Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New Mega+ Imaging - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 03-05-2019, 07:58 AM
Wallhanger

Default New Mega+ Imaging

I got an advertisement today from Humminbird about a new Mega+ imaging, evidently an improvement over Mega imaging in distance and clarity. Does any know if this will be a software update? I just did the 3.360 update, hopefully this is another update and not some entire new unit you need to purchase.

https://www.humminbird.com/learn/ima...gesPlusTM_Text
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2019, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Does any know if this will be a software update?
I think the mega+ requires a new transducer.
Would be nice if backward compatable.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:30 AM
Slot Fish

The Mega+ is a new unit with a new transducer, the old units cannot be upgraded to Mega+. The 3.360 software upgrade does change the screen layout to what is used on the new units.
Custom trailer
36v Ultrex
36v Vantage
15ft Talon
Wave wackers
5 batteries/5 Dual Pro chargers
2 Vexilar flashers
2 Humminbird Solix 12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2019, 08:36 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooltech View Post
The Mega+ is a new unit with a new transducer, the old units cannot be upgraded to Mega+. The 3.360 software upgrade does change the screen layout to what is used on the new units.
If that's true, that stinks. Seems like Lowrance tries to give you options to upgrade. Fish reveal and live imaging for example.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:36 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott C View Post
If that's true, that stinks. Seems like Lowrance tries to give you options to upgrade. Fish reveal and live imaging for example.
I guess they could have waited a couple more years to release it. The transducer imaging elements are larger and they changed the circuitry in the unit to help with the range. I switched from Lowrance because they would not fix a 3 year old unit. They did offer me a couple hundred off a new one for the upgrade. Electronics have and will always keep changing. It can be frustrating. Bob
Old 03-05-2019, 04:50 PM
Slot Fish

Default Gen 2 vs Gen 3

My understanding is that the new Gen 3 has improved CHIRP 2d, side and down scan, with a new transducer. Being called "High-Wide" for the full spectrum of frequencies available (140-240 kHz).
The new High Wide, true CHIRP transducers are compatible with Gen 2 units after updating to the current software (version 1.900). Been told the transducer is +/-$90. Then your Gen 2 unit will have the improved CHIRP 2d, but not the improved down/side scan.
Minnkota Terrova w/IPilot Link
2021 Chev LT Trail Boss 6.2L
Old 03-05-2019, 05:45 PM
Wallhanger

I have a Solix and bought the new 2D transducer to hook up as my high speed transducer. Still too cold to hook it up but the screenshots I have seen look like a big improvement. Bob
Mine is transom mount: Humminbird Xnt-14-Hw-T Dual Spectrum Chrip . They do have a Shoot through and a trolling motor mount also. I am using it with my mega si ducer with "Y" cable

Last edited by Ozark Bob; 03-05-2019 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:12 PM
Wallhanger

These electronics upgrades are nuts....I went to Mega SI last year and still feel like it's cheating All I know for sure is they will continue to reinvent the mousetrap,,,, and,,, It will always be smarter than I am. I made the switch and am glad I did, But I think figuring out how to use it to the fullest will benefit me as much and definitely be cheaper than switching again. At 65 I hope this is a 10 year upgrade as that is about how old my last Lowrance stuff was. I say this after seeing the new Garmin Panoptic? at the Madison Boat Show last week. WOW was that amazing equipment !!!! But as I said I still feel like I'm cheating with my SI .