Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
DWI - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Bone Orchard > WC Bone Yard

Old 01-03-2002, 03:55 PM
Keeper

Default DWI

Is it just a random thing to check people for DWIs at the border? Anyone have any advice, I'm a bit worried about all of this. I don't want to get to Salut St. Marie and get the ax from the customs agent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2002, 06:07 PM
RLR

Default RE: DWI

I hope someone can tell you if it is random or not because trying to get one of these things resolved is a mess. I am in the process of obtaining a Ministers Permit for temporary entry into Canada. A member of my family has an impaired driving conviction on his record. If it was 5 years or more from conviction you can apply for a rehabilitation permit that lets you in anytime if approved. Must get a Ministers Permit if less than 5 years, which is temporary. You can't imagine all the stuff you have to do, and there is no guarentee that it will be approved by the time I go, which is in Late July, or at all.
You have to have photocopies of your birth certificate, valid drivers license, each court judgement made against you, showing the charge, section of law you were charged under, the verdict and sentence.
Provide state police certificate for each state you have lived in the past 10 years. A FBI police certificate. Fingerprints submitted to FBI with $18.00 with a signed request for a records check. Two passport sized pictures, a personal statement of how you came to be convicted and reasons why you consider yourself not likely to reoffend,and what did you do that led to your conviction. Three type written character references from reputable individuals in your community indicating that they know of your conviction, and their name, address, phone # and occupation. Plus a 2 page application form.
All this just to go fishing. Is it worth it. I guess, because we are in the process now.

Old 01-03-2002, 06:08 PM
Canadian Guy

Get the access permit before you try to cross. If you lie when they ask you and they check........you will go to jail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2002, 01:11 PM
Keeper

when you are pulling up to the booth at the border, the officer "runs" the plate on the vehicle as you pull forward and everything starts from there. Whatever "record" the owner of the car/truck has or doesnt have is thye starting point.
Old 01-05-2002, 01:23 PM
RLR

Does anyone know if they automaticly check everyone in the vehicle or if the plate is clear you just go through?

Old 01-05-2002, 09:25 PM
Fuzzy

Default RE: Doesn't "jail" really mean prison in CA for this violation?

That ia what we have been informed. DUI or what ever is no firggin joke in Canada....it's a serious infraction. AND if you get in OK and move about please have a Designated Driver and a short trip. And don't bring any 'toker' buddies across the border either - zero tolerance is zero toleralance. See ya vehicle!
Old 01-06-2002, 07:26 AM
Keeper

To RLR: In your reply you mention from conviction. I honestly have never had a DWI, but I am wondering if there is a difference between a conviction, and a first offense of a DUI. Or is always considered a conviction? When they run a plate at the border, are they checking both a driving record of the driver of the owner of the vehicle, or/and they also checking a criminal background. How far back does a person have to worry about this on their record? And to clarify, this would apply to anyone entering, correct? Driver or passangers?
Old 01-06-2002, 06:10 PM
Just Lucky maybe?

Yes I have had a DUI, some 10 years back, but I also have a clear driving record with no new violations to pop up. I also no longer drink.

I go back and forth from Canada 5-10 trips a year (Including post Sept -11th 2001) being checked either by my plate or drivers license and SSI documents and have never been turned back, either way. I also carry a Canadian proof of insurance card suplied by my insurance vendore that I feel has helped in some way.

Why do they not turn me around when I KNOW they have run checks and have also randomly double checked my vehicle and boat registration? Is there a grandfather clause for old offences that they overlook or down grade there danger level if you have had a clean record for a extended time frame or what?

Old 01-06-2002, 06:38 PM
Keeper

So what's the best way to go about this? We are planning on taking two different vehicles into the country in case someone gets turned back. Should we have the two guys with DWIs ride passenger in two cars or ride together in their own car. And for the permits, I was under the impression that they just "better" your chances of making it through, not guarantee you. Is it worth the money and time/effort? I assumed that if you fill out the permits, it just automatically put up the red flag on the individual at customs. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-06-2002, 07:18 PM
RLR

It is my understanding that if your offense is 5 or more years old that you have a better chance to get in even if they check you. Still no guarentees though.
My personal record is clear, but I would not let someone drive any vehicle across the border if they have a drinking offense on their record. I will probably be in this situation this summer.