Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Loading Ranger - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 08-28-2019, 07:48 PM
Minnow

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to respond and provide some great ideas.

The Drotto sounds like a perfect solution to help with solo loading.

The EzeeSteps - I love this idea. I am short and this will really help.

I currently have a two speed winch, which does help. I had previously thought about a power winch for my current set up, but didn't see any great reviews for the ones currently on the market.

Watching the one loading video - the ramp looks pretty close to the same type of conditions that we launch at. Have launch off the bank, but most of the time I will have a ramp.

Thanks again for the tips and insight on the models we are looking at.

DCJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2019, 05:21 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerHornen View Post
I've had a Drotto latch on the trailer for the last four years with two different boats. First on a Lund 18' aluminum with a roller trailer and now on a Ranger 620 with a bunk trailer. In both cases that latch made a big difference in quickly and easily launching and loading solo, and there's no climbing around on the trailer to get the winch hooked up (as long as you're not in an area where power loading is prohibited). I know they're not cheap at around $250, but for me it was well worth it.
I’m 73 and fish alone most of the time. The Drotto latch and steps make loading my 619 a lot easier. I added a centering keel roller to my trailer that also helps.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:45 AM
Slot Fish

Default Rangertrail trailer adjustment

I installed a Drotto on my 2014 621 VS Fisherman and love it. There are two issues here for me.
1. My boat barely fit in my garage before and now I’m 1/8 of an inch inside the garage, a real pain. My boat sits back 3 more inches due to the Drotto.
2. There is no way to hook my safety strap on my bow hook, tried everything and no go.

Question: I want to move the trailer latch in fron to the top holes which will bring my boat onto the trailer farther making it easier for me to get my boat in my garage. Has anyone done this? Is there a problem with doing this during loading?

Appreciate your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2019, 06:41 AM
Wallhanger

I agree with Juls. I back the trailer in get the bunks wet. Loads like a charm. I am by myself a lot and it's easy to load.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:06 AM
Slot Fish

Before I order the EZ Step for my trailer, I need to know if I'm going to have a problem because of the trailer having the break neck feature.

Do I need to look at another option? Looks like it mounts right where the pin is for the swing arm deal is..
Old 09-20-2019, 10:40 AM
Wallhanger

I regularly load and unload my 621 alone. At 65 I don't jump or hop too much but more step safely.
I am continually amazed at how easy the Ranger is to load compared to the new Lund I've fished out of.

Ramps vary in the angle but generally I back in till the carpeted liner inside of the fender is just below water, drive on till the Drotto latches, step out onto the dock and drive out. Even if wind is blowing the boat out of alignment the boat settles right onto the bunks straight EVERY time.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUNASUB View Post
Before I order the EZ Step for my trailer, I need to know if I'm going to have a problem because of the trailer having the break neck feature.

Do I need to look at another option? Looks like it mounts right where the pin is for the swing arm deal is..
Just give them a call and ask. It is my understanding that this is not a one size fits all product. I think they have several "build designs" to fit different trailers and a folding tongue would certainly be something that would be consider and built for, in that particular application.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:29 AM
Keeper

get the steps. makes it easy for me to load and unload alone.

i bought a stotts and never even installed it yet. i don’t even get wet when i load or unload. simply run a line to the dock and unload, secure, then drive off. loading is easier where if you cover the top of your bunks i have maybe two cranks. i simply step down on stairs, sit on bottom step, put my feet on tongue and crank twice.

get the F2 frank by fulton. the one ranger comes with feels like garbage compared to the F2.

99% of the time I am loading and unloading by myself.

Anytime I have help, i forget a stupid step like not moving the switch for the plug.
Humminbird Helix 10 mega di
Humminbird Helix 10 mega GPS
112 Ulterra with link
WavePro x2
Old 09-21-2019, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUNASUB View Post

These are custom steps. Mark will talk you through the measurements over the phone, if you like.

He will want pictures of your trailer texted to him, so he can tell you exactly where you need to measure from, so if you don't have a smartphone that can take and text pics....borrow one.

Super easy.

I have a swing-away tongue on my trailer too, and there are no issues.
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 09-21-2019, 02:38 PM
Keeper

if you buy new the ranger steps do not interfere with the swing tongue
Humminbird Helix 10 mega di
Humminbird Helix 10 mega GPS
112 Ulterra with link
WavePro x2