Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Less Expected Posts This Winter - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 10-21-2021, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichA$1970 View Post
I think the numbers are dwindling. Covid was a major setback but look at the camps and docks and >80% of who I see grew up with Vinyl records, pumping leaded has, drinking from a garden hose and 3:2 beer just to date ourselves.

It’s so special to be up there but the future wave wants All Inclusive, WiFi, health club and other BS (probably a Participation Trophy) that I don’t see a backfill replacing the originals who no longer can hack the journey due to age.

When I was up there this September a guy asked the owner if he’s doing the All Canada Show and he said for the expense and he’s got Covid carryovers it’s not feasible.

This is a great forum to hear other's trips, experiences and thoughts along with meeting some people. I enjoy reading this site in the fall tree stand to pass time and after deer season then it’s a slow crawl to ice out.
I think the All Canada Shows were dying in the early 1990s.There are far fewer of them today. Internet killed them along with the cost of travel gong, paying a union guy to set up your folding table and hang your banners, etc.. All of the camps we used back then stopped going after a couple years as the return on investment netted few bookings.

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2021, 12:01 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da' Walleye Assassun View Post
There's less and less of the old timer crews. Who's gonna fill their shoes?.
This is on point, I have a trip scheduled and cannot find a 6th member to round out the group. We have a solid core of guys who make our trips but had one of our upcoming trip (was for 2019 but now 2022) members pass away and it has been tough to get someone else to step in.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:01 PM
Keeper

We use to go to all canada show every year. For us...i could spend time with my dad and gramps and also friends. Was a way for us to talk about canada in the middle of winter as we drove to the show. We usually knew where we were going though for the next year. I loved collecting brochures as a kid and reading them all. Would keep them all year and get them out and look them over. I will go again this year as I am 50 now but still have that young heart and love. I know where I am going next year but will buy a ticket and walk around and talk with past camp owners that I have visted over the years.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:24 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye2242 View Post
We use to go to all canada show every year. For us...i could spend time with my dad and gramps and also friends. Was a way for us to talk about canada in the middle of winter as we drove to the show. We usually knew where we were going though for the next year. I loved collecting brochures as a kid and reading them all. Would keep them all year and get them out and look them over. I will go again this year as I am 50 now but still have that young heart and love. I know where I am going next year but will buy a ticket and walk around and talk with past camp owners that I have visted over the years.
Fully agree with you as I already 2 trips planned but nice to get out in the dead winter and at least dream of being up there.
Old 10-21-2021, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Re: Folks in group dropping out(or just dropping). It is true that age takes a toll on the folks going up. A partial answer is to start taking up a youngster to insure continuance of an ever changing group. This fall, one of the 14 year old sons went with us,and he had a great time, in other years other youngsters came along. Going with, depending on age may result in some amount of extra work for the dad, but what a way to enjoy, and to create memories which linger way after Dad's time north has ceased. I personally have brought up a bunch of young lads over the years, many of which are still going up, my son and his best friend, being among them, these guys did the driving this fall. Paying it forward does have its benefits, too!!

Bill
Old 10-21-2021, 03:35 PM
Keeper

When I was a kid and my dad brought me up and other dad's brought their kids....the rule for the group was....the dad paid for his trip and then 1/2 of his kids...the rest was divded up between the group. this was fine with all the guys in the group and it took away maybe too much of a finacial burden that might take away from bringing up your kid. That is just the way the older guys in the group handled it long ago.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:08 AM
Wallhanger

Default my crew

I bring four to six guys from Oklahoma each year. As of now there is only one of us that has the shots to cross the border. I dont have dates for next year because of this, I am loosely tied to a group that is also struggling to put a trip together.

Hopefully the share a seat board is full i may need to tag along with someone. I cant go another year without Ontario.

I do have an Alaska trip planned so that is good.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambi View Post
I bring four to six guys from Oklahoma each year. As of now there is only one of us that has the shots to cross the border. I dont have dates for next year because of this, I am loosely tied to a group that is also struggling to put a trip together.

Hopefully the share a seat board is full i may need to tag along with someone. I cant go another year without Ontario.

I do have an Alaska trip planned so that is good.
Vaccine reluctance has taken a toll on all groups, I have seen a re-shuffling of guys within our own groups and talking to others it appears to be common. Once a new group forms it probably doesn't revert back to the old group. Groups spin off and morph ever since I've been going to Canada.

I'm glad I'm part of several groups. Almost like investing.... spread your risk of missing a year.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 10-23-2021, 05:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjshorthorn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakefish View Post
Not to be disrespectful, but I think there are fewer posts because of the heavy handedness of the mods during the border shutdown.
Nah....the Mods have just been enforcing the site rules that are clearly outlined. Keeping the “ naughty kids “ in line by putting them in a short time out , or a nuked thread, is a mild way of keeping things from spinning out of control where folks still do want to frequent this site for good information.

Yep, I’m sure I have skirted the edge of being put in “time out “many a time, which is a me problem, but I respect the process that the site continues to monitor daily so we do have a site like this to visit and learn from.

The way I see it......this site is no different than Facebook with the exception of one thing. The Mods on this site are not paid and do it voluntarily. On Facebook, they have an entire paid group on staff to monitor posts that do not conform to the site’s rules.

Just some random thoughts on the subject.....not that they are correct by any stretch of my feeble imagination.

PjShorthorn [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/images/smilies/rock-on.gif[/IMG]
I agree fully !!!
Old 10-23-2021, 08:13 AM
Wallhanger

My dad got me into this experience at a young age. I think I was 8 when i visited Lake of the Woods for the first time. Every year since outside Covid years I've visited Canada to fish.

We met a few other cabin owners this fall near our cabin. They couldnt believe how young we were. I'm 42. The other owners are late 30s, early 40s. The cabin owners we met in/around our area are late 60s and 70s. They asked us how we got a group together to build this cabin. Why are you guys doing this? Very surprised, yet excited to hear this experience hasn't died. Like you'll on this site, most families with young kids look for the All Inclusive, pool, Wi Fi, experience. Us guys that own this camp are going the other way. Wi Fi for emergency use, no All Inclusive, pool, etc...

Has this vacation/experience plateaued? Yes, however as US population continues to grow (90m+ since 1990) at the rapid pace its growing, there will always be growth with this vacation.