Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Fly-in Lessons Learned - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 02-27-2020, 02:50 PM
Wallhanger

My lessons learned:

• You only need a FRACTION of the tackle you pack
  • Take lots of pics and videos - then actually DO something with them after the trip
  • Take time to relax! You don't have to crush it 100% of the time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2020, 04:45 PM
Keeper

Default Tools

I have 2 fly-ins under my belt, but a valuable lesson we learned was to pack a very small collection of tools. Screwdriver, adjustable crescent wrench, allen wrenches, duct tape, zip ties.

My first fly-in was compromised because of a single allen wrench (left on my workbench). It was the one used to tighten the bolt on the portable transducer bracket that keeps the transducer at your desire angle. Had to get creative on how to hold the transducer in place.
Old 02-28-2020, 05:23 PM
Minnow

I have had around 15 fly in trips and as the Pilot I brought what ever I thought I needed.
But my Tackle box on fly in on trips consisted of a Orvis bag with 4 Plano 3600 boxes and one was just Jigs of different sizes and colors. One plastic tails and fuzzy grubs. Two other boxes with Northern Pike lures. This was more tackle than needed. Rods 2 one spinning 6lb mono one casting 17lb mono. I had a home made rod case 7ft of 2 inch PVC pipe glued end cap on with a little foam cushion other end glued on a end screw out cap. It can be stranded on and is unfazed. I have never had a reel problem.
Rain Gear is a must and a Daypack for it with my survival gear in it and hat and bug dope.
Largest Walleye 8lb, Northern 47 inch I have never felt the need for a heavier line weight.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

freezing the fish guts??? why? didn't you have a bucket to throw them in an take out away from camp? seems like a real waste of propane - and that's number one lesson learned on a flyin - don't waste anything.

phish
Old 02-28-2020, 11:51 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSimon View Post
My lessons learned:

• You only need a FRACTION of the tackle you pack
Certainly, but far better to have it IF you need it than be without it for a full week. I pack a box that has pliers, wrenches, rope, and all sorts of other supplies, but in a handful of trips, I've had to make do with something that didn't work as planned and each time I've used something that easily could have been left at home because I didn't think I'd need it.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:04 AM
Wallhanger

Less is more as I learned from my time in the infantry. Each trip my gear and pack goes down as to what is truly needed vs sales gimmicks. My friend reads every pro fisherman article uses probably 1/3 of his pack.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:37 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishfearme View Post
freezing the fish guts??? why? didn't you have a bucket to throw them in an take out away from camp? seems like a real waste of propane - and that's number one lesson learned on a flyin - don't waste anything.

phish
The camp was already set up with a freezer in the fish cleaning house for freezing fish to bring home if we wanted to do so. We didn't bring any fish home but did put the entire bucket of fish guts in there each time we cleaned fish for dinner to avoid attracting bears. The next day when we headed out to fish, we brought the bucket along with us and dumped it across the lake. It worked out great. I would not have cranked up an idle freezer to do that, but it was already there and we weren't using it for anything else.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:52 AM
Minnow

I brought too many clothes on both of my previous trips, so I’ll likely scale that back for my next trip in June. Maybe I’ll take up the slack with extra food/alcohol.
Old 02-29-2020, 02:04 PM
Keeper

Weight matters and I pack our food so I pack as sensibly as I think I reasonably can. There have been many good points here about over packing (tackle, clothes, etc....) which I seem to pare down each year. With that said, we are on vacation so if we are 300# over weight at $1.00lb=$3006 (our group size)=$50.....big deal.....already have $1200-$1500 in trip (outfitter, gas, food, liscence, etc) not gonna sweat another $50.
As for alcohol....personal preference....i jig, you troll....i drink beer, you smoke pot...and so on...
Forgot items....i always bring a leatherman along. I know people mentioned assorted tools, that is a handy one i bring....another thing I've grown to be a believer in is my thermacell....wont go without it!
Old 02-29-2020, 02:19 PM
Minnow

The overweight charges for many outfitters are starting to go from a certain price per pound to having to fork out the money for a additional charter flight, I can understand some outfitters attitudes being tested, as in the past few years I noticed people bringing in more and more useless items, last year I seen a group with 8 cases of water, the outfitter said **** no, I noticed people no longer have huge hard plastic coolers or tackle boxes, but they bring double the amount of soft sided coolers and tackle bags, hence you're not saving weight. Just my observation.