Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Fishing Travel Distance Question - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 08-07-2019, 04:11 PM
Minnow

2 hours each way about every other week. Every spring we make the 890 mile each way trip to Erie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2019, 08:50 PM
Minnow

i go about 4 hours in any direction and everything in between. if i am going to canada...i rent their boat up there
Old 08-08-2019, 05:01 PM
Minnow

Have made the West Arm of Lake Nipissing a June destination the past 4 yrs, 700 miles away. Thought that was far until fishing the MN walleye opener this May, traveling 3250 miles round trip in the process. Whenever I suggest to my wife the idea of moving, she responds "go ahead! I'm not stopping you..." With local fresh waters as dismal as they are, decided a better choice to upgrade the tow vehicle. The principal challenge is finding a co-angler willing to make these extended trips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2019, 07:41 PM
Minnow

Default AZ is a long way from almost everywhere fishy

Most of my “local” bass fishing trips are about 2 hrs each way (2 are only an hour away) to waters that most of you folks would probably consider bathtubs. So, 3-4 times each year, I tow the boat about 1000 miles each way to Clear Lake CA, Lake Fork TX or Falcon Lake TX. And every other year I tow it to Alabama to fish Guntersville et al. And 3-4 times each year I tow it 4 hrs each way to fish along the Lower Colorado River. And every other year or so, I fly to Lake of the Woods for fantastic musky and walleye fishing. Thx to my Dodge Ram 3500 diesel and Goodyear Endurance tires on the trailer of my 2005 Ranger 520 DVX, so far — KNOCK ON WOOD — every trip has been a dream. Oh, and once each year or so I fly to Lake Baccarac in Mexico for the best bass fishing ANYWHERE.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:40 PM
Minnow

My normal distance is 3-10 miles from home. I've made a couple 40 mile trips to Leech or Itasca park to fish muskies.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:08 AM
Wallhanger

Ice out to ice in....I have around 9 lakes locally (up to 1 hour 1 way). My most frequent lake is around 30 minutes. I try to get out a few times a week (depending on work & kids activities).

For full days, I'll go 2 1/2 hrs each way (outstanding bass lake). It's a LONG day though but it's also a fun 15 hr day of wet lines.

For trips, 7 hrs each way for a 3-4 day weekend (same lake). I try to do this at least 2x a year.

Winter changes gears to 1 reservoir around 1 1/4 away for laker trolling as long as it doesn't freeze over.

I'll be out all year if I have a chance. My personal best was an 11 month fishing season, and a bunch of 10 month seasons... best way to winterize a boat is keep using it
Old 08-09-2019, 09:36 AM
Minnow

You guys mostly make me ashamed to be complaining when I have to drive 85 miles one way!
Old 08-09-2019, 09:46 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
You guys mostly make me ashamed to be complaining when I have to drive 85 miles one way!
OMG @170 miles round trip @2.75/gallon @8.6 mpg.... I'd be swinging golf clubs instead of a fishing pole... & probably driving a hybrid
Old 08-10-2019, 10:53 AM
Minnow

300 to 400 miles each way. I'm in Northern Illinois, land of no fish, and I'm not into Salmon fishing. I head to the Northwoods whenever I can, which is not very often because of work.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:45 AM
Wallhanger

I live in Omaha. WE SUCK FOE WALLEYE! So I have to head For Kansas 3 1/2 hours away or up into South Dakota. That starts at 3 hours and is up to 6 hours of one way drive time. Iowa has some smaller bodies of waters that are 90 minutes away. Joe