Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Time for new electronics... - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 09-01-2019, 04:10 PM
Slot Fish

Question Time for new electronics...

I just found out today that the two 900 series 'birds that came with my boat are now "not being supported". Both have had minor issues but they seem to run fine for now. However... When a problem does arise, there's no hope of a fix.

The boat is rigged for HB. SI and 2D on the transom. Using the built-in on the Terrova up front. Is it possible any of this network can be reused with new head units?

I like my HB units but is the grass greener on the Lowrance side of the fence? I haven't had to chose new electronics for close to a decade.

Where do you start?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2019, 04:17 PM
Wallhanger

I think the new transducers are better than the old ones,....
Not sure if they work with the newer helix stuff,..

I left my old blue connector lowrance units to upgrade to a helix 12,...

I'm happy,....
Old 09-01-2019, 05:25 PM
Wallhanger

I am a Lowrance guy and have been for 45 years, however if something happened and drove me to the edge I would consider a switch but I may be too old to learn a new operating system. Some good units out there
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2019, 07:57 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSO_Fishing View Post
I just found out today that the two 900 series 'birds that came with my boat are now "not being supported". Both have had minor issues but they seem to run fine for now. However... When a problem does arise, there's no hope of a fix.

The boat is rigged for HB. SI and 2D on the transom. Using the built-in on the Terrova up front. Is it possible any of this network can be reused with new head units?

I like my HB units but is the grass greener on the Lowrance side of the fence? I haven't had to chose new electronics for close to a decade.

Where do you start?
If you have Ethernet it is compatible with the exception of the first Ethernet switch if you had one. Helix line should be a pretty easy transition for you. Bob
Old 09-02-2019, 01:07 AM
Keeper

I still have an 898 si and last year got a Helix 10 si gn2. Once you see the clarity and improvements you will use the old unit for gps only lol. And after switching back & forth realize the gps with the new puck is even better. Now I’m planning a second Helix, problem is I can’t decide if the gn3 is worth the extra dollars. The core unit to gn2 change was incredible. Can the gn3 be that much better than the gn2? Decisions, decisions lol 😂
2011 MinnKota Terrova 80# 24V w/ I Pilot Link
Humminbird 898 HD SI
Lakemaster Wisconsin & Great Lakes SD Cards
Navionics North & East SD Cards
MinnKota Deckhand 40 Electric Anchors Bow & Stern
Old 09-02-2019, 04:46 AM
Wallhanger

Helix has the same operating system as the 900s so you've got that familiarity going for you. No reason not to continue using the US2 on the front and upgrade the transom xducer to whatever your console unit requires. A simple GPS/2D unit on the bow would do fine unless you want to ad DI or SI there which would need an add on transducer or one of the new trolling motors.

I'd look at getting a MEGA for the console and a GPS 2D for the front. Someone else can answer if with Helix the ethernet is the same as with the 900s, I think it is.

Hope this helped a bit.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

There was a switch to a slightly newer Ethernet box maybe 7 years ago so that it would be compatible with Onix/Solix units. The new switch is model AS ETH 5PXG.

The new one works with Helix/900/Solix/Onix, basically everything. If you have the older model, which is any number other than the one above it should still work with Helix units, but is not compatible with the new Solix or older Onix units.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:43 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plunker View Post
There was a switch to a slightly newer Ethernet box maybe 7 years ago so that it would be compatible with Onix/Solix units. The new switch is model AS ETH 5PXG.

The new one works with Helix/900/Solix/Onix, basically everything. If you have the older model, which is any number other than the one above it should still work with Helix units, but is not compatible with the new Solix or older Onix units.
Helix needs the 5PXG to work properly. Has to do with Multicasting I believe. Bob