Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Fly-in Lessons Learned - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 02-29-2020, 03:05 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeflip View Post
The overweight charges for many outfitters are starting to go from a certain price per pound to having to fork out the money for a additional charter flight, I can understand some outfitters attitudes being tested, as in the past few years I noticed people bringing in more and more useless items, last year I seen a group with 8 cases of water, the outfitter said **** no, I noticed people no longer have huge hard plastic coolers or tackle boxes, but they bring double the amount of soft sided coolers and tackle bags, hence you're not saving weight. Just my observation.
Speaking of water, the outfitter we use, Air Tamarac, has a huge jug of water already at the camp when you arrive. It’s a nice extra service that they provide, and saves us from having to deal with cases of water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2020, 06:26 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoxfeign1313 View Post
Speaking of water, the outfitter we use, Air Tamarac, has a huge jug of water already at the camp when you arrive. Itís a nice extra service that they provide, and saves us from having to deal with cases of water.

I only fly in bottled water (frozen) in a cooler to keep my food cold during transport. That's it. If you have a good filter, odds are your lake water is cleaner than the crap you're paying a lot of money to buy and fly in to camp.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:54 AM
Wallhanger

It's been mentioned a bit already, but a good lesson learned is to not sweat the small stuff.

Don't worry about $100 for overage fees .... don't worry is one guy wants to bring 6 rods .... don't worry if a guy wants to sleep for half the trip etc etc etc. Just let everyone enjoy the trip how they want to, as long as it doesn't ruin it for the others.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:56 AM
Minnow

-Bring more socks and underwear than you think you need
-Bring velcro patches to put on the side of the boat to hang hooks,lures on. We buy little 4"x 2" patches and they work well to hang crankbaits, jigs and rigs up so they arent sliding around on the benches.
-We bring a lime powder thats used in horse stalls to put in the outhouses to cut the stink down. We bring a 10lb bag and that seems to work on 2-3 outhouses
Old 03-02-2020, 01:19 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jveri View Post
-Bring velcro patches to put on the side of the boat to hang hooks,lures on. We buy little 4"x 2" patches and they work well to hang crankbaits, jigs and rigs up so they arent sliding around on the benches.

I have pool noodles that I cut in about 18" lengths that I slice longways and it fits over the lip of the boat perfectly for this.
Old 03-02-2020, 05:43 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSimon View Post
It's been mentioned a bit already, but a good lesson learned is to not sweat the small stuff.

Don't worry about $100 for overage fees .... don't worry is one guy wants to bring 6 rods .... don't worry if a guy wants to sleep for half the trip etc etc etc. Just let everyone enjoy the trip how they want to, as long as it doesn't ruin it for the others.
Man - an insightful post and one I need to remember
I often drive the guys in my group a little nuts worrying about over weight and stuff = end of the day bring what you need to make you comfortable - and per your note Mr Simon - enjoy, you spent a lot of time and money on the trip get the most out of it
Old 03-03-2020, 05:29 AM
Minnow

Default A few tips for a fly in.

As a fishing guide at a fly in lodge in Northern Ontario, I have seen hundreds of guests land for their once in a life time or "annual" fishing trip.The difference between the once in a life time groups and the annual groups is amazing.
I guess the first to establish is that my experience is guiding for a full scale lodge with cabins as opposed to some of you who I am sure are speaking about "outpost" trips.
1)The first mistake I see guests make is not communicating with us prior to arriving. Ive seen countless party's arrive with very little actual supplies as they were saving weight for the beer. I think folks would be surprised that many lodges will simply have your beer waiting in your cabin when you arrive. I have herd horror stories about MASSIVE fee's added on for such a service but I don't think that's the norm. 5-7$ per case as a delivery fee seems to be fairly standard.
2) Easy on the rods and tackle guy's! 2 rods per person is more than enough. I've had clients attempt to bring 7-8 rods in my boat! So much clutter and absolutely no need. If anything just tuck a spare reel in your bag,and a spool of extra line. Again communicate with the lodge before going on the inevitable pre -trip tackle shopping spree. I keep the lodge stocked with tackle that is actually hitting on the lakes at the time you arrive. Most lead guides do the same at most lodges.The only question then would be how much of a premium is the lodge adding on to the tackle? Ask! You will be pleasantly surprised that many lodges are charging a rate comparable to Walmart!
3) I think most would be amazed at the amount of people who bring 5, $300 rods and 2 grand worth of tackle yet bring in a 10$ set of rain gear! If you are planning a trip to Northern Ontario for a week plan on spending at least one day in the rain. I've seen many many guests just miserable and uncomfortable in the boat (or even call the guide day short) because they were more worried about their fishing gear than appropriate clothing. I always feel bad for them.
4) Last but not least bring a drift sock! I don't know of any lodges that outfit their boats with drift socks. As a guide that's on the water 99% of the time I can tell you a huge portion of my clients success is simply my ability to maintain a proper horizontal drift or troll at a appropriate speed. If you end up arriving at the beginning of a very windy week you will thank me for this one!

Those are the obvious ones I can think of right now. But number one tip I have if visiting a lodge style fly-in..ASK,COMMUNICATE, and follow the advise you receive. You may be surprised how much stress and anxiety a good outfitter can alleviate for you.
Tight Lines,
Waba
Old 03-03-2020, 07:06 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waba View Post

2) Easy on the rods and tackle guy's! 2 rods per person is more than enough. I've had clients attempt to bring 7-8 rods in my boat! So much clutter and absolutely no need.

Waba
While this may be true in certain situations, I assure you there are many times I can easily justify bringing 8 rods. Trophy pike fishing alone is usually 4 rods. Add on Walleye and maybe Lake Trout or Brook Trout and you can easily see how the amount of tackle can go up and up. Even when you try to use the same setups for multi-species.

A guided lodge maybe less so because, as you said, you know what methods are working. Normally I wouldnt bring all my rods into the boat either unless I plan on fishing 3+ species. It definitely is not pleasant when I do and prefer not to.

Regardless, people love their tackle and these trips are the excuse to 'use' it! So don't be too hard on the tackle junkies either

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2020, 07:35 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by adempsey2.0 View Post
Regardless, people love their tackle and these trips are the excuse to 'use' it!
Ya,I completely get what you are saying. As a former gear junkie (who often re-lapses for years at a time) Ive also been guilty of telling myself I need 8 trophy pike rods ,a dozen rods for walleye,not including my bouncer rods, ect..
When talking to guests (usually the "once in a lifetime crowd") while waiting for the plane at the end of their trip,it never fails I hear " why did I bring all this gear!?".

I agree, if it were myself heading to a outpost camp, I would tend to pack a little gear heavier.

p.s..know whats really sad about my addiction? I'm also a fly gear junkie. The struggle is real.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:43 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by adempsey2.0 View Post
While this may be true in certain situations, I assure you there are many times I can easily justify bringing 8 rods. Trophy pike fishing alone is usually 4 rods.
Not true a Bait Casting Rod for Northerns and a Spinning Rod is all that is needed. Northern's are not Muskies leave the Bulldogs at home.
As the Pilot if everyone brought 8 rods you will have a problem on the plane. I have been at the Kenora Airport and seen fishing rod cases left at the Airport because there was not room on the bush plane. Just Saying
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	316244