Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Can cooked chicken come across the border? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 05-24-2015, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Default Can cooked chicken come across the border?

We usually bring a meal of frozen pre-cooked Chicken Alfredo with us in June. Will this be allowed? I was up two weeks ago and they make those with poultry products walk to the dumpster and deposit. Saw tons of eggs and a frozen Turkey!
Forgot to ask at that time if cooked poultry was ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2015, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure. One site says fully cooked poultry is allowed, but another say only fully cooked, canned, commercially sterile meat products. My guess would be that frozen in a zip-lock bag or tupperware would not be allowed. It's hard to differentiate fully cooked from raw when it's frozen. Might be simpler to change the menu this year.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:14 PM
Keeper

Talking

No. Once they are cooked they are dead and can't walk across the road. Sorry, I just could not resist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2015, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlee View Post
No. Once they are cooked they are dead and can't walk across the road. Sorry, I just could not resist.
Nominated for best answer of the day!
Old 05-25-2015, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

Very simple solution, just buy it up in Canada once you cross the border. If time is a problem then contact your lodge or outfitter and make arrangements to have them pick you up some chicken. Takes the guesswork out of whether to bring it or not.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Still wondering if anyone knows for sure if the latest Poultry restriction includes cooked chicken.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:45 PM
Wallhanger

Scar:

According to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency website, fully cooked poultry is allowed as of the last update on 5-12-15.

The website is www.inspection.gc.ca

I would read the restrictions as written and also print a copy of the page to take with you if there would be any questions at the border. Obviously, the border agent can make the fianl decision regardless of what is published on the CFIA website.

There has been quite a few threads on WC regarding this subject so using the search function may lend itself useful to catch up on past discussions.

Good luck on your trip. The dinner you have planned sounds very nice.

PjShorthorn
Old 05-25-2015, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Default Banned poultry, from official website as of 5/12/15

Scar,
Poultry products are only banned from these 15 States: Arkansas, California, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Washington, & Wisconsin. If for example you are from: Ohio, New York, Pennsylvania or Illinois or any other of the 35 non banned states, you should be OK bringing in poultry products with a store receipt from a non banned state.
Examples of restricted items include, poultry meat, (other than fully cooked, canned commercially sterile meat products). This statement from the official website probably prohibits an individual from cooking and importing poultry meat.

I hope this helps,
Seanik in Erie Pa

Last edited by Seanik; 05-25-2015 at 05:11 PM. Reason: mispelled word
Old 05-25-2015, 05:29 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanik View Post
Scar,
Poultry products are only banned from these 15 States: Arkansas, California, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Washington, & Wisconsin. If for example you are from: Ohio, New York, Pennsylvania or Illinois or any other of the 35 non banned states, you should be OK bringing in poultry products with a store receipt from a non banned state.
Examples of restricted items include, poultry meat, (other than fully cooked, canned commercially sterile meat products). This statement from the official website probably prohibits an individual from cooking and importing poultry meat.

I hope this helps,
Seanik in Erie Pa
Good advice. I'd only add that the origin of the poultry is also important. A person could purchase poultry from a banned state in a state where no ban exists (i.e. chicken from a Golden Plump farm in MN could be purchased in OH, NY, PA, etc.)