Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Public Service Message For Seniors - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2021, 11:27 AM
Wallhanger

Default Public Service Message For Seniors

I ran across this the other day and think it sends a good message. Do your loved ones a favor and reduce your clutter. They will be appreciative.

After moving four times in a five year period has really helped me to not be “that guy”. But I wouldn’t recommend that for dealing with this issue. I accept the reality of having my days numbered due to age but I still have to fight the urge to act as though I will live forever, thus accumulating more. Anyway, just some food for thought today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F630F982-19CA-480F-8815-851AA19F4925.png
Views:	208
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	329272  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2021, 12:13 PM
Wallhanger

Nice cartoon lol. I agree 100%.

I would add, put some time and diligence into organizing your financial stuff too. After my mom passed not too long ago, my dad put me on his bank accounts and walked me through all of his financial stuff. Along with that, he put me in touch with his wealth management guy. Feels like we're all on the same page.

It was a little weird going over all of it. But definitely wise (in my opinion)
Old 09-16-2021, 12:23 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwood View Post
Nice cartoon lol. I agree 100%.

I would add, put some time and diligence into organizing your financial stuff too. After my mom passed not too long ago, my dad put me on his bank accounts and walked me through all of his financial stuff. Along with that, he put me in touch with his wealth management guy. Feels like we're all on the same page.

It was a little weird going over all of it. But definitely wise (in my opinion)
Props to your father. I wish I could say that about my mother. She is old school (literally ) and won’t share ANYTHING with my sister who is executor of mom's estate. To top it off at 94 she is suffering from Dementia and it takes next to nothing to set off anger so my sister doesn’t dare ask any questions. Sad indeed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2021, 02:03 PM
Wallhanger

When my mother became unable to manage her own affairs I went to court with her and became her guardian and conservator since she needed to be in assisted care. I took care of her finances which made things much easier for the family when she passed.
Old 09-16-2021, 02:17 PM
Keeper

My wife and her sister each have their names on their mom's checking account, which has enough in it to cover all the final expenses. I do her taxes and am in touch with her financial advisor, so were good there.

My parents on the other hand are as stubborn has mules trying to get any information out of them!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2021, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

One of my wife's Aunts, in Greece, never married, no kids, owned a fair amount of real estate, passes away with no will or directive. By Greek law, all her property is to be split among her (7) siblings, who are also all dead, then on to the next generation of her nieces and nephews.

The poor woman has no idea how her stubbornness to plan has divided and alienated members of her family. We are at least 4 years into this, with no end in sight.

HRG
Old 09-17-2021, 04:53 PM
Wallhanger

Man I think I’ll take my dad golfing and out for a beer. Sorry some of you are going Through this
Old 09-17-2021, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post

The poor woman has no idea how her stubbornness to plan has divided and alienated members of her family. We are at least 4 years into this, with no end in sight.

HRG
Maybe she just didn't realize she was responsible for the actions of her extended family members. Geeze, don't blame her because people can't get along. They would probably be just as unhappy, and fighting her wishes, if she had given it all to her dog.

No one is forced to deal with another persons assets (alive or dead) unless they choose to do so.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:00 AM
Wallhanger

Nothing brings a family together like a death with no will and lots of loot.

Been in the same house for going on 40 years, while not hoarders, we seem to have way more stuff than we need or use.

Hard to throw stuff away when you favorite saying is, "I might need that someday"

Good post Sport..

Al
Old 09-18-2021, 11:43 AM
Wallhanger

My parents did not leave much to squabble about. Maybe the family would be better off if we just blow it all. I was always taught to be sensible with money and earn it myself anyway. I guess I will not be remembered well by some of my inheritor's, but an estate sale can be paid for and accomplished for a price and very little effort by the beneficiaries'. I have specified my homes to be sold and all the the other funds liquefied and distributed in the percentages I designate. Some will be happier than others. Such is life. I earned it, I have decided who gets what percentage. If any are troubled they can refuse it or give it to charity. Of course if the wife outlives me there may be differing quantities. Her choice then. A living will is the only planning I have done.(updated ever few years) If that is not to someone's liking, C'est La Vie. Just another old mans opinion.