Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
“How did your camp owner handle refund deposits” - Page 31 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Bone Orchard > WC Bone Yard

Old 01-11-2021, 06:25 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=RichA$1970;6515860]Hopefully the border opens or there are grants available by the government if they deem to close an industry. It’s almost like putting the lakes in a farmland CRP[/QUOTE]

Land put back into production after sitting idle in CRP is generally more productive when it is available to be used again, no reason to think our lakes won't be the same way, even after just 2 years (more fish, more larger fish).

I don't totally agree with those that are ragging on Clarks, as I understand it [B]they did have a no-refund policy on deposits in place prior to the pandemic[/B], it contained no act of God clause, so that is pretty clear. For the people that paid their deposit and were crying because they did not want to hold up their end of the bargain I say this, it tells me a lot about that clients integrity, certainly not the sort of person I can respect, if money is that tight why don't they stay home and make their car payments. With that said I think Clarks dropped the ball and could have handled it differently, they obviously went into survival mode too quickly before weighing the consequences, they did what they needed to do (including starting up a bait shop) in order to maintain cash flow and keep some of their people employed. If they do survive this apocalypses, I suspect with fewer outpost operations left in business in 2022, their outpost cabins will look pretty good to those looking for that experience and in need of an alternate camp to go too. Yes they will probably lose a few clients because of their initial decision. Not a pretty time to be a camp owner, to face the possibility of losing your business and all of it be totally out of their control would be more than awful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2021, 06:51 AM
Minnow

[QUOTE=RichA$1970;6515860]Hopefully the border opens or there are grants available by the government if they deem to close an industry. It’s almost like putting the lakes in a farmland CRP[/QUOTE]

Worst part is in Ontario, that the politicians who are in the Southern part running the province believe that tourism had a great year in Ontario because the large population leaving Toronto to visit the small lodges around there were filled.
But anything up north, that's 20-26 hours away, had no population to pull from,
Grants won't come to those resorts because they won't worry about areas with low voting numbers and they're just expendable in the large populations eyes. Sad.
Old 01-11-2021, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=Crawfordscamp;6515914]Worst part is in Ontario, that the politicians who are in the Southern part running the province believe that tourism had a great year in Ontario because the large population leaving Toronto to visit the small lodges around there were filled.
But anything up north, that's 20-26 hours away, had no population to pull from,
Grants won't come to those resorts because they won't worry about areas with low voting numbers and they're just expendable in the large populations eyes. Sad.[/QUOTE]

You are spot on with that observation. I do think though that it is possible for a strong voice (NOTO) to be able to make itself heard. I hope we can continue to push for some financial relief if things turn sour in 2021.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:12 AM
Wallhanger

Wouldn't hold my breathe to long Gord youll pass out first.Seems the gov only likes to help the air industry bring in more covid cases.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:13 AM
Keeper

Default Camps / Deposits

Bottom line to me is Deposits should be a deterrent to last minute cancellations
NOT
A means of support / survival !

If they are being used to survive then it is not a sound business period
Old 01-11-2021, 07:58 AM
Wallhanger

You could be right about that with governents keeping businesses from operating.One year ok might recoup but 2 years would be pretty devastating.Dont think any kind of business anywhere would last long in that situation.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:04 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=Skywagon;6515912]Land put back into production after sitting idle in CRP is generally more productive when it is available to be used again, no reason to think our lakes won't be the same way, even after just 2 years (more fish, more larger fish).

I don't totally agree with those that are ragging on Clarks, as I understand it [B]they did have a no-refund policy on deposits in place prior to the pandemic[/B], it contained no act of God clause, so that is pretty clear.

Refunds are completely different than rolling forward to another date or year.

I would bet some of the camps that some of the camps that stepped up to honor all deposits in full next year also have a no refund policy, that is not the point.
Act of God? more like a Chinese attack on the world economy!
Old 01-11-2021, 08:13 AM
Wallhanger

Agree on that statement
Old 01-11-2021, 09:58 AM
Wallhanger

The government and politicians will follow where the votes are so the rural areas get screwed. No taxation without representation is what’s needed to be heard by the big city governments
Old 01-11-2021, 10:26 AM
Keeper

IMO I would hold off on going after lodge owners on refunding deposits for this upcoming season. Last summer was one thing. But if this goes south this season it will not matter. The devastation will be terrible. Deposits from 2019/2020 will most definitely be spent this summer to get through this. There will be nothing to refund. Nothing.

There was no bailout. No grants. No PPP (like in the states). And in NW Ontario its game over with a second straight lost season. I love my guests. And will do whatever I can to help them out. I am not looking to debate this. But want guests to know that your favorite lodges are on the very real verge of going under. Their not refunding of your deposit has nothing to do with a bad business practice, or lack of empathy for their guests or anything of the sort. There is no or will be no money left to give, nor a business to go to.

-FT