Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Humminbird helix setup question - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 09-06-2019, 08:27 AM
Minnow

Default Humminbird helix setup question

I currently have a humminbird helix 10 mega DI. I just ordered a humminbird helix 9 mega side imaging. I also have a Minn Kota Terrova iPilot Link.

I was thinking about putting the helix 9 mega SI in the rear of the boat, with the helix 10 mega DI at the bow, where I'm usually fishing from and controlling the trolling motor, with both helix units and the ipilot link networked.

Would this work smoothly to display side imaging on the helix 10 DI when networked? I want to utilize the higher pixel count of the helix 10 and also the mega side imaging of the helix 9.

Thank you.

Last edited by Ryltar; 09-06-2019 at 08:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2019, 01:43 PM
Keeper

If the 10 is only DI and not SI, you will not be able to share side imaging from the 9. Both units need to have SI built in to do so.
See posts #6 & 7 https://www.walleyecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=697898

Last edited by RistoRap; 09-06-2019 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:18 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RistoRap View Post
If the 10 is only DI and not SI, you will not be able to share side imaging from the 9. Both units need to have SI built in to do so.
See posts #6 & 7 https://www.walleyecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=697898
Just a little clarification ...

The OP in this thread : https://www.walleyecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=697898 was asking about physically connecting a SI xducer to a Sonar only unit to get SI on the Sonar only unit ... (which is not possible) ...

The OP in the current thread here is asking about sharing Sonar from G2N to G2N thru ethernet ... (which is possible) ...

Page 32 (indicated in 10" G2N units)
https://www.humminbird.com/sites/hum...grid_v10_0.pdf

Rickie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2019, 10:03 AM
Minnow

I figured it would work. Does anyone have any experience with a similar setup utilizing a larger screen fishfinder networked to pull mega side imaging from another unit? Does it work smoothly?

Would it be worth doing? Or should I just run them non networked, and the Helix 9 mega SI unit on the bow where I am. I mainly want two units so that the people I have fishing with me can see what structure is coming up in a drift.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:28 PM
Wallhanger

I can weigh in and help on this. My boat is setup with a helix 10 G2N SI at the the bow, a Helix 10 G3N SI and a Helix G3N DI at the console. Have them networked through the HB Ethernet hub along with my MK Ulterra.

With this setup, I can pull the side imaging and down imaging and 2d sonar from the mast SI unit on the dash to both the DI unit on the dash and the front G2N SI bow unit.

A few things to note; you’ll need to use the correct y cable to connect both the 2d and SI to the primary SI unit. When you fire up all the units, I notice it takes the slave units a few minutes to network and pickup the signal from the master unit.

About the only problems I’ve experienced is I also have the front unit connected to my Minnkota TM transducer and it will always default to the transducer that’s direct connected to the unit. If I want to pull 2d through the network from the rear transducer on the bow unit, I have to manually change it every time I power down the unit.

Hope this helps,
Old 09-08-2019, 08:35 PM
Wallhanger

FYI, I would network them, it works very well. If you have an I-link trolling motor, I would also highly recommend adding it to the network. You can then navigate to points and follow contours with the TM. You can also mark waypoints from the TM remote and you can also control the TM through your helix units. I never thought I’d ever use that part of it but it’s super handy for deploying and retracting the ulterra and you also get a direction indicator on you god screen showing the direction your TM is pointed and another showing your expected path taking into account current, wind, etc. works pretty slick!
Old 09-09-2019, 09:10 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLE View Post
I can weigh in and help on this. My boat is setup with a helix 10 G2N SI at the the bow, a Helix 10 G3N SI and a Helix G3N DI at the console. Have them networked through the HB Ethernet hub along with my MK Ulterra.

With this setup, I can pull the side imaging and down imaging and 2d sonar from the mast SI unit on the dash to both the DI unit on the dash and the front G2N SI bow unit.

A few things to note; youíll need to use the correct y cable to connect both the 2d and SI to the primary SI unit. When you fire up all the units, I notice it takes the slave units a few minutes to network and pickup the signal from the master unit.

About the only problems Iíve experienced is I also have the front unit connected to my Minnkota TM transducer and it will always default to the transducer thatís direct connected to the unit. If I want to pull 2d through the network from the rear transducer on the bow unit, I have to manually change it every time I power down the unit.

Hope this helps,
I think if you go to the network screen you can select what you want displayed where. When it comes up it takes a few moments to find everything - Don't select yes when it tells you not found because that is just the network has not found everything yet.
15í Talon
Ultera
Humminbird Helix X 2
Old 09-10-2019, 08:20 AM
Wallhanger

The problem is the unit automatically defaults to the sonar that is directly connected to the the unit each time the unit is totally powered off via the master power switch for the boat. Basically, because the TM sonar link is connected directly to the front Helix Unit, that's the one it auto defaults to. Yes , you can go in to the settings and select the other 2d transducer on the network, but you have to do this each time the unit it completely powered down. didn't have to do that with with my previous HDS setups.

My other complaint that I didn't mention is the way-point sharing. On my last boat I had 3 Lowrance HDS units. if I marked a way-point on one unit, it stored it on all three. If only one unit was powered on when you set a way-point, the other would pick it up and store it as soon as they were powered on. With the HB, it only actually stores on the unit you set it on. The way-point will display across all units on the network, however, if you shut off the unit it was originally set on, it will disappear from the other two units. Where this is a pita, is marking way-points on the bow unit because I do not always use that one. if it's not turned on, I then do not have access to those points unless I turn on the bow unit. Talking with support, they only way to transfer those points is to store them to and SD card and then put the SD card in the other units and download the points. its dumb. This could be easily rectified with a simple software update but I'm sure bird won't do it. It's one of my biggest complaints, well that and they were clueless about networking my G2N to the new G3Ns and the transducer compatibility last spring but that's a whole nother story, lol.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:29 PM
Slot Fish

Yes, you can network them together with the networking hub. I have a non SI/DI Helix 10 connected with a Helix 10 that is SI/DI and it is nice to be able to view that on both units. PM me if you have any questions about it!