Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
buying a new lund, and need some help - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 11-02-2010, 11:22 AM
Minnow

Default buying a new lund, and need some help

I'm new to this forum and have spent hours looking around and have found some very usefull information. Thanks

I am going to be ordering a new lund 1975 or 2075 pro v in the next week or two. First off I'm leaning towards the 2075 however then I'm stuck on what HP to go with. I believe I want the verado and would love the 300 but looking at the tests Im not sure if I can afford to keep the gas tank full. so I'm stuck with trying to decide 225, 250 or 300verado. Or maybe scrap the 2075 idea and go with the 1975 and 4cyl 200 verado? I'm not really into top speed but I dont want to be sluggish and underpowered.

Also why do I see almost all boats with a 9.9 kicker when the 15 is only $300 more and only 24lbs heavier?

This will be my first boat should last a long time so I want to get it done right. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2010, 01:43 PM
Wallhanger

Well, if i were to buy a 2075 prov I'd probably spring for a 250 Verado. I have a 1900 prov with a 200 Verado and I can hit low 50's, so I'd guess a 250 on a 2075 would be mid-high 50's, hardly sluggish. If you're fishing a lot of big water the bigger kicker will probably help with boat control and certainly get you back to the dock more quickly if needed . I have a 9.9 bigfoot on mine and love it.

btw, that's a heck of a 1st boat. I really think the gas you spend between a 250 or 300 will be minimal compared to your investment.

Last edited by doubleheader; 11-02-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:21 PM
Wallhanger

If you plan on doing alot of musky trolling buy the 15hp pro kicker otherwise 9.9 is plenty and will do the job great.

Regardless what motor you get 250 or 300 both have more than enough power on that hull regardless of load, lay off the throttle if your concerned about the extra 10 bucks in gas per trip, your saving it in oil by going with the V Rod. Buy the bigger boat you'll never regret that, if your going to pull the trigger on such a rig go all out and buy the big one. A 250 is fine and resale won't hurt you with that motor, lower might if you go with a 225 most guy want the 250.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Get whatever motor you'd like. I've got the 275 Vrod on my 2025, and I can honestly say I've never wished for the 250 instead, or a smaller boat. Gas cost was a concern prior to getting this boat, same as your expressing. It will burn 29.8 gallons an hour at WOT. But you've stated your driving habits are... like mine. I rarely drive WOT. It's nice to give an extra push on the throttle and the boat just lifts right up on plan, and then throttle back to a comfortable cruising speed.

My biggest surprise was, I don't use any more gas with my 275 than I did with my previous motor, a 115 carbed outboard.

Cruising between 3800-5000 rpm, and the motor is very reasonable on gas consumption.

ps, I'd get the 300 and never second guess the decision.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:08 AM
Slot Fish

Default Buy the boat that fits your Fishing Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldk View Post
I'm new to this forum and have spent hours looking around and have found some very usefull information. Thanks

I am going to be ordering a new lund 1975 or 2075 pro v in the next week or two. First off I'm leaning towards the 2075 however then I'm stuck on what HP to go with. I believe I want the verado and would love the 300 but looking at the tests Im not sure if I can afford to keep the gas tank full. so I'm stuck with trying to decide 225, 250 or 300verado. Or maybe scrap the 2075 idea and go with the 1975 and 4cyl 200 verado? I'm not really into top speed but I dont want to be sluggish and underpowered.

Also why do I see almost all boats with a 9.9 kicker when the 15 is only $300 more and only 24lbs heavier?

This will be my first boat should last a long time so I want to get it done right. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Boat size will depend on body of water and your fishing party?
Please don't under power your boat you will regret it.

Lund ProV 1975 power with Verado 225hp and pro 9.9 kicker would be a great combo
or
Lund ProV 2075 with Verado 250 hp / 300hp and pro 15 kicker would be nicer if in your budget?
Old 11-03-2010, 06:31 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldk View Post

I've always been a go big, or go home kind of guy. However with that being said, I've really been reconsidering that thought over the last year as I've been looking at a new rig.

Looking at your options, I would seriously consider the 1975 with the 225 Verado. 9.9 Pro Kicker on the back. Terrova 101# with I pilot on the bow. Smooth Moves seat mounts. You choice of HB or Lowrance with side imaging.

I think you'd be extremely happy with that setup. The only difference is a foot in length. According to the floor plans, you'll gain that foot on the main deck. The bow appears to be the same length. So you aren't even really gaining that much storage space (about 1 sq'). A grand total of 8 sq' more in the 2075. 170# more weight in the 2075 as well. Not sure if the added foot changes the ride that much.

Last edited by Wade B AKA: Ruger2506; 11-03-2010 at 06:37 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Geraldk
Not sure where in the world you're located, but there's a 2010 1975/225 V-rod in the Craigslist classifieds for the Mpls area. Maybe see if you can take it out for a run.
HRG
Old 11-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Minnow

Thanks for the advice everyone,
I will probably end up with the 2075 and 250. I wont be fishing alot of big water however there will be some trips where we cross approx 100miles of water one way to get to the fishing area and there is no towns or anybody up there so I would have to bring enough gas for 200plus miles and enough for trolling for 3 or 4 days so every gallon does make a difference. I've got a week to really give this some good thought, might have to flip a coin..lol
Old 11-03-2010, 11:01 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
Geraldk
Not sure where in the world you're located, but there's a 2010 1975/225 V-rod in the Craigslist classifieds for the Mpls area. Maybe see if you can take it out for a run.
HRG

I'm up in northern Alberta....like really far north. just south of the 60th parallel. but thanks anyway
Old 11-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Wallhanger

Max it out. You'll always wish you did if you do not.
PS : (I sold a butt load of Lund ProVs in my days)

Tags
1975 , 2075 , lund , pro v