and take your rig to an empty part of the parking lot and rewire your trailer.

If your trailer is very old, or if you have incandescent light bulbs, also replace your lights at the same time for clearance lights as well as any lights on the rear of the trailer.

If your wiring has been running along the frame of the trailer and is being held in place with clips, do yourself a favor and pick up some 3/5 inch thinwall pvc tubing and some nylon tie straps with a holding hole on one end of the tie straps.

Then, lay out the tubing in the appropriate places to support your wiring and use the tie straps and pop rivets to support the tubing - if you do not have the wiring already running inside the frame of the trailer.

Also use some appropriate sized rubber tubing to enclose the wiring if the wiring goes through any metal holes. The tubing will protect the wiring and will prevent any future possible worn insulation and possible problems.

Best wishes.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:27 PM
Wallhanger

Too bad you do not list where you live. Someone here may be close and be able to help you.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:39 PM
Wallhanger

When I had your problem it was a connection on the backside of one of the running lights. It had come unhooked and was grounding out against the frame. I would pull each light and check the back. Start at the front and go to the back of the trailer. You will see damaged wiring until you get to the source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk