Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
The BIG Question. - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 01-08-2004, 11:30 AM
Wallhanger

Default RE: The BIG Question.

[b]Good solid Poop as always Dennis. And I think you hit the (Pro word) Hang-up for me on the nose. I'll work on it though, I promise. :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2004, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

[b] >This is a great question, There are alot of "pros" that I
>wouldnt want near me, ( and Im sure there are more than a few
>that wouldnt want to be near me either ) And there are a whole
>more that fought and clawed and learned the hard way and have
>proved them selfs time and time again that I would be more
>than proud to fish with.
> I think what a close freind used to say about competitive
>fishing years ago says it all "money doesnt make the pro, the
>pro learns how to make the money".
>
>
>
>scooter

Scooter my man ~ Great post!!! :)

Old 01-08-2004, 11:43 AM
Wallhanger

Your question to once a pro always a pro:

A true professional is one who makes there name in there sport and is respected and admired by there piers for what they have contributed to the sport in which they participate in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2004, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

........money doesnt make the pro, the pro learns how to make the money............

love that quote.........wish I thought of it......... would like to use it some time.......
Old 01-08-2004, 12:10 PM
Wallhanger

>........money doesnt make the pro, the pro learns how to make
>the money............
>
>love that quote.........wish I thought of it......... would
>like to use it some time.......

[b] Easy Dennis.

If Scooter is a Pro, he may want some residuals from the use of his catch phrases. :D. Sorry, It's going to take time.....
Old 01-08-2004, 12:19 PM
sevenmmm

This whole debate on a simple word is only grounded in jealousy. Most who bring this up have a serious hang-up that some who entered into tournaments as a pro-side angler, can do so simply because they have the courage, time, and money, to get it done. Vs those who don't.

And this is also true of tournaments with strict qualifications to enter. One still needs; and I repeat! Courage, Time, and Money!

But will acknowledge there is a big difference between a Pro, and becoming a "Professional". To make the jump into the Professional ranks is to be one "good enough" to make a living off the endeavor.

Up until the fishing industry (oh yes, and out-of-industry) sponsors enough tournament fisherman, enabling them to become Professionals, these others who have the wherewithall do more than deserve the "Pro" title.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:25 PM
D. Crom

That is a very good question about luck and fishing, many a good fisherman has said that; there is a luck component or carma component to tournament fishing. For example when fishing a previous tournament a teammate of mine and I were fishing the same school of fish, pass after pass of not catching any fish changing baits and presentations with no results and then he comes along with the same baits and same speed and he gets results is it luck or being in the right place at the right time. Two tournament boats running side by side same baits same speed even the same type boat, one catches one dosent.
One other senario two fishermen fishing side by side jigging using the same bait both catching fish but one angler catches a 2 lb fish and the other catches a 2 lb 5 oz fish is it luck or skill?
For me luck, carma, or the good Lord blessing one angler over the other has a large effect on tournament success if you do your home work and find the right fish the rest is the uncontrollable factor in fishing and thats why fishing as a sport is different than other sports because of that large uncontrollable factor.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:50 PM
MarkG

Hello all,,,I am not a tournament fisherman but have read this thread with interest. Though I dont know all the ins and outs of what it takes to "qualify" for the pro events,I would toss my 2Cents in here on the meaning of "Pro" . Pro=Money! If you are trying to use your skill for profit,whether your own,or someone else(your sponsor's) you are a Pro. Technicaly that is! Like the old sayings in NASCAR and NHRA Drag Racing racing.."Win on Sunday,sell on Monday". Why else are there all these sponsors?? If you are really any good at it or not, is a different issue,except for where your skill must at least be sufficiant to get into the show in most venues. That being said,it sounds like some of these "pro" circuits are making it too easy to compete. Seems that is an issue onto itself,rather than if one can be considered a "pro" or not. There really has evolved a double meaning to the word Pro . Many of us would like to reserve it for an individual who is skilled ,experienced,and has proven himself...."The Ole Pro". But the reality is,anyone who is trying to make a living at it,guiding,charters,tournaments,or promotions,must be considered a professional. (Maybe just not with a capital "P" ) But thats OK ! But as in racing,ALL pros should have to qualify for a major event,or at least maybe with some provisionals that would pre qualify one,based on prior finishes,not just being able to pop for the entry fee. Now here is a question I would raise Re RCL?? What is the mission of the RCL Tournament circuit?? To promote their products.Maybe thats why their "qualification" is not related to your skill and success,but rather to what products you own. There's the rub! PS... Walleye Express..When you saw Keith and Gary back then,Kieth was probably still working at IBM Rochester. Think he was an engineer or programer of somesort.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:14 PM
snooker

Just because someone fishes the PWT or RCL does not make them a pro. I have two friends that keep trying and trying to cash a check but still fail. After paying $20k and no checks they still have stickers on their boats! Go figure.

If you make it to the PWT championship, you can call yourself a pro. That is a true indicater for me.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

[b] >And this is also true of tournaments with strict
>qualifications to enter. One still needs; and I repeat!
>Courage, Time, and Money!
>
>But will acknowledge there is a big difference between a Pro,
>and becoming a "Professional". To make the jump into the
>Professional ranks is to be one "good enough" to make a living
>off the endeavor.
>
>Up until the fishing industry (oh yes, and out-of-industry)
>sponsors enough tournament fisherman, enabling them to become
>Professionals, these others who have the wherewithall do more
>than deserve the "Pro" title.

sevenmmm ... Ya got the Gnads (Courage) for sure ~ I hope to see your name amoung the Stars of this Fine Sport in the near future :)