Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
keep warm at night while camping - Page 5 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2017, 04:40 PM
Wallhanger

We used electric heaters, when that wasn't available we used a resort.

Wondering if a bunch of them hand warmers you get in the package and remove to get them warm wouldn't work??

Al
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2017, 07:04 PM
Keeper

Been winter camping for decades, teaching Scouts to winter camp as well.

You will lose more heat to the ground than you will to the air. Make sure you have plenty of insulation between you and the ground. Sleeping in a cot is the worst idea, unless you use the same insulation layers under your sleeping bag as you would on the ground and hope you don't slide off. In the winter, I prefer to use a closed cell foam pad, next to ground, then my winter outer clothes (Carhartt bids and jacket), then my clothes for the next day (pants and shirts). Then my sleeping bag. If you must use a self-inflating mattress (type with foam core) place it next to the ground.

Next is the sleeping bag- Zero degree bag. I hate mummy bags and prefer a semi-rectangular bag. Make sure the bag has a draft collar that runs the length of the zipper. I also like to wrap up in a fleece blanket inside my sleeping bag. For me, when my feet get cold I get cold. I stuff my t-shirt, skivvies, and socks for the next day in the foot box of the sleeping bag, then put the sleeping bag stuff sack over the foot sock. Adds another layer. If your cold blooded, put a hand warmer in the foot box. A buddy o mine does and he says it keeps him warm all night long. I prefer not to use them.

Your body perspires all day long, change your clothes before going to bed. It takes more energy to keep wet clothes warm than dry clothes. If you must wear clothes to bed, wear pj's. Me, I sleep naked, even in the winter. If it's going to be sub-zero temps I wear a long sleeve turtle neck shirt. I always wear a stocking cap to bed in the winter. I am claustrophobic and cannot cover my head with the mummy portion of the bag.

If your still cold, I bring a wool blanket to throw on top of my sleeping bag. They are heavy and stay warm even when wet.

Lastly, it takes more energy to keep a full bladder warm than it does to get up and take care of business. Besides you crawl back into a warm bag.

Oh, one more thing. Your tent will develop a layer of ice on the inside. Relax, it's from the moisture in your breath. That layer actually helps keep the inside of the tent warmer about 10 degrees warmer than outside. Feels that way at least.

You can take layers off, but you can't add them if you don't have them. Same as clothing, layer up...
Old 02-25-2017, 08:32 PM
Wallhanger

We used to use the oil bath electric heaters if electricity was available. worked very well and didn't have to worry about carbon monoxide.

Tags
camping , camping gear , river camping