Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Leech Lake 6/22-6/25 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 06-28-2021, 07:45 AM
Slot Fish

Default Leech Lake 6/22-6/25

Uff da! That best sums up this trip. I am headed to Leech the week of Labor Day as a replacement trip for Lake of the Woods this year. I had never been to the lake before and got my first deep-v this spring so I booked a short trip with the wife to see how the new boat handled and do a little recon for my September trip.

Tuesday- we rolled into camp (Red Wing Lodge) about 4:30 and had the boat in the water by 6:00. I fished until 8:30 and boated a 24” walleye on a Lundy Lil Guy tipped with a leech on 22 fow. Light SSW wind.

Wednesday- on the water by 5:00am and fished until 11:00 am. I caught the only fish that bit-a 6” perch. Went back out from 6:00pm until 9:00pm and no luck. 10-15mph wind out of the SSW and mostly sunny.

Thursday-fished 5:00am-11:30am and 1:00pm to 4:00pm. Had one fish on in 14 fow on a crank bait at Mokey Reef. Guessing a pike by the way it fought. Frustrated and determined I went back out after dinner and fished Big Rock Reef from 8:00pm to 12:00am. I managed to boat a 21” walleye at 11pm in 10 fow on a #7 Flickr Shad. VERY light winds from the NNE sunny. The lake was nearly glass like most of the day.

Friday-fished 8:00am-11:00am and 1:00pm-5:00pm. Managed to boat a 24” pike (skinny) on a crank bait. Same wind/weather conditions as Thursday.

Not the trip I was hoping for even though I wasn’t expecting a LOTW type experience. I was told by multiple people that the lake was difficult for everyone that week due to: the lake being a month ahead of schedule, coming in on the tail end of a large mayfly hatch (still a considerable amount of larvae floating on the surface, and poor walleye weather conditions.

I had no problem marking fish in 22’- 25’ but I couldn’t make them bite. I tried, spinners, slip bobber, cranks, jig three way rig with a floating jig head tipped with a leech etc. they wanted no part of what I had to offer. Reminded me of dating in high school.

I sure hope things are better when I come back the week of Labor Day!

Hook_settr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2021, 10:27 AM
Wallhanger

Sent you a PM
Old 06-29-2021, 11:49 AM
Minnow

I was up there the same week at Spirit of the North; Fishing was difficult to say the least. Mayflies on the surface
mayflies on the sonar, Marked fish hooks in the middle of some of those balls of mayflys; marked fish all over and they were 90% of the time associated with those balls of bug hatches.
Manage to land 4 very nice 21' - 24' walleye between Saturday and Wednesday.
Change to crank baits and managed to bend our rods on the many pike available- apparently pike don't eat Mayfly's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2021, 06:22 AM
Keeper

We are headed to Leech Lake next week for our annual trip to the cabin with family and friends. The fishing has always been tough this time of the year on Leech.

Okay - got to ask - what does everyone suggest to use? Trust me, we have tried and have used many different things over the years. Maybe we are not on track and need to totally switch up our tactics.

Thanks in Advance!
Humminbird Solix 12 on Dash and Solix 10 at Bow
MinnKota Ulterra Quest W/Mega SI/DI and I-Pilot Link