Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Opening the Locks between Green Bay and Lake Winnebago - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2007, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Default Opening the Locks between Green Bay and Lake Winnebago

The projections are for the locks to begin opening in 2008 and for full access between Green Bay and Lake Winnebago and the upper lakes and rivers by 2010. The plan to prevent invasive species from traveling into Lake Winnebago and beyond is to employ a boat lift at Rapid Croche (rather than a lock).

From an article in Water Sports 2006, "Growth is a Lock" published by Auto Gazette and Journal Publishing, Menasha, WI.... at page 11;

" The Lower Fox lock system...was officially closed in 1986, but it hade been unused by commercial traffic since the 1950s. The lock at Rapid Croche was sealed in 1987 to prevent the migration of sea lampreys from Lake Michigan to Lake Winnebago. The Rapid Croche lock will remain closed to prevent the movement of lampreys and other invasive into the Lake Winnebago, the Upper Fox, the Wolf River and other parts of the waterway. Instead, boat lifts will be used at Rapid Croche, with the southbound (upriver) boat lift used to cleanse boats of any invasive species before boats head upriver toward Lake Winnebago."

Much of the justification is based around economic issues, increased tourism dollars for the upriver and lakes area and increased real estate values for shoreline owners.

Is this plan enough? What about livewells and bilge water? Are we about to become victims of the "Rule of unintended consequences", from something totally unforseen? Does the projected and expected benefit outweigh the potential risks?
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2007, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Default Opening the Locks between Green Bay and Lake Winnebago

The projections are for the locks to begin opening in 2008 and for full access between Green Bay and Lake Winnebago and the upper lakes and rivers by 2010. The plan to prevent invasive species from traveling into Lake Winnebago and beyond is to employ a boat lift at Rapid Croche (rather than a lock).

From an article in Water Sports 2006, "Growth is a Lock" published by Auto Gazette and Journal Publishing, Menasha, WI.... at page 11;

" The Lower Fox lock system...was officially closed in 1986, but it hade been unused by commercial traffic since the 1950s. The lock at Rapid Croche was sealed in 1987 to prevent the migration of sea lampreys from Lake Michigan to Lake Winnebago. The Rapid Croche lock will remain closed to prevent the movement of lampreys and other invasive into the Lake Winnebago, the Upper Fox, the Wolf River and other parts of the waterway. Instead, boat lifts will be used at Rapid Croche, with the southbound (upriver) boat lift used to cleanse boats of any invasive species before boats head upriver toward Lake Winnebago."

Much of the justification is based around economic issues, increased tourism dollars for the upriver and lakes area and increased real estate values for shoreline owners.

Is this plan enough? What about livewells and bilge water? Are we about to become victims of the "Rule of unintended consequences", from something totally unforseen? Does the projected and expected benefit outweigh the potential risks?
Old 03-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Default RE: Opening the Locks between Green Bay and Lake Winnebago

Greg, This will be a hot topic at Ice Breaker. It is my understanding that the lift is not enough to keep some of the projected invasivers from entering the system. There is a potential for the devistation of our walleye or white bass population, or both. The proposed dollar boost to the economy from those boats could not outweigh the 235 million dollars in "tourism dollars" spent on fishing the system right now.

If you want the REAL story, be at Ice Breaker 2, March 10th in Fremont, WI. Chad Cook from the DNR/UW Extension will give a very informative Power Point presentation on the topic at 2:15 PM. BE THERE! This is something all fishermen need to be educated on and "together" in our stance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Greg, This will be a hot topic at Ice Breaker. It is my understanding that the lift is not enough to keep some of the projected invasivers from entering the system. There is a potential for the devistation of our walleye or white bass population, or both. The proposed dollar boost to the economy from those boats could not outweigh the 235 million dollars in "tourism dollars" spent on fishing the system right now.

If you want the REAL story, be at Ice Breaker 2, March 10th in Fremont, WI. Chad Cook from the DNR/UW Extension will give a very informative Power Point presentation on the topic at 2:15 PM. BE THERE! This is something all fishermen need to be educated on and "together" in our stance.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

I think you should be worried. In Michigan, we all the invasive species in Erie, for example. But boats being used in Erie and towed to inland lakes are spreading the creatures all over the inland lakes. I dont see that a boat lift would do much good from what has happened here.

Dad shot the little fellow.

Mary had a little pig.
Her father shot it dead.
Now it goes to school with her,
Between two hunks of bread.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

I think you should be worried. In Michigan, we all the invasive species in Erie, for example. But boats being used in Erie and towed to inland lakes are spreading the creatures all over the inland lakes. I dont see that a boat lift would do much good from what has happened here.

Mary had a little pig.
Her father shot it dead.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

>I think you should be worried. In Michigan, we all the
>invasive species in Erie, for example. But boats being used in
>Erie and towed to inland lakes are spreading the creatures all
>over the inland lakes. I dont see that a boat lift would do
>much good from what has happened here.

This is "EXACTLY" what has me worried. The big push for this (opening the locks and installing the lifts) is the projected economic boost to the local economies and the local real estate tax base from increased property values. However, if this results in a degradation or even total destruction of the FANTASTIC fishery we enjoy on the Winnebago system... then there will be a big negative economic impact.

Brian, do you have any published info on the spread of invasive species that I could review. I would like to begin to rally some further concerns. I know in one view this is a done deal and we may not be able to affect a change but it is worth trying to first become more educated and then try to shape policy if there is a deomnstrable threat.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

>I think you should be worried. In Michigan, we all the
>invasive species in Erie, for example. But boats being used in
>Erie and towed to inland lakes are spreading the creatures all
>over the inland lakes. I dont see that a boat lift would do
>much good from what has happened here.

This is "EXACTLY" what has me worried. The big push for this (opening the locks and installing the lifts) is the projected economic boost to the local economies and the local real estate tax base from increased property values. However, if this results in a degradation or even total destruction of the FANTASTIC fishery we enjoy on the Winnebago system... then there will be a big negative economic impact.

Brian, do you have any published info on the spread of invasive species that I could review. I would like to begin to rally some further concerns. I know in one view this is a done deal and we may not be able to affect a change but it is worth trying to first become more educated and then try to shape policy if there is a deomnstrable threat.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

ttt
Old 03-05-2007, 05:33 AM
Charter Member

there is all kinds of info out there. have you tried doing s search?

Mary had a little pig.
Her father shot it dead.