Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Can a solar panel charge trolling motor batteries? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 05-09-2019, 08:38 AM
P=IE

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernH View Post
Perhaps you need to check your math.

When using a 120 AC volt charger to charge a 12 V a battery at 10 amps, the charger isn't using 1200 watts (its more like the 100 watts...)

Many solar panels are typically already running at 12 v. so a 100 watt solar panel is already putting our almost 10 amps.
Not necessarily Vern. A 100 Watt solar panel would only put out 100 watts if everything would be of optimum conditions, meaning a glaring sun at the correct angle. Just because a panel has a certain rating doesn't mean its output lives up to its claim. Very unlikely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2019, 09:49 AM
Wallhanger

I would recommend a solar charger That shuts down when the batterys charged up, Just because I know someone that fried his battery. I think he left the solar panel hooked up for a few weeks. It really overcharged his battery.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:29 AM
Slot Fish

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes I am interested in recharging 3 TM batteries via solar. The TM batteries power a 36 volt trolling motor. Currently there is an on board battery charger which is 120 volt. Problem is running an extension cord over 150 feet is a hassle.

In a perfect world I will install a solar charging system that would work with both the boat lift battery and either through a switch or maybe another cord/plug change the output of the solar panel to be directed to the TM batteries.

I'll check with a few local camper retailers and see what solar options they have.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:10 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone821 View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

Yes I am interested in recharging 3 TM batteries via solar. The TM batteries power a 36 volt trolling motor. Currently there is an on board battery charger which is 120 volt. Problem is running an extension cord over 150 feet is a hassle.

In a perfect world I will install a solar charging system that would work with both the boat lift battery and either through a switch or maybe another cord/plug change the output of the solar panel to be directed to the TM batteries.

I'll check with a few local camper retailers and see what solar options they have.
Maybe I'm missing something, so I'm sorry if I am, but I really fail to see how running an ultra reliable 120V extension cord 150' is more of a hassle than having an large/elaborate, potentially unreliable, and EXPENSIVE solar panel setup on your dock/boat lift.

If you want to charge three 12V deep cycle trolling motor batteries, especially if you want to do it quickly, you're going to need a pretty substantial solar setup to generate that kind of sustained amperage. Keep in mind also, it's not going to work overnight to charge those batteries so they're ready for the next day.

I'm actually in exactly the same boat so to speak. I have to run a cord across a large beach and then out along about 80' of pier to get to my boat lift. I installed an outdoor GFI outlet, bought a couple of ultra heavy duty 100' extension cords, and spent an hour or so securing the cords to the pier. It operates the 120V boat lift winch, and I just simply plug in my onboard battery chargers at the end of the day. Problem solved, totally hassle free, it's safe, and it works perfectly. The only issue I've ever had is the cord getting washed around a little bit in a storm when the water level comes up and moves the sand around, it's never been more than an inconvenience.

Waxy
Old 05-09-2019, 12:20 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, so I'm sorry if I am, but I really fail to see how running an ultra reliable 120V extension cord 150' is more of a hassle than having an large/elaborate, potentially unreliable, and EXPENSIVE solar panel setup on your dock/boat lift.

If you want to charge three 12V deep cycle trolling motor batteries, especially if you want to do it quickly, you're going to need a pretty substantial solar setup to generate that kind of sustained amperage. Keep in mind also, it's not going to work overnight to charge those batteries so they're ready for the next day.

I'm actually in exactly the same boat so to speak. I have to run a cord across a large beach and then out along about 80' of pier to get to my boat lift. I installed an outdoor GFI outlet, bought a couple of ultra heavy duty 100' extension cords, and spent an hour or so securing the cords to the pier. It operates the 120V boat lift winch, and I just simply plug in my onboard battery chargers at the end of the day. Problem solved, totally hassle free, it's safe, and it works perfectly. The only issue I've ever had is the cord getting washed around a little bit in a storm when the water level comes up and moves the sand around, it's never been more than an inconvenience.

Waxy
Did an Airbnb last fall and stayed at a camp right on the water of Lake Ontario. Guy had docks about 150' from the house. He ran a heavy gauge extension cord in a PVC pipe buried in the ground out to the docks, we charged everything we needed to right off that no problems. Seems like a much easier/cheaper solution that setting up solar panels/batteries/etc.

Alumacraft 175 Tourney Pro - 150 Merc, 8hp Tohatsu, Helix 9 SI/DI, 24v Terrova w/iPilot Link
Old 05-09-2019, 01:14 PM
Slot Fish

Waxy, thanks for the comment. Your method was my choice last summer and then an electrician suggested I look at solar. He mentioned the cost to bury power from the cottage to the water’s edge would be excessive due to the code line depth, tree roots, possible rock, etc. I wasn't sold on not doing the 120 volt but I figure I would at least research the solar option through this forum.

Last edited by t-bone821; 05-09-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:24 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone821 View Post
Waxy, thanks for the comment. Your method was my choice last summer and then an electrician suggested I look at solar. He mentioned the cost to bury power from the cottage to the water’s edge would be excessive due to the code line depth, tree roots, possible rock, etc. I wasn't sold on not doing the 120 volt but I figure I would at least research the solar option through this forum.
I guess it depends on how big an issue having that extension cord running across your yard is. I don't think I'd ever go to the hassle/expense of burying it if it was that involved.

For me, it's a non issue, but I was able to string mine under the deck and out of sight. From there I just let it sit on the sand across the beach out to the pier. I've got my cord setup on a hose reel up by my deck. If the kids are playing down there or there's a nasty storm rolling in, it takes 5 mins to unplug it at the pier and roll it up. Grab the end, walk to the pier and plug it in and you're back in business.

You might be able to come up with something similar pretty easily. Or alternatively, just bend the rules a little bit when it comes to how deep it's buried...

Waxy

Last edited by Waxy; 05-09-2019 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:28 PM
Wallhanger

T bone. Did you not say your hoist was 100 feet from shore. Would that not negate AC? Bob
Old 05-09-2019, 02:38 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
T bone. Did you not say your hoist was 100 feet from shore. Would that not negate AC? Bob
Why would that matter?

Waxy
Old 05-09-2019, 03:06 PM
Wallhanger

Extensions out into the lake?