Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
What’s your interest (or not) in the big girls? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 04-03-2021, 03:22 PM
Wallhanger

Default What’s your interest (or not) in the big girls?

I’m a long time walleye fisherman and something I never understood is the Fascination every spring with the “big girls”! Is it trophy fishing? Braggadocio? What is it for the non tourney guy?

For me, it’s all about coming home with some good eats! And for me, that’s not the “big girls”.

Marty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2021, 03:41 PM
Wallhanger

It's the opportunity to catch fish that aren't normally available when jigging. The window to jig up those 10 pounders is very small so the anticipation is high. Come third week of April I can go to the D and catch 15-22" males all day long for a month. And a million white bass too if I want to take a light rod for that. The big girls have really gotten scarce since the survivors of the 2003 class died of old age but that hasn't kept me from going because the 18"-24" fish are still plenty of fun. 2014 fish should all be pushing 8-10# now and the 2016 -18 fish are in the 2-7# range. There's a lot to be caught with some end of the scale fish available.

I'm terrible at keeping track of these things but I think I caught at least one over 10# every year from 2011-2015. Maybe not in '11.
Old 04-03-2021, 03:59 PM
Wallhanger

I am interested enough that I married one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2021, 05:22 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtaproot View Post
I am interested enough that I married one
Can't argue with that!

Marty
Old 04-03-2021, 05:39 PM
Wallhanger

I like to catch the big ones, but the few fish I eat are 10-11" crappies and 14-15"" walleyes. the bigger ones I definitely throw back after a pic and some measurements.
Old 04-04-2021, 05:32 AM
Wallhanger

It's just fun to catch a big one once in a while. I don't usually keep them bigger than 22" unless I haven't been fishing much and I get a 24".
Some people fish and don't keep any. I fish mostly for fun but if it was just catch & release I probably wouldn't fish much.
Old 04-04-2021, 07:06 AM
Wallhanger

There is a saying about fishing that goes "The Tug is the Drug". There's something almost unexplainable about the feel of a big fish on the end of the line that is like nothing else and it makes me crave more.
Old 04-04-2021, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

They are fun to catch. Similar to catching a big Bass or Muskie. Don't eat them just having fun. I like to eat fish but he tastier ones in some species are the smaller ones. Also the tug as motioned is fun whatever the size. If it were all about eating we could just go buy some.
Old 04-04-2021, 12:16 PM
Minnow

Personally for me the drug isn't the tug, it's the hook up. I love the tap tap of walleye when you're bottom bouncing jigs or chucking stick baits. Same for when I'm fly fishing dries, I love the take when I put the fly in a perfect spot.

Once I'm hooked up, the fight of a big fish is certainly enjoyable but some more than others. Big walleye tend to wallow. I prefer fish like big pike caught in shallow water/flats where they have to scream sideways vs hold on the bottom.

If the tug is your drug try bottom fishing in 200-300 fow for big ling cod or halibut in the salt. Crazy tiring trying to reel up 100lbs of flat fish that knows how to create drag in the water...
Old 04-04-2021, 02:39 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braggart View Post
Personally for me the drug isn't the tug, it's the hook up. I love the tap tap of walleye when you're bottom bouncing jigs or chucking stick baits. Same for when I'm fly fishing dries, I love the take when I put the fly in a perfect spot.

Once I'm hooked up, the fight of a big fish is certainly enjoyable but some more than others. Big walleye tend to wallow. I prefer fish like big pike caught in shallow water/flats where they have to scream sideways vs hold on the bottom.

If the tug is your drug try bottom fishing in 200-300 fow for big ling cod or halibut in the salt. Crazy tiring trying to reel up 100lbs of flat fish that knows how to create drag in the water...
That moment of anticipation when the fly is right on line, floating perfectly and about to enter the fishes window is tough to beat. And then he eats a natural an inch to the side of yours.