Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Short Shank Jig Hooks? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Home Grown Tackle > HGT General Discussion

Old 01-08-2019, 01:23 PM
Minnow

Default Short Shank Jig Hooks?

Anyone know where I can get short shank jig hooks. I make my own jigs using the "Do It Molds" and am partial to the double eyed jig mold with inserts for a clip on style stinger hook. I have been using Eagle Claw # 571 hooks but I am looking for something a little stronger. I am from Manitoba, Canada and our big LW greenbacks need a strong hook with little flex. On-line, I found some VMC # 7153 and 7154 hooks at https://vmcpeche.com/products/aberde...k-jig-90%C2%B0 and https://vmcpeche.com/products/aberde...C2%B0-fireball that look very promising but am not able to find anyone that sells them. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2019, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

I don't think the VMC will fit that mold? The 571 has a longer neck on the eyelet. I'll be curious what you find out about the fit.

I've never had a #571 fail and I use a lot of them each year. even when snagged on anything the hook does not fail.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 01-08-2019, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Is this the mold you are using?
https://store.do-itmolds.com/Live-Ba...red_p_448.html

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2019, 03:47 PM
Minnow

Hello Pooch. Thank you for the quick response. Yes, I believe that is the mold that I have been using. The engraving on the outside says "Live Bait Jig, assorted sizes, MODEL: LBS-6-A". I mostly just use the 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" sizes. When fishing, I use a lower drag setting and don't horse in fish but still, the # 571 hook is a fine wire hook that is quite springy. In my experiences, it does suffer from hook flex and bending. It is not a problem with smaller fish but we commonly catch Walleye in excess of 13 lbs from Lake Winnipeg and they can be quite agressive in hard water season. I was just looking for a hook that is a little stronger with less flex. Even if I have to make modifications to the mold to fit a thicker or less springy hook, or even to buy a differnt mold that will work better, preferrably of the double eyed type, I am OK with that. I have been looking hard for any alternatives but I can't seem to find anything else out there. I would like to purchase a smaller batch of the VMC # 7153 and 7154 hooks to experiment with, even if I have to use a different mold, but no one that I can find on-line seems to sell them or anything else that might work.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:50 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirwin4 View Post
Hello Pooch. Thank you for the quick response. Yes, I believe that is the mold that I have been using. The engraving on the outside says "Live Bait Jig, assorted sizes, MODEL: LBS-6-A". I mostly just use the 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" sizes. When fishing, I use a lower drag setting and don't horse in fish but still, the # 571 hook is a fine wire hook that is quite springy. In my experiences, it does suffer from hook flex and bending. It is not a problem with smaller fish but we commonly catch Walleye in excess of 13 lbs from Lake Winnipeg and they can be quite agressive in hard water season. I was just looking for a hook that is a little stronger with less flex. Even if I have to make modifications to the mold to fit a thicker or less springy hook, or even to buy a differnt mold that will work better, preferrably of the double eyed type, I am OK with that. I have been looking hard for any alternatives but I can't seem to find anything else out there. I would like to purchase a smaller batch of the VMC # 7153 and 7154 hooks to experiment with, even if I have to use a different mold, but no one that I can find on-line seems to sell them or anything else that might work.
Try asking here, great people and a wealth of knowledge http://custombaits.com/
Old 01-08-2019, 10:27 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NailsWI View Post
Try asking here, great people and a wealth of knowledge http://custombaits.com/
Thank you very much for the advise. I will try there.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:05 AM
Wallhanger

Default Follow-Up Question

Greetings,

I have used the Eagle Claw 571 hook for many years in the Live Bait Jig - it's one of my favorite jig styles. It seemed to me that there wasn't much of a hook gap available with the 1/0 hooks in the larger size jigs. The largest size hook that I could find was 1/0 if I correctly remember. I eventually shifted over to using long shank hooks in the Live Bait Jig mold to get to the larger size hooks.

Have you guys come across any short shank hooks in sizes such as 2/0 or 3/0?

Good fishing and tight lines!!
Old 01-09-2019, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Interesting. I have never seen any short shanks larger than 1/0 from any manufacturer. I do like the 1/0 and 1 for specific uses with the similar Do-It Walleye jig mold. In order to get a little more room in the gap, with the 5/8 oz size, which I like, I have modified my mold to have the hook eye moved back a bit. This does allows more gap room and allows the jig to hang straight when vertical fishing. Sometimes I cut the collar off, depending on usage.

Bill