Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Gulp or live crawlers - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 08-17-2019, 12:21 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-V16 View Post
My personal belief is the rapid rise and fall of the jig is what triggers them. Plus it thumps bottom harder.
I usually use 3/8 oz up there. Sometimes 1/4 if they're real shallow. How heavy of a jig do you use PRO-V16?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2019, 12:28 PM
Keeper

1/4 to about 15', 3/8 when I go deeper.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

I'm in agreement about the need for "action" with any plastic, Gulp or otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2019, 05:42 AM
Wallhanger

This is just my (our) experience -- When the bite is really ON - I will try to switch to either a Gulp crawler or minnow - the minnow always seem to work better. The artificial leech doesn't seem to work as well.

IMHO - you will never outfish live bait with an artificial..............
Old 08-18-2019, 06:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv4fish View Post
This is just my (our) experience -- When the bite is really ON - I will try to switch to either a Gulp crawler or minnow - the minnow always seem to work better. The artificial leech doesn't seem to work as well.

IMHO - you will never outfish live bait with an artificial..............
"When the bite is really ON - I will try to switch" Is this a fair test under these conditions? Seems like the conditions are skewed towards what ever bait is already working.

as an example, lets try the following.

Say you are trolling crankbaits and the fish are really hitting the perch pattern Shadraps. "the bite is really on" but you will try to switch to a lazy Ike or a spoon; results, the Shadrap always seems to work better.

conclusion= you will never outfish the Shadrap with a Lazy Ike or a spoon.

I'm not sure either conclusion is totally accurate.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:35 PM
Keeper

As others have noted when the fish are really active we always switch to Gulp (or other plastics).. You can usually catch numerous fish on a single Gulp minnow and it just saves time from re-baiting. Have a brother who just wants to use plastics (including small crappie type plastics) and he usually catches as many fish as any one in the group (early June..fly-in's)..

I do agree that it helps to change your jigging methods from "snap jigging" to sometimes even just dragging the bottom to find what will trigger the fish.. We are almost always fishing in 4-12fow and use the lightest jigs we can ( 1/16oz, 1/8oz).. Will only go heavier if we have a strong wind..
Old 08-22-2019, 02:16 PM
Minnow

Interesting advice on fishing Gulp versus live bait. I am glad that I dialed up this thread. We have never done very well switching to Gulp, but maybe that is because we have presented it much the same as our live bait. I am going to give it a try next week near Ear Falls with this new information. Can't wait!

2022 Lund 1775 Impact XS
Mercury 115 Pro XS
MinnKota Terrova
Lowrance Elite FS9
Old 08-22-2019, 02:20 PM
Keeper

Good luck and report back. I always buy the buckets of Gulp. They don't dry out like the bagged ones.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:51 PM
Keeper

Default Gulp

I tried gulp for perch when we were up there. Not worth the hassel. Gulp nuggets anyway. I have tried gulp leeches and caught a few walleye on them. We mostly go for perch and crawlers always work best. I have tried the gulp minnows also and not much luck. Just my 2 cents.