Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Adjusting yamaha kicker handle tension - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 07-25-2021, 10:09 PM
Keeper

Default Adjusting yamaha kicker handle tension

So f9.9 2012 yamaha kicker, long shaft, electric start. Great motor on my 1900 Lund Prospirt. So looking at some advice to adjust tiller tension up and down. Not side to side steering…handy little lever to adjust that. Thing is, my kicker sits on my transom which is below height of gunnels and if tiller handle is down frontwards or down to the back, when turning tight in the right direction the handle will hit the gunnel sides. So i stick tiller handle straight up in the air so can turn tight as i want and nothing to interfere with turn. When i first git it it seemed to have more tension and tiller handle would rarely fall…now it falls frequently. But I don’t see anywhere obvious to tighten up a bit. Btw, i have a steering rod tying the kicker into the main motor.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2021, 02:34 AM
Charter Member

You did not provide a model number so this is just a guess. Appears to be a nut (25) and jam nut (24) used to tension and hold the assembly. Loosen the jam nut, adjust the inner nut, then re-tighten the jam nut to lock the adjustment.

Otherwise go to https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha
and look up your exact model, for an illustration of how the tiller handle is attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yamaha tiller.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	328220  

Last edited by Huntindave; 07-26-2021 at 02:36 AM.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:54 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindave View Post
You did not provide a model number so this is just a guess. Appears to be a nut (25) and jam nut (24) used to tension and hold the assembly. Loosen the jam nut, adjust the inner nut, then re-tighten the jam nut to lock the adjustment.

Otherwise go to https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha
and look up your exact model, for an illustration of how the tiller handle is attached.

Thanks Huntindave for this. As stated it is a F9.9 with electric start, tiller handle, long shaft...didn't mention that it is NOT power tilt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2021, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Bunji cord.

Bill
Old 07-27-2021, 08:20 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post
Bunji cord.

Bill
Have one on already but not much fir right height to do a lot of good
Old 07-28-2021, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngknight View Post
Thanks Huntindave for this. As stated it is a F9.9 with electric start, tiller handle, long shaft...didn't mention that it is NOT power tilt.
Glad you got it figured out. BTW The model code may be known by you, but listing the features did not tell me the model number. Guess that is why motor tags list a model number, easier than listing all the individual features.