Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lowrance ActiveTarget - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 12-04-2020, 04:59 PM
Wallhanger

So how spendy are these. Almost afraid to ask. 😆
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2020, 05:45 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by egladding View Post
So, being the elite FS only has one ethernet port, is there any kind of hub that can add more ports to network 4 Elite FS 9" units together? Also, is this Active target Live a separate transducer that needs to be added to the Elite FS units or is it an all in one transducer like the SS transducers were?
You can purchase an NEP Ethernet expansion port that will give you three additional connections. If you want to connect the Active Target and view it on multiple Elite FS units, that will be the only way to do it. You could connect up to 3 FS units with the expansion port. The NEP ports haven’t been big sellers since the HDS units got dual Ethernet ports, but I’m guessing there’ll be a run on them now.

https://www.lowrance.com/lowrance/ty...xpansion-port/

The other option will be to add at least one HDS Live or Carbon unit on the network. The NEP box is $270, so you’re getting pretty close to the price difference to upgrade from FS to Live.

The Active Target is a separate transducer and black box, similar to the SS3D system in terms of components.

Waxy
Old 12-04-2020, 05:46 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Pothen View Post
So how spendy are these. Almost afraid to ask. 😆
MSRP for the transducer and box is $1499 USD.

There are some good links to it in the thread just below this one.

Waxy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2020, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So, being the elite FS only has one ethernet port, is there any kind of hub that can add more ports to network 4 Elite FS 9" units together? Also, is this Active target Live a separate transducer that needs to be added to the Elite FS units or is it an all in one transducer like the SS transducers were?
The Lowrance NEP-2 would allow connecting 4 of the FS-9 units via ethernet as it has five (5) total ports, and it works excellent. The Active Target transducer connects only to a powered module which then connects via Ethernet to one, or multiple units. The Active Target transducer has three (3) modes (Scout, Forward and Down), each of which need to be manually repositioned on the mount to work correctly in each respective mode. It does have a built in temp sensor as well.

Last edited by Hawker; 12-04-2020 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:58 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
The Lowrance NEP-2 would allow connecting 4 of the FS-9 u its via ethernet as it has five (5) total ports, and it works excellent. The Active Target transducer connects only to a powered module which then connects via Ethernet to one, or multiple units. The Active Target transducer has three (3) modes (Scout, Forward and Down), each of which need to be manually repositioned on the mount to work correctly in each respective mode. It does have a built in temp sensor as well.
So it sounds like it will be easy to transition back to this unit from my current garmin setups.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So it sounds like it will be easy to transition back to this unit from my current garmin setups.
Indeed! I've been running a Carbon-16, Live-16, FS-9 and FS-7 with the Active Target for the past couple of months and other than the much larger 16" screens of the HDS units, I'm amazed with the FS units every time I go out! Granted, the FS-9 Is easier to see details with than the FS-7, but they are both phenomenal in my book and I absolutely love the way they interface with the HDS units.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:17 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Indeed! I've been running a Carbon-16, Live-16, FS-9 and FS-7 with the Active Target for the past couple of months and other than the much larger 16" screens of the HDS units, I'm amazed with the FS units every time I go out! Granted, the FS-9 Is easier to see details with than the FS-7, but they are both phenomenal in my book and I absolutely love the way they interface with the HDS units.

I was actually looking at buying a few of the Elite TI2 12" units for $1000 each but now that these new units are out I might just do 4 of the 9" units.
I have 4 of the garmin 93sv units and find having 2 9" units on the dash and 2 on the bow is perfect. Granted I would love to buy some 12" or bigger HDS Live units but I certainly don't make my living fishing and have very good eyesight at this time so I thing the extra money is not warranted. Maybe I will start out with 2 of the 9" units and add a live or a carbon unit later. It is nice that they all network. Lowrance is really stepping up their game.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was actually looking at buying a few of the Elite TI2 12" units for $1000 each but now that these new units are out I might just do 4 of the 9" units.
I have 4 of the garmin 93sv units and find having 2 9" units on the dash and 2 on the bow is perfect. Granted I would love to buy some 12" or bigger HDS Live units but I certainly don't make my living fishing and have very good eyesight at this time so I thing the extra money is not warranted. Maybe I will start out with 2 of the 9" units and add a live or a carbon unit later. It is nice that they all network. Lowrance is really stepping up their game.
They are offering a bundle, Active Target and an FS-9 for $2400 I've heard and you can buy an FS-9 unit without a transducer for something like $999. But, you can get one with the AI 3-IN-1 transducer too which would give you everything you'd need for a complete system, and fully integrated with Ethernet.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:39 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
They are offering a bundle, Active Target and an FS-9 for $2400 I've heard and you can buy an FS-9 unit without a transducer for something like $999. But, you can get one with the AI 3-IN-1 transducer too which would give you everything you'd need for a complete system, and fully integrated with Ethernet.

I was just looking at that. I would probably bundle with Active Target and get the 2nd one with the 3 in 1. I am assuming all units on the network will share ducers and mapping just like normal ethernet connections for Lowrance? BTW, I just started a thread asking about the C-Map Contours+. If you don't mind taking a look at that and chiming in that would be great.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The Lowrance NEP-2 would allow connecting 4 of the FS-9 units via ethernet as it has five (5) total ports, and it works excellent. The Active Target transducer connects only to a powered module which then connects via Ethernet to one, or multiple units. The Active Target transducer has three (3) modes (Scout, Forward and Down), each of which need to be manually repositioned on the mount to work correctly in each respective mode. It does have a built in temp sensor as well.
It looks like my NEP-2 is finally worth something again!