Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Beginner Rob/Reel Question - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Muskie Central > General Discussion

Old 03-12-2018, 05:03 PM
Slot Fish

Default Beginner Rob/Reel Question

Last summer while in Canada I put down the walleye rods in the evening and started casting for muskie using the "heavier" (relative) tackle I had. After landing 4 fish in a week I'm sold on the light tackle muskie fishing. I am considering a new St. Croix "Downsizer" 7'-3" MH rod and would like suggestions for a reel? Is the Shimano Tranx 300 too big for this rod/application?
Any other suggestions? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2018, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Personally I like the 8 foot top n tail myself, as the additional length makes casting easier, along with figure 8's. Either way, the Tranx 300 would be fine for you as a muskie reel.

Good luck
Rev 4 / High Five
Old 03-14-2018, 11:09 AM
Wallhanger

What rod will depend on what you want to throw with it, not many rods are one size/action fits all.

I have 3 setups now and will be adding an additional rod.

I have a st croix LT Long Ranger it's 8'6 MH, it's the perfect rod for small bucktails, top water, small to medium size cranks, spinner baits. It does NOT due well with heavy baits but it's not built for them. I have a Lexa 300 HD in 7:1

Next St Croix LT "the jerk" 7'6 XH rated for up to 8 oz. Throws jerkbaits and gliders great with alot of hookset ability. Have a Lexa 400 HD in 6:3 on this one.

Next Compre 8'6 XH with Tranx 500. This rod will throw anything very well except pounders and for the money I love the rod and probably use it the most.

I'm going to get either the 9'6 Chaos Shock and Awe or the new St Croix Premier Rubber rod for throwing big rubber pounders ect, I'll put the Tranx 500 on it when I go to St Clair and use the Compre while fishing home waters.

The Tran 300 is too small, go with the 400. Short Musky rods are not great, they don't have a ton of leverage and are horrible for figure 8's which will cost you fish. ANY rod you will be throwing any bucktail with go with a 8'0 or better yet 8'6.

The St Croix LT Sling Blade is basically a 8'6 version of the big nasty it will throw anything within reason very well.

I started with a 8ft H rod with an abu garcia 50HS in 6:3 it was a great do it all rod. I would look at Mojo Musky H action in 8 ft if you want a good do it all rod.

Obviously alot of awesome rods out there from Thorn Bros, Elk River, Chaos, Tackle industries, Tooth tamer etc. Depends what you want to spend.

I would stick with a 6:3.6:1 gear ratio as you can throw any type of bait without being too fast or too slow. The higher the gear ratio big blades suck and slower they are alot of work so 6 range gear ratios are good do it all in betweens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2018, 01:12 PM
Minnow

Don't know much about Reel, but I've heard Rob is a shady character.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:00 PM
Wallhanger

I have a medium heavy Mojo rod 8' paired with a Revo Toro Beast. I also have a, 8' heavy Mojo and just switch the reel when I throw huge baits.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:25 PM
Wallhanger

Like said, depends on what size/weight lures your gonna throw, a basic MH rod like from Tooth Tamer works for most of the stuff you'll want to start with.
Throwing the huge baits will get tiring and boring fairly quick, start small to med and work up if the bug still bites.

I fished them for years with Diawa 6h Millionaire reels and while the big baits will destroy a reel that size, it'll handle most bucktails and med to small hardbaits

I run Calcutta B reels by Shimano and have had good luck with them, whatever works and feels good to you is what I'd say go with.
The D series is a nicer reel but not needed, and way more spendy.
imho

al