Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Crestliner 1600 Fishhawk - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 07-21-2015, 01:29 PM
Wallhanger

for 3 grand difference I wouldnt go w the 75. Not sure what the HP restriction is by you but it will make NO difference in speed whether u get a 9.9 or a 15 hp kicker, prokicker or not. I run a 15hp main on my 1750 fishhawk w 9.9 stickers and I get the same speed as the 9.9 I had on there, diff props tried and all. Hulls have a max displacement speed, once you reach that its a huge increase in power to get it up to start planing. save your money on the 60hp and get a 9.9 and you will break even, the 60 will get you about 30mph and a 75 will get you maybe 3mph more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2015, 04:12 PM
Wallhanger

One neighbor has that Merc 75 on a Crestliner Canadian. Another has the same motor on his pontoon boat. I wouldn't want that much weight on the transom of a boat rated for 75hp.

I'd get the 70hp Yamaha. Lighter/smaller than the 75 Merc and more juice than the 60 Merc. Plus - it's a Yamaha.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:37 PM
Minnow

So you think the Yamaha outboards are better? The 70hp yamaha is pretty **** light...
Old 07-23-2015, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradywk View Post
So you think the Yamaha outboards are better? The 70hp yamaha is pretty **** light...
I think it is important to know the similarities and the differences between the Mercury 60 4S and the Yamaha F70.

1) they both have the same displacement, 998cc (1 liter).

2) The F70 uses a "bigfoot" size gearcase, the standard Mercury 60 uses a smaller, 10" prop gearcase, the BigFoot (now called Command Thrust) is the same size/gear ratio as the F70's.

3) The F70 has 4 valves/cylinder, the Mercury 60 has 2. This difference in "breathing" appears to show-up at 5000rpm and higher.

4) The F70 has a higher redline (6300 vs 6000), this could allow the use of a 1" lower-pitched prop.

5) What is the cost difference? My guess is that the Mercury 60, as a factory-installed motor, would be less $$$ than the Yamaha, which would need to be dealer installed.

I've only found 1 real, side by side comparison, on the same hull, the F70 was about 1mph faster.

Certainly, if you are going to be adding a 100+# kicker for your hp-restricted lakes, I'd stay with the 1L class of motors. Jumping up to the 75's (1.5L), plus the weight of a kicker, is a lot of weight on the transom of a 16' hull.

Happy shopping, HRG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-23-2015 6-48-44 AM.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	166218  
Old 07-23-2015, 06:15 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradywk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
I think it is important to know the similarities and the differences between the Mercury 60 4S and the Yamaha F70.

1) they both have the same displacement, 998cc (1 liter).

2) The F70 uses a "bigfoot" size gearcase, the standard Mercury 60 uses a smaller, 10" prop gearcase, the BigFoot (now called Command Thrust) is the same size/gear ratio as the F70's.

3) The F70 has 4 valves/cylinder, the Mercury 60 has 2. This difference in "breathing" appears to show-up at 5000rpm and higher.

4) The F70 has a higher redline (6300 vs 6000), this could allow the use of a 1" lower-pitched prop.

5) What is the cost difference? My guess is that the Mercury 60, as a factory-installed motor, would be less $$$ than the Yamaha, which would need to be dealer installed.

I've only found 1 real, side by side comparison, on the same hull, the F70 was about 1mph faster.

Certainly, if you are going to be adding a 100+# kicker for your hp-restricted lakes, I'd stay with the 1L class of motors. Jumping up to the 75's (1.5L), plus the weight of a kicker, is a lot of weight on the transom of a 16' hull.

Happy shopping, HRG
Yes - I like Yamaha over Merc. I could go on about that, but it's just my personal preference.

The point of my post was that I'd rather have the smaller/lighter Yamaha 70 on a 16ft boat. HRG said it much better than did I.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:36 PM
Wallhanger

think you will find the cost of the F70 is the same as a 75 mercury, HP for HP the yammies are more expensive across the board and sometimes quite a bit. They are great motors, Id say reliability wise they are #1 and I personally run mercs thru all my boats except 1. That exception was a suzuki 40hp 4stroke and the best engine in my opinion. If you can find a 70hp suzuki for decent money and weight is similar Id go that route if cheaper than a yammie which Im sure it is. Most brunswick boats will only go with mercs, I personally drove to michigan in march from NJ to buy my fishhawk hull/trailer only and saved thousands off retail as a leftover, got my motor wholesale and installed myself, just need a dealer to stamp off the warranty if you have a friend or pay to have them lookover and sign off on it

Tags
crestliner , fishhawk , mercury