Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Opti Max 150 vs. Yamaha 4 Stroke 150 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 11-04-2008, 08:04 PM
alexbballa

Exclamation Opti Max 150 vs. Yamaha 4 Stroke 150

which is better and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2008, 03:46 AM

use the search feature here. you'll have plenty of reading to do and it will still come down to personnal preference.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Wallhanger

The optimax will be louder, and on most boats, faster.

Boat Nut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2008, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat nut View Post
The optimax will be louder, and on most boats, faster.
Yes the optimax will be louder and it is a little faster out of the hole and top end. But keep in mind it is not that much difference.

I have experience with both and think they are both excellant motors.

I own the 150 opti but would prefer the quietness of the 4 stroke. If they are simliar price I would get the 4stroke.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:44 AM
Wallhanger

Only rode in a boat with the Opti, but I own a F150, the opti did seem to have a bit better hole shot, but the F150 was a by far quieter motor, both seem to do the job well, but I'll suffer with a second or two longer to get to plane to be able to hear the wife complaining I'm going to fast...

The dreaded maintenance a 4 stroke has takes me about a hour max, once a year..pretty minor in my book considering I no longer buy 2 cycle oil.

I'm thinking time to plane has a lot to do with the driver and tilt settings also, my 185 Tourney sport gets up to plane pretty quick if I have the motor set right.

Al
Old 11-07-2008, 08:27 AM
Keeper

I have this same set up with a tournament sport and a 150 yammie and was wondering what your top soeed is? Mine seems to be 47-48 mph on gps with 2 people and a normal load including a 9.9 kicker.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

I always chuckle a bit when folks compare speed and power of 2 stroke engines and 4 stroke engines.

Power is power is power.
1 hp made from a 2 cyle engine = 1 hp made from a 4 cycle engine.

If you have 150 prop shaft hp made from a 2 cycle engine, you will have exactly the same power as if you have 150 hp made from a 4 cycle engine.

Having said that - you can find lots of motors with a 150 hp rating that may perform very differently on different boats.

Several reasons:

1. Just because you have a 150 hp sticker on the motor does not guarentee that you have 150 hp shaft hp on that particular engine.
You may have hp that ranges somewhere between 140 hp and 160 hp.
Possibly a bit more and possibly a bit less.

2. Gear ratios -
Some engines have a high gear ratio, some have a low gear ratio.
The gear ratio does not affect shaft hp, but it can make a very big difference as to what the best prop is for a particular rig.

3. Engine rpm, verses hp.
As stated earlier, 150 2 cycle hp = 140 4 cycle hp.
However, one 2 cycle engine may develop this hp at 5000 rpm and one 4 cycle engine may develop this hp at 6000 rpm.
Nothing wrong with either engine - just a different rating.

I think that in virtually every case - if you have the absolute best prop for the given engine you are running, and find that one engine performs faster than another - I suspect that you will find that the faster engine actually develops more prop shaft hp.

So, it simply goes back to the buyer to be sure that he gets what he wants. If in doubt - always ask for a test run on a particular boat and motor before buying such a rig. Just to get a good feel for the reality of the particular combination.

Also, be aware the for most overall fishing boats, the absolute top speed is really not the most important part of the equation. About the only time that absolute top speed is truley relevant for fisherman is for the tournament fisherman, where he needs to beat a weigh in time, or get to a spot first to fish it first.
Many things are typically more important - .i.e. hole shot to work big water, smooth idle, good midrange, good power transitions, and for many folks today -- --- noise levels at all rpm levels. Also, don't discount the ease of starting.

Take care
REW
Old 11-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Wallhanger

Power is power is power.
1 hp made from a 2 cyle engine = 1 hp made from a 4 cycle engine.

Yes this is basicaly true. Power curve and torque make the difference between 2 and 4 stroke engines. They both produce the same HP but run different. Most 4 strokes are not good on low end, unless specifaclly proped for it, then top end is lost. Load down your boat and take off that is where the 2 stroke shines. Getting heavy boat up on plane in skinny water 2 stroke all the way. There are the exceptions turbo charged 4 strokes like the Verado. now that sucker can get out of the hole. Darn near as good as my Opti.

Last edited by TomP.; 11-11-2008 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-12-2008, 10:38 AM
Wallhanger

The real question is what are the pros and cons of each engine and which one would be better for you. I would say both are good, dependable motors.

HP is HP but that is not the whole story. The torque curve will be different for the 2 motors and for many people torque is not know or understood. Some engines develop high torque at low RPM's and others have a more gradual build up of torque. If having the strongest hole shot and is important then an engine that develops torque at low rpm's will be better. Having more cubic inches usually improves low end torque too. If you like to run near max speed/rpm's and save on gas then you should look at which one burns less fuel at the top end.

You hear people claim that this motor does this or that but really you should look at what you want and need. So what if someone else is a couple of miles and hour faster and you dont drive fast.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

HP is HP, but power is not always all about HP as stated above. The torque that is produced in a 2 stroke at lower RPM's is what gets the boat out of the hole. And there is a noticable difference between the 150 Opti, and the 150 4 strokes.

And even with equally rated motors, the Opti will have better performance throuout the RPM range than the 150 Yamaha 4 stroke. It's just a bit louder, though.